AniNate

Joy | David O. Russell | Christmas 2015 | New Trailer on Page 20!

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if this flops I gotta say poor Bcoop. the start of the year was like the biggest moment of his career, and the rest of the year has been determined to be all "fuck you bradley cooper"

To be fair, Aloha and Burnt were shot before American Sniper's considerable success. Guessing he'll be more selective going forward.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, Aloha and Burnt were shot before American Sniper's considerable success. Guessing he'll be more selective going forward.

Serena  (also with JLaw) was made before any of them but it was also released this year.  It looks like he has less on his upcoming slate but actors have little to say in timing of releases.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be honest, I'd like to see JLaw tackle more age-appropriate roles. She was great in American Hustle but all I could think was, "23 and already playing a mom? Way to go, Hollywood!"

my mum had 2 kids when she as 23...

Just now, TalismanRing said:

More age appropriate but not exactly the actress who evokes blue collar entrepreneur.

I see your point, but I admit that I mentioned that in regards to age. Ideally, an actor who is, say, Ivy League educated and comes from a wealthy family, should be able to play a coal miner from the Appalachians or an illiterate janitor from the Bronx; he may not have a lot of personal stuff to base it on, but that's what actors do: they act. But I know what you mean, certainly.

• Like 1

The entire marketing campaign of this movie has been built around Lawrence's face and name. If this flops, can we blame her, or does she get a pass because of a million other reasons that her fans will come up with? All actors have flops; no shame in that.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

my mum had 2 kids when she as 23...

I'm not saying that never happens, but that JLaw is only 25 and has already become another actress to play a mother who, using the age of their offspring, must have given birth in their teens. Still not nearly as absurd as Melissa McCarthy having Allison Janney play her mother (despite a 10 year age difference) and Susan Sarandon as her grandmother (despite a 24 year age difference), though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

The entire marketing campaign of this movie has been built around Lawrence's face and name. If this flops, can we blame her, or does she get a pass because of a million other reasons that her fans will come up with? All actors have flops; no shame in that.

This is the first movie of hers to be sold on her name. If it tanks then poor reviews will be the main culprit, but it will also mean no more $20M paychecks for her going forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm not saying that never happens, but that JLaw is only 25 and has already become another actress to play a mother who, using the age of their offspring, must have given birth in their teens

no, that doesn't seem to absurd to me. I'm not enamored with the work or the film but the whole kid play acting as an adult was part of the character, at least I thought.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be honest, I'd like to see JLaw tackle more age-appropriate roles. She was great in American Hustle but all I could think was, "23 and already playing a mom? Way to go, Hollywood!"

Interestingly enough most reviews have praise for her if not the film.  The U.K. critics seems to like it as a whole.

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Define flop?  It's a drama built on star power.  A drama usually needs either that or great critical acclaim and an awards push to make a lot of money in this market.  If the movie with these mediocre or split reviews makes even $50m it'll mainly be because of her star power.  If it crashes and burns like Burnt, Crisis etc then she won't be alone.

• Like 1

This is going to make more than Burnt or Our Brand Is Crisis, it's going to be difficult going that low with a holiday release lol. But with two other starry, adult-targeted dramas also playing (Concussion and The Big Short, even though the latter is more of a dramedy leaning towards the comedy side) that are looking to get better reviews, I won't be surprised if the grosses are rather subdued.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is going to make more than Burnt or Our Brand Is Crisis, it's going to be difficult going that low with a holiday release lol. But with two other starry, adult-targeted dramas also playing (Concussion and The Big Short, even though the latter is more of a dramedy leaning towards the comedy side) that are looking to get better reviews, I won't be surprised if the grosses are rather subdued.

It's biggest female skewing adult drama in the market though which sets it apart.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bladels said:

Dam, I was looking for J-Law gets her 4th Oscar nominees in her 25

She's still in the running. Best Actress is barren beyond the expected three of Blanchett/Larson/Ronan and Rampling as a strong fourth. What are her alternatives? Lily Tomlin for a summer release that no one saw? The most plausible scenario is that they don't buy the category fraud and Rooney Mara ends up in Lead instead of Supporting.