CaptainJackSparrow

Sonic the Hedgehog | Paramount | Feb 14 2020 | Visionary Auteur Tim Miller to produce | See Sonic's new plastic surgery on page 58

My dudes, even little kids think he looks terrible. This isn't about capitulating to grown-ass adults. If even your target audience thinks the character looks off, it's kind of a sign you need to look back and fix a problem before it gets worse.

• Like 8

Paramount fixed Monster Trucks after a bad screening terrifying kids , they will save this

“It’s difficult to imagine a worse response. As soon as the monster came on screen the children started to scream…and scream and scream.

“There were tears, howls, wailing, kids running out of the cinema, parents swearing, total pandemonium.

“By the time the screening was over we’d lost about 50% of the audience.

“Needless to say, after that screening the suits delayed the film by more than a year and ordered a complete redesign of the creature…and heavy recutting.”

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/752880/Monster-Trucks-test-screening-Paramount-Pictures-family-film-box-office-flops

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

This reminds me of the awful Wonder Woman TV pilot from, what was it, 2011? They revealed the costume, it looked like shit, people complained, and they changed it so it only looked marginally less shit after they had already filmed a good deal of the pilot. The leaked workprint even has that infamous note “VFX MISSING: PANTS TO BE DARKENED.” And it didn’t make the pilot any better. It was still crap.

I think the damage is done. A redesign won’t save this movie because it seems to already be flawed in so many other ways. It’s just lipstick on the proverbial pig.

Edited by TServo2049

I mean I'm not a fan of people on the internet dictating the looks of characters and what not 

BUT 

The Sonic design was universally hated that Paramount needs to do something. Granted they could have literally asked one fan and known that the design was trash so it's kinda obvious they didn't even do that BUT again better to try and fix things then send out a dumpster fire to theaters. 

• Like 6

i kinda see it both ways. but it's only bad in the sense that they're just sinking more money into a movie that's probably gonna be DOA anyway. would be better to cut their losses but paramount are in such a place that they kinda need this to hit. this and terminator 6 a couple weeks between each other this is not gonna be a fun november for them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

James Gunn ended up getting not one but two major gigs out of the whole ordeal. So he was the real winner there.

This past awards season saw the entire Internet trying to take down Green Book and the industry similarly answered back with "you tried" in the end. I highly doubt this will set any sort of precedent about studios kowtowing to the whiny manbabies of the Internet.

I'm just going to say that I have no faith in either Hollywood or the internet to not let this spiral out of control, because both parties are very susceptible to it.

But obviously most people heavily disagree so I will not drag this any further.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

My dudes, even little kids think he looks terrible. This isn't about capitulating to grown-ass adults. If even your target audience thinks the character looks off, it's kind of a sign you need to look back and fix a problem before it gets worse.

Remember the reaction in this thread from parents who showed the trailer to their kids?

That's what's going on here.

As I've said elsewhere, I highly doubt they would be doing this if it was just jokes on Twitter.  Hell, the snark had already been dying down and it was less than 48 hours later.

Filmmakers do this when there is something deeply wrong and don't do it lightly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Remember the reaction in this thread from parents who showed the trailer to their kids?

That's what's going on here.

As I've said elsewhere, I highly doubt they would be doing this if it was just jokes on Twitter.  Hell, the snark had already been dying down and it was less than 48 hours later.

Filmmakers do this when there is something deeply wrong and don't do it lightly.

@cax16 was planning the movie night with his family and got shot down by the wife AND kids.

:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i kinda see it both ways. but it's only bad in the sense that they're just sinking more money into a movie that's probably gonna be DOA anyway. would be better to cut their losses but paramount are in such a place that they kinda need this to hit. this and terminator 6 a couple weeks between each other this is not gonna be a fun november for them.

Crazy to think that pretty soon Paramount's top dog movie franchise will be Spongebob (Tom Cruise is probably gonna stop doing M:I after #8).

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Their slate does look super weak this year. I saw the trailer for that Dora the Explorer movie before Little the other week and all that was running through my head while watching it was "2002 called, it wants its kids movie back."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

but it's only bad in the sense that they're just sinking more money into a movie that's probably gonna be DOA anyway.

Agreed.  This is where I'm at. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

I think the damage is done. A redesign won’t save this movie because it seems to already be flawed in so many other ways. It’s just lipstick on the proverbial pig.

Now this I agree with. Paramount fixed Creech's design and the movie opened to a triumphant $11 million.