baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

first Harry Potter movie is a good one and set the stage for the series extremely well. It is also one of the few ones where the adult actors get a sizeable role. There is a strong sense of wonder and discovery (like when we first see Hogwarts or Diagon Alley) and some emotional scenes as well (The Mirror of Erised and Leaving Hogwarts scene). Of course John Williams amazing score helped as well. It's also extremely faithful to the tone of the book. I will never hate that movie and I still find it superior to some of the later ones. 

• Like 4

Star Wars is more impressive from a box office perspective. However, the movies weren't all released within a decade of each other. If they had been, would they have still had the success that they did and continue to have? I believe so, but we'll never know.

The impressive thing about Potter is that the fans stuck it out for 8 films. The LOTR fans (and the LOTR trilogy is more impressive adjusted than Potter is) bailed after the 4th movie (the first Hobbit film).

Depending on how you classify the Disney/Marvel films, that run could be as impressive as Potter. The difference is that there are more films and not all are hitting the heights of Potter, but some are.

• Like 3

first Harry Potter movie is a good one and set the stage for the series extremely well. It is also one of the few ones where the adult actors get a sizeable role. There is a strong sense of wonder and discovery (like when we first see Hogwarts or Diagon Alley) and some emotional scenes as well (The Mirror of Erised and Leaving Hogwarts scene). Of course John Williams amazing score helped as well. It's also extremely faithful to the tone of the book. I will never hate that movie and I still find it superior to some of the later ones. 

I agree with you on SS. It isn't close to being as bad as COS. GOF & OOTP are worse than it too. 

My favorite Harry Potter moment was this scene

One of my friends may or may not have been drunk and possibly stoned. But every single one of Voldemort's faces had us pissing ourselves in laughter and we laughed for the ENTIRE last 15 minutes of the movie. We would stop for 2 seconds and then like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man just popping into your head, I would just laugh again. Had to run out of the theater because the audience was so pissed.

• Like 3

I liked them all.  There wasn't a single one I didn't quite like.

My faves were DH2, Goblet, and OotP.  Bottom ones were probably HBP and DH1.

I know people rave about PoA, but I wasn't really into the whole time travel sequence.  To be fair, it was the only one I saw on DVD instead of theaters, so maybe I need to watch it again.

• Like 1

Looking back, I wish I could have had the experience of seeing all the Potter movies during their theater runs. The only one I ever got to see in theaters (and on opening day) was DH2, and it was one of the best theater experiences I've had. Packed all the way, and most of my audience were teenage/college age students. Amazing..And it still resonates with the audience that grew up with it even after all these years.

Edited by Ladybug
  • Like 1

That Fast 6 OS figure is ridiculous.

She said a couple of years ago she still isn't a billionaire, which is kind of surprising.

I think she's been a billionaire a couple times actually, but she loses the status by giving a lot of her earnings to charity.  

And there will likely not be another franchise like this.  Attending the midnight release of Deathly Hallows Part 2 was insane.  One of the best movie experiences ever.  12 screens dedicated just to Harry Potter, and all of them sold out.  So many people in the lobby, dressed up, book readings going on, etc. and everyone had to be split into different groups before anyone could even go into the theater.  

And just think...Deathly Hallows Part 2 did more in midnights, just midnights, than the lastest Transformers movie, or any film this year so far, did in 1 day + 3/4 hours of previews. :P  

• Like 1

Star Wars is more impressive from a box office perspective. However, the movies weren't all released within a decade of each other. If they had been, would they have still had the success that they did and continue to have? I believe so, but we'll never know.

The impressive thing about Potter is that the fans stuck it out for 8 films. The LOTR fans (and the LOTR trilogy is more impressive adjusted than Potter is) bailed after the 4th movie (the first Hobbit film).

Depending on how you classify the Disney/Marvel films, that run could be as impressive as Potter. The difference is that there are more films and not all are hitting the heights of Potter, but some are.

I don't think Marvel films really count in this argument. Sure they are semi-sequels, but are they really? Most of them are only connected by a post-credits scene and mostly the narrative of "connectedness" takes a backseat to the hero's current problem. It's not really integral to the story. In other words, these films do not depend on the successes or failures of the other films. The only boost we truly had was the fangasm Avengers, but that sold itself more on the fact it was the first time you threw the kitchen sink into a movie, and Iron Man 3's then boost. It didn't extend to Thor: TDW and CA: TWS stronger legs got it to its total. No WTF $174m OW there. Still no idea how that happened. Perhaps that was what a true 3D boost was. Most films that add 3D do not see it in the gross. For example, I'd predict Dawn to make that $70m OW without knowing it had 3D, now that it does, it simply means less admissions and therefore in real terms, it would have disappointed. I think the only other true example of a movie being boosted by 3D is Alice in Wonderland.

I still think there's something(sorry) magical and wondorous about that first film.

Yup. The finale in particular is weak sauce but the first time he gets to go to Hogwarts/finds out he's a wizard/Diagon Alley etc all those scenes have that intangible movie magic feeling that only the first two really have. I mean, I like all the other films better I think, but the lighthearted wonder that pervaded the first film and some of the second sustains them.

• Like 1