baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

And I still do not understand how the best one, Azkaban, was the worst grosser of the whole series. Maybe as many have said, because previous chapter was not well received. I had always thought it was because it was the first not being released in November, and the only one released in June, I do not know if it had been released in July or November it would had grossed more. I consider June as a difficult month.

I don't think COS supposed bad reception was what affected POA DOM gross, it broke the OW record for the series after all. What affected the gross was the change of tone + summer insane competition

It still makes me laugh when people say that splitting movies in two is just a cash grab.....really?  No kidding.  If you knew you could make another billion dollars by splitting your movie in two, if you didn't do it, you'd be a fool.

• Like 2

At least it was made clear there were going to BE two parts. I still can't figure out why Universal didn't mention that Back to the Future Part II was going to lead directly into Part III, or why Disney repeated THE SAME MISTAKE with Dead Man's Chest 16 years later. In both cases, the cliffhanger pissed a bunch of people off because there was no advance warning that the film wasn't going to have an ending.(Though actually, I do wonder if critics would have had just as much of a problem with BTTF2, and ESPECIALLY DMC, if "this is part one of a two-part finale" had been publicized beforehand a la DH1+2.)

Edited by TServo2049

It still makes me laugh when people say that splitting movies in two is just a cash grab.....really?  No kidding.  If you knew you could make another billion dollars by splitting your movie in two, if you didn't do it, you'd be a fool.

I didn't mention anything about a cash grab, I just stated that it's half a movie and a lot of critics don't like that.

At least it was made clear there were going to BE two parts. I still can't figure out why Universal didn't mention that Back to the Future Part II was going to lead directly into Part III, or why Disney repeated THE SAME MISTAKE with Dead Man's Chest 16 years later. In both cases, the cliffhanger pissed a bunch of people off because there was no advance warning that the film wasn't going to have an ending.

For me, i knew both of those were having part threes.  I didn't think either were a secret, but maybe I am in the minority on that

• Like 1

100% agree but if any franchisee earned it, its Potter this isn't 3 books stretched into 4 movies. I mean we had to wait for 6 movies already before DH they had to get it right, and I think they made the right decision. 

Whats cool about DH2 is that it almost doesn't feel like a movie, but goddamn 2 hour finale to a decade of films. 

• Like 6

Well, the existence of the third films were made clear. What wasn't was the cliffhanger ending. Split films like DH1+2 at least have an excuse.Remember how people got pissed at the Catching Fire cliffhanger? (And didn't the same thing happen for Matrix Reloaded, even though in that case the teaser made it clear that two films were coming out 6 months apart?)

• Like 1

I didn't mention anything about a cash grab, I just stated that it's half a movie and a lot of critics don't like that.

I wasn't directing my post at you.

100% agree but if any franchisee earned it, its Potter this isn't 3 books stretched into 4 movies. I mean we had to wait for 6 movies already before DH they had to get it right, and I think they made the right decision. 

Whats cool about DH2 is that it almost doesn't feel like a movie, but goddamn 2 hour finale to a decade of films. 

Even BD1 did well.  It wasn't much of a movie for the first hour, but the split was brilliant for Twilight as the last film made more than every other film.  So it works.

• Like 1