Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not really.  If the same person is lowballing another Pixar film, then there's obviously a pattern here.  

:redcapes: 

On 5/16/2016 at 3:47 PM, baumer said:

I'll bet 100 points to three people that Finding Dory opens to less than 100 million 

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

:redcapes: 

I don't hide from my predictions.  Big difference.  I make way more bad calls than I do good ones.  And also, I'm not low balling Incredibles in any way.  So go dig up all of my bad calls.  I don't dread them or run from them because destiny arrives all the same.  

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

We all make bad predictions that miss. I make/made bad predictions...but i don’t denyingly cower if they fail. Admittedly I can be wrong: like IW not being the biggest grosser of the TA-films. However, i ate crow...but i’m thankful for being proven wrong. BK007 just doesn’t really do that on certain occasions....and he doesn’t admit his wrongs and gets snobby that the movies he didn’t want them to break out.....broke out anyway.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

All I'm hoping for right now is for this to be top tier Pixar quality like Coco was. Then maybe Pixar will finally be "back" for me. Prior to Coco, they hadn't made a top tier movie of theirs since TS3 for me. Never could get on board the IO hype train (don't @ me). 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2018 at 12:27 AM, FantasticBeasts said:

I have been telling this for months. This may be the most four-quadrant film in recent memory.

It reaches every single demographic equally. Male,female,under 12 kids,teenagers,young single adults,parents,white people,black people, latino,gay,straight etc.

Finding Dory on the contrary, skewed a bit more female and a tad younger. The demo that animation films usually lose is teenage-young adult males because some dickheads feel that their masculinity will be at stake If they watch an animation in a theater. But this one is gonna bring even those. 

I think it will go +$500m with ease.

The first one certainly wasn't making a great effort to appeal to poc.  It's basically an allegory for how classism is positive and only has a non-white character because Samuel L Jackson just decides he wants to be in movies and it happens.

I love Pixar films and I've seen every single one in theaters and I will not be seeing this.

I feel I should be way more excited for this (doesn't help I can't see it on Opening Weekend) considering The Incredibles was one of if not the first film I ever saw in cinemas. Something just isn't clicking with me in the story. Even Finding Dory I was anticipating a little bit more for some reason. 

24 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I feel I should be way more excited for this (doesn't help I can't see it on Opening Weekend) considering The Incredibles was one of if not the first film I ever saw in cinemas. Something just isn't clicking with me in the story. Even Finding Dory I was anticipating a little bit more for some reason. 

Dang, how old are you? I thought you were in my age range for some reason. :thinking:

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

20 lol

You?

27. Funnily enough the first movie I remember seeing in theaters was Toy Story... part of me says I remember seeing Lion King but I have pretty much no memories as a three year old.

I agree that the marketing isn't like super exciting but honestly I find most Pixar movies lacking in marketing. Especially in a movie like this where they are hiding plot twists and whatnot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sal said:

The first one certainly wasn't making a great effort to appeal to poc.  It's basically an allegory for how classism is positive and only has a non-white character because Samuel L Jackson just decides he wants to be in movies and it happens.

I love Pixar films and I've seen every single one in theaters and I will not be seeing this.

I don't think that it did more of an effort than your typical Disney/Pixar animation. But even If what you say is true, that doesn't mean that it did not appeal to those people. A movie doesn't need to have a black character (which it did btw), to appeal to black people.

Regarding your classism point, haven't thought about it to be honest, but I don't take a disney animation that deep.

I am kinda trying to understand... You will not be watching this because you disagree with the message of the movie or because you didn't like the first one??

9 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I don't think that it did more of an effort than your typical Disney/Pixar animation. But even If what you say is true, that doesn't mean that it did not appeal to those people. A movie doesn't need to have a black character (which it did btw), to appeal to black people.

Regarding your classism point, haven't thought about it to be honest, but I don't take a disney animation that deep.

I am kinda trying to understand... You will not be watching this because you disagree with the message of the movie or because you didn't like the first one??

Primarily because I didn't like the first one, so I don't see much reason that I'll like the second, especially since it's got the same director.

The classism thing is basically the whole concept of being special as used in the film.  In the beginning, they're shown as not just being special, but more important than 'normal' people and continually express disdain/aloofness toward normals.  The message that you have to be 'born special' and that it's something you cannot attain (as so callously stated by Mr Incredible to Syndrome when he was a boy) is also reflected in Mr Incredible's fear that Jack-Jack has no powers.  Which always struck me as a bit odd anyway, like are you not going to love your kid if he for some reason doesn't live up to having powers?  Syndrome's goal is to make everyone special (which is basically to level the playing field with those born in privilege) but he is ultimately defeated, thus proving the point that you should never aspire to be one of the elite or you will find yourself crushed.  AKA: Know your place, don't step out of line.

As a poor minority kid watching the first movie, it was a very disheartening sort of message.

And I'm not saying it won't appeal to those people, since most minorities are also used to consuming white media.  I mean if I waited to only watch movies with just Latino characters in them, I sure wouldn't get to see a lot of movies, so we're pretty accustomed to having to project on white leads.  I'm just saying I doubt either of the Incredibles movies are made with minorities in mind. 

3 minutes ago, Sal said:

Primarily because I didn't like the first one, so I don't see much reason that I'll like the second, especially since it's got the same director.

The classism thing is basically the whole concept of being special as used in the film.  In the beginning, they're shown as not just being special, but more important than 'normal' people and continually express disdain/aloofness toward normals.  The message that you have to be 'born special' and that it's something you cannot attain (as so callously stated by Mr Incredible to Syndrome when he was a boy) is also reflected in Mr Incredible's fear that Jack-Jack has no powers.  Which always struck me as a bit odd anyway, like are you not going to love your kid if he for some reason doesn't live up to having powers?  Syndrome's goal is to make everyone special (which is basically to level the playing field with those born in privilege) but he is ultimately defeated, thus proving the point that you should never aspire to be one of the elite or you will find yourself crushed.  AKA: Know your place, don't step out of line.

As a poor minority kid watching the first movie, it was a very disheartening sort of message.

And I'm not saying it won't appeal to those people, since most minorities are also used to consuming white media.  I mean if I waited to only watch movies with just Latino characters in them, I sure wouldn't get to see a lot of movies, so we're pretty accustomed to having to project on white leads.  I'm just saying I doubt either of the Incredibles movies are made with minorities in mind. 

Well thanks for the analysis, I admit it never crossed my mind. You've got your points but honestly I got to tell you that your apprach feels exaggerative to me. Even If I agree on some of those things, I choose not to overanalyze things so much. For me, it was a very fun film that had cool characters and a very beautiful message about family love.

The idea of superheroes is based on genetical superiority, I think that's unavoidable. And you are getting a bit too far on the Jack-Jack issue. Of cource, they would prefer him to have super-powers that doesn't mean they wouldn't love him If he hadn't.

It's also quite intresting that as a kid, you watched that type of movie and had such thoughts; I am not a psychiatrist so I won't interpret anything, but I am just gonna call it intresting. :D 

13 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well thanks for the analysis, I admit it never crossed my mind. You've got your points but honestly I got to tell you that your apprach feels exaggerative to me. Even If I agree on some of those things, I choose not to overanalyze things so much. For me, it was a very fun film that had cool characters and a very beautiful message about family love.

The idea of superheroes is based on genetical superiority, I think that's unavoidable. And you are getting a bit too far on the Jack-Jack issue. Of cource, they would prefer him to have super-powers that doesn't mean they wouldn't love him If he hadn't.

It's also quite intresting that as a kid, you watched that type of movie and had such thoughts; I am not a psychiatrist so I won't interpret anything, but I am just gonna call it intresting. :D 

Most kids probably get told they can do anything when they grow up.  I always got the message that we jut had to play nice with white folks if we wanted to get by in life. :D  So there's that.  Also when I was small they thought I might have autism or some other learning disorder and my mom decided she'd rather ditch her kid in a park instead of dealing with a potentially special needs kid, so the Jack Jack thing really struck me as the way a lot of parents react to having autistic or special needs kids.  Instead of being like "I'm going to love you because you're my kid" it becomes so centered on the parent needing to find out if their kid is normal/can be normal or not.  That's never a great thing for a kid.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2