Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

4 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Out of the last 5 Pixar movies we had 2 masterpieces and 3 disapointments so I am not sure what to expect. I don't think it can be up there with Coco or Inside Out in terms of quality because those two are movies dealing with very deep issues and have a big emotional impact to the viewer, but I hope it can be a fun ride with some originality in it.

To be honest, the last complete winner with Pixar was when Ratatouille opened. 

As great as Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Inside Out and Coco have been, there are still a couple issues that I disagreed with, though I do need to give them a rewatch and see how they hold up. (Ratatouille is still great.) In fact, they mostly have to do with side characters, as I personally didn't completely agree with the execution of Muntz, Lotso, that Elephant thing and Coco's villain. 

Besides that Brave was decent, but I just wonder what Chapman could have given us over that yes-man Andrews and I actually liked Cars 3. Cars 3 was the sequel Cars should have got, and yeah, it may not be extraordinary or revolutionary, but if you're looking for an enjoyable time without any expectations, it's great. I suppose that makes it harsh to judge Dory and Monsters U by a greater standard, but I guess it comes with the territory. It's the same territory that Incredibles 2 & Toy Story 4 will face, especially the latter. Why does it need to be made? 

Oh, I realized I forgot about The Good Dinosaur. That's another film that should have been left in the hands of its original director. Now that Lasseter has been revealed to be a parody and we've all known Catmull is a shady jerk, I have less sympathy for their excuses on why they had to remove people or choose certain storylines. 

What Rashida Jones accused Pixar off is probably true, and if they are going to get back to their heydays, they need to really actually be the place that we all assumed they'd be. For a studio that has produced such wonderful and inclusive movies in the past to turn out to be another terrible place to work is sad. Perhaps that's catching up with them now, but it's not too late to turn it around.

I'm gonna make an assumption here, but looking at the movies coming out of Disney Animation in recent years; Frozen, Zootopia, Moana, it seems as though they might have more freedom of expression there and might enjoy their work more - especially if the culture is not so set in stone as it may be at Pixar. 

• Like 1

QUESTION: How badly do you think the World Cup will affect the box office? Domestically I'm not too worried about, but football isn't as popular as it is internationally. Which is why I don't know if it will do well in Europe, some parts of Asia and Latin America. 

The magic of Pixar could be just the group of guys that came together and were all were at their creative picks. We have yet to have a great Pixar film from a director that is outside of that core group of creatives (yes Brad Bird was initially an outsider but he was already close friends with Lasseter). 

21 hours ago, BK007 said:

To be honest, the last complete winner with Pixar was when Ratatouille opened. 

As great as Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Inside Out and Coco have been, there are still a couple issues that I disagreed with, though I do need to give them a rewatch and see how they hold up. (Ratatouille is still great.) In fact, they mostly have to do with side characters, as I personally didn't completely agree with the execution of Muntz, Lotso, that Elephant thing and Coco's villain. 

Besides that Brave was decent, but I just wonder what Chapman could have given us over that yes-man Andrews and I actually liked Cars 3. Cars 3 was the sequel Cars should have got, and yeah, it may not be extraordinary or revolutionary, but if you're looking for an enjoyable time without any expectations, it's great. I suppose that makes it harsh to judge Dory and Monsters U by a greater standard, but I guess it comes with the territory. It's the same territory that Incredibles 2 & Toy Story 4 will face, especially the latter. Why does it need to be made? 

Oh, I realized I forgot about The Good Dinosaur. That's another film that should have been left in the hands of its original director. Now that Lasseter has been revealed to be a parody and we've all known Catmull is a shady jerk, I have less sympathy for their excuses on why they had to remove people or choose certain storylines. 

What Rashida Jones accused Pixar off is probably true, and if they are going to get back to their heydays, they need to really actually be the place that we all assumed they'd be. For a studio that has produced such wonderful and inclusive movies in the past to turn out to be another terrible place to work is sad. Perhaps that's catching up with them now, but it's not too late to turn it around.

I'm gonna make an assumption here, but looking at the movies coming out of Disney Animation in recent years; Frozen, Zootopia, Moana, it seems as though they might have more freedom of expression there and might enjoy their work more - especially if the culture is not so set in stone as it may be at Pixar. 

Finding Nemo is Pixars best film period

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, korrasami said:

QUESTION: How badly do you think the World Cup will affect the box office? Domestically I'm not too worried about, but football isn't as popular as it is internationally. Which is why I don't know if it will do well in Europe, some parts of Asia and Latin America. 

I cannot be sure but I think it will not have much of an effect. It is targeting younger pals that are not intrested in football and even those who are will surely find a couple of hours to go and watch. There is a very small minority of people that watches every single game so I don't see how it would have a bad effect.

Supposedly after Toy Story 4 Pixar will be trying to get back into more consistently original filmmaking. I'm still not expecting them to reach their glory days of perfection for awhile though with all the now fragmented interests of their braintrust. I do think some of their new filmmakers have potential but they need to prove themselves. Can't say I'm that hyped for the premise of the Scanlon film.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

If people want to see it they will make time to. World cup lasts for a month, it's not like cinemas are empty the whole time. Yes it will have an impact but the film will be fine. It has more of an impact when for example the final game clashes with a film's opening weekend that there's a noticeable disappointment. This might happen in the UK.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Supposedly after Toy Story 4 Pixar will be trying to get back into more consistently original filmmaking. I'm still not expecting them to reach their glory days of perfection for awhile though with all the now fragmented interests of their braintrust. I do think some of their new filmmakers have potential but they need to prove themselves. Can't say I'm that hyped for the premise of the Scanlon film.

I'll believe that when I see it. Remain open minded as always but I really dont care about Pixar any more. Inside Out was a stroke of genius and their best work by far, but other than that they've not done anything of real interest since... WALLE? Which even that I didn't like that much. Toy Story 3 has a nice ending that's it. Coco and Good Dinosaur were sweet films and decent animated flicks but their glory days are well over.

2 hours ago, korrasami said:

For that reason, Incredibles has a rather scrattered OS rollout. For example it comes out in Germany in September - more than a month after the WC finale.

• Like 1

• Like 2