Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

This is awesome for Guardians! Hope it won't be front-loaded though. The marketing was pretty agressive and there were a lot of people rushing to see it. At this point, there's a 50/50 chance of hitting 100M.

Families with kids are not rushing out on thurs/Friday. This thing will break out over the weekend
  • Like 2

Marvel is now like Pixar - it's a brand name that sells a significant part on it's own.

Next year Ant-man will open to $125m.  :lol:

I think it sells when people realize it is the Avengers Universe. If they are trying to sell Spider-Man, it doesn't help because people know it isn't connected. X-Men may be Marvel, but people seem to look at it as a completely different thing. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

Hate to point out the obvious but 100 m OW is anything but a lock. It's a lot easier to make $11 million from Thursday showings at the end of July than it is to make $10 million from Thursday showings in early freakin' April and Cap 2 still didn't make it to 100 m OW.

That said the number is incredible and I do think that a 80+ m OW is pretty much locked.

• Like 3

I posted this in the wrong thread...

Very early matinee numbers on the East Coast are currently about 20% lower than Winter Soldier at the same ToD and about 15% ahead of Thor 2 at the same ToD.  

Hoping it can pull ahead or at least on par with TWS sometime. I can definitely understand the lower start, it seems like GOTG is on a bit less screens than they were, and less screens means less early shows.

• Like 2