Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Reviews are gonna make or break this.

Not sure about that it is an adaptation of one of the biggest book phenomenon in a quite reviews resistant family movie genre.

In that genre monster call, The BFG, Kubo and the 2 strings, Pete Dragoon etc.. got good to excellent reviews and didn't do so well, Miss peregrine did much better with worst reviews. Trailers/ads are really important.

How much the giant fanbase of all age will show up/marketing is probably more important factor than critics.

22 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Nothing sad about it. She is a talented young filmmaker with a strong voice. If she gets a pass for this in the wave of BP, so be it. It opens up more opportunities for her...just hope it doesn't completely tank even after getting solid reviews. Anyone knows the budget on this?

I think 91M

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Anyone knows the budget on this?

2016-2017 A Wrinkle in Time Tesseract Productions, Inc. Feature Film Non-Indie 80 2800 350 28 $ 85,393,000 $ 18,128,000

http://film.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2.0-Website-Approved-Projects-List-Online-12.11.17.pdf

Not complete information, but give a certain idea of the range, there is some New Zealand shooting, above the lines and some others cost to add, but should be below 140m gross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Wait what happpened to Ava being the first woman of colour to have a film with 100 million budget

86m in qualified below the line in California alone, it is certainly a good amount above the 100m bar, they also shoot in New Zealand maybe pushing it above 100 right there, but also you have cast, pay for a giant popular book rights, scripts, director, producer, cast, big studio movie you can easily add 25m to that figure.

Edited by Barnack

31 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

In that case, it has a very good chance of being a box office hit.

I don't know where i saw that 91M figure, but seems i was wrong. Google says from 100M+ to 125M and 103M and @Barnack estimating 140M- 

So, low 100M seems the figure, yet your statement is still true: could easily recover expenses and make money (though i have my doubts on this movie due to trailers)

Note that my below 140m is gross, with that 18m tax credit here and I imagine some in New Zealand, that make it a 122m or less net one estimate.

The movie could make more domestic alone at the BO a good bar for success.

Edited by Barnack

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

You know it's going to get a pass from the critics because it is directed by Ava....even if the movie is mediocre. We live in a PC culture. She is a strong black woman director and she is directing a big tentpole film with many African american actors in it...they will be easy on her. 

Nah, I don’t think that’s the case.

Isn’t every single expensive product getting solid reviews nowadays? In a sea of mediocrity, so much franchise crap being pumped out by studios, critics' standards couldn’t be lower. Straightforward and coherent movie = done, 88% at RT.

Edited by Goffe

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure about that it is an adaptation of one of the biggest book phenomenon in a quite reviews resistant family movie genre.

In that genre monster call, The BFG, Kubo and the 2 strings, Pete Dragoon etc.. got good to excellent reviews and didn't do so well, Miss peregrine did much better with worst reviews. Trailers/ads are really important.

How much the giant fanbase of all age will show up/marketing is probably more important factor than critics.

Yeah, all this needs is 50%+ or so to be fine as far as reviews go. Critical reception isn't nearly as important for family aimed films. Alice 1, Oz, and Maleficent are all examples as far as other live action Disney family aimed fantasy films. The multi will probably be in the 3-3.2x range even with mediocre reviews, so it's all about how big marketing sells the OW. If it opens anywhere in the 50m vicinity, it's going to be a nice sized hit DOM. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jandrew said:

Disney shouldve had this as a mandatory attachment with Panther. Somebody dropped the ball there.

There was a behind the scenes look that played during the pre-show before the trailers started at my showing of Black Panther this evening (as part of Disney's deal with Noovie).

Just now, filmlover said:

There was a behind the scenes look that played during the pre-show before the trailers started at my showing of Black Panther this evening (as part of Disney's deal with Noovie).

Yeah but most people didn't get the trailer. Wrinkle should've been the mandatory attachment for quite a few reasons, not Solo. 

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/20/a-wrinkle-in-time-soundtrack-sade-game-of-thrones-composer/?

Spoiler

The tracklist also includes songs by Sia and grown-ish stars Chloe x Halle, as well as a coincidental collaboration for Demi Lovato, DJ Khaled, and Kehlani, who will all embark on Lovato’s world tour together this spring.

Here’s the full list of original songs:

• “Flower of the Universe” – Sade (plus a No I.D. Remix version)
  • “I Believe” – DJ Khaled feat. Demi Lovato
  • “Magic” – Sia
  • “Let Me Live” – Kehlani
  • “Warrior” – Chloe x Halle
  • “Park Bench People” – FreeStyle Fellowship

How long has it been since new Sade music? I'm loving this so far.

• Like 1