baumer

Early Wed #s RTH

Like many of you, I don't understand why TMNT was rewarded for breaking out in August by having its sequel slotted for June. Even though the first film, and this year in general, have showed that 1.) movies can succeed anywhere and 2.) success is not guaranteed in May-July, they still immediately thought "its breakout in an 'off' slot shows that it's ready to play with the big boys in the REAL summer season!"Putting TMNT2 in June seems to be proof that the studios (at least, the studios other than Disney and WB) are not learning the lessons of 2014 and are still stuck in the mentality of "May-July are the most prime blockbuster real estate of the year, and anyfranchise who's anyfranchise HAS to be in those months!" Same mentality that motivated DreamWorks to "reward" HTTYD1 for legging it in March by "promoting" HTTYD2-3 to June.To summarize:GOTG breaking out in August -> WB scheduling BvS in MarchTMNT breaking out in August -> Paramount scheduling TMNT2 in JuneOne studio gets which way things are going, and the other doesn't.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

So LBC is breaking out? Happy to say I called it without being a revisionist. I forgot which thread, but I said "next up, LBC for August breakouts!" and CJohn and others were like "itll bomb". Hmm...Go August, go!

• Like 4

Like many of you, I don't understand why TMNT was rewarded for breaking out in August by having its sequel slotted for June. Even though the first film, and this year in general, have showed that 1.) movies can succeed anywhere and 2.) success is not guaranteed in May-July, they still immediately thought "its breakout in an 'off' slot shows that it's ready to play with the big boys in the REAL summer seasn!"Putting TMNT2 in June seems to be proof that the studios (at least, the studios other than Disney and WB) are not learning the lessons of 2014 and are still stuck in the mentality of "May-July are the most prime blockbuster real estate of the year, and anyfranchise who's anyfranchise HAS to be in those months!"To summarize:GOTG breaking out in August -> WB scheduling BvS in MarchTMNT breaking out in August -> Paramount scheduling TMNT2 in JuneOne studio gets which way things are going, and the other doesn't.

Honestly if BvS is amazing movie and makes a lot of $$$, I think that'll help Captain America 3 than hurt it. Average moviegoers don't follow the DC and Marvel feud. They lump all Superhero movies into 1 category.
  • Like 4

DW's really going for it with HTTYD 3, aren't they?

Jesus… that July is horrible. Something will give, I doubt there will be all those movies piled on top of each other though. Hopefully, they put some in April (I know BvS will be opening in March, but mid-April around the Easter holiday could be a good week for a family movie…) or spread out more throughout August/Sept.

Safe to assume a large number of those movies will move over the next 24 months.

• Like 1

That wasn't my point. My point was that WB is taking away the right lessons from GOTG's August breakout (you DON'T need to schedule your el primo franchise tentpole between the first weekend of May and the penultimate weekend of July just because it's your el primo franchise) and Paramount is taking away exactly the WRONG lessons from TMNT's (a film overperforming in an "off" frame, in part BECAUSE it's in an "off" frame following a weak May-July, is "proof" that the sequel "deserves" to be "rewarded" by being "promoted" to a "prime" May-July "franchise blockbuster slot" - and yes, I am using all those scare quotes for a reason, because none of this "conventional" "wisdom" holds after the summer we've just had...)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Honestly if BvS is amazing movie and makes a lot of $$$, I think that'll help Captain America 3 than hurt it. Average moviegoers don't follow the DC and Marvel feud. They lump all Superhero movies into 1 category.

Cap 2s success sure didn't help spidey
  • Like 2

That wasn't my point. My point was that WB is taking away the right lessons from GOTG's August breakout (you DON'T need to schedule your el primo franchise tentpole between the first weekend of May and the penultimate weekend of July just because it's your el primo franchise) and Paramount is taking away exactly the WRONG lessons (a film overperforming in an "off" frame, in part BECAUSE it's in an "off" frame following a weak May-July, is "proof" that the sequel "deserves" to be "rewarded" by being "promoted" to a "prime" May-July "franchise blockbuster slot" - and yes, I am using all those scare quotes for a reason, because none of this "conventional" "wisdom" holds after the summer we've just had...)

Maybe this is just a one off.  You can't take one summer and disregard the past 40 and say,"See, times are changing."

That wasn't my point. My point was that WB is taking away the right lessons from GOTG's August breakout (you DON'T need to schedule your el primo franchise tentpole between the first weekend of May and the penultimate weekend of July just because it's your el primo franchise) and Paramount is taking away exactly the WRONG lessons (a film overperforming in an "off" frame, in part BECAUSE it's in an "off" frame following a weak May-July, is proof positive that the sequel "deserves" to be "rewarded" by being "promoted" to a "traditional" May-July franchise blockbuster slot)

We sort of saw it last year, with Olympus Has Fallen making more money than White House Down. (In part because it came out first, but also in part because it came out when the schedule was less crowded.)

And of course, the 3 best most recent examples are Gravity, Lego, and CATWS. (WB and Disney. Coincidence?)

• Like 1

Maybe this is just a one off.  You can't take one summer and disregard the past 40 and say,"See, times are changing."

Not so sure. Didn't the first Apes release in August and do really well? Plus Bourne has done well in August in the past.

• Like 1

It's still not healthy to put all bets on May-July and November - everybody stuffing their tentpoles into the same period hurts all of them to some degree. Marvel, and now WB (with Warner Animation after Lego, and now DC after GOTG) seem to be at least partially embracing the viewpoint that "The only winning move is not to play."

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

I mentioned this over in the MMPR thread, but look at how ridiculously overcrowded July 2016 is compared to May, June, and August:

May (Details)

Captain America 3 (BV) - 5/6

Universal R-Rated Comedy (Uni.) - 5/13

Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass (BV) - 5/27

X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox) - 5/27

June (Details)

Sausage Party (Sony) - 6/3

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (Par.) - 6/3

Uncharted (Sony) - 6/10

Finding Dory (BV) - 6/17

How to Train Your Dragon 3 (Fox) - 6/17

The Mummy (2016) (Uni.) - 6/24

July (Details)

Angry Birds (Sony) - 7/1

The BFG (BV) - 7/1

Independence Day 2 (Fox) - 7/1

Tarzan (2016) (WB) - 7/1

Marvel Untitled (July 2016) (BV) - 7/8

Ice Age 5 (Fox) - 7/15

Untitled Next Bourne Chapter (Uni.) - 7/15

King Arthur (2016) (WB) - 7/22

Power Rangers (2016) (LGF) - 7/22

Untitled Planet of the Apes (Fox) - 7/29

August (Details)

Untitled DC Film (2016) (WB) - 8/5

Untitled Smurfs Movie (Sony) - 8/5

Something like Power Ranger or maybe even Bourne may be able to find a lot more room to perform in August.

I'd move Power Rangers in the 2nd week of August, the Bourne movie to October, Planet of the Apes the week before Memorial Wknd, and King Arthur to December and then place Tarzan toward the later part of July. 

• Like 1

Re: LBC

Ride Along only got 18%, and yet there were more than enough people that were entertained by it.

And being entertained is the purpose of films after all, which is why RT is pointless for many. 

Letting someone else dictate or influence what qualifies as entertaining is silly. Know what you like.

TMNT=20% and was entertaining, screw the critics.

EX3=33%(currently) and I bet it's still fun

• Like 2

I'd move Power Rangers in the 2nd week of August, the Bourne movie to October, Planet of the Apes the week before Memorial Wknd, and King Arthur to December and then place Tarzan toward the later part of July. 

Fox won't want Apes the week before X-Men. They'd have to move both again, like this did this year.

Get on Flop. 

yup

• Like 1