Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

15 minutes ago, AndyK said:

They don't need subtitles in Sweden, most of them speak better English than wot I do.

This is absolutely true. Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark all have incredible English speaking rates close to or above 90% for most. When it comes to travel it's one of the easiest and most convenient areas to travel to for Americans and for British. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

This is absolutely true. Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark all have incredible English speaking rates close to or above 90% for most. When it comes to travel it's one of the easiest and most convenient areas to travel to for Americans and for British. 

They very recently made English an official language in Sweden and many of them have no noticeable accent.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

They very recently made English an official language in Sweden and many of them have no noticeable accent.

Yep it's awesome. I've talked to several people in Cambridge Uk that speak 5+ languages. They literally change their accent to mirror the country the language is prevalent in. It's a way for them to subconsciously keep track of the differences in each language to be able to go back and forth.

One guy who lives in Cambridge now from Lithuania learned English while attending University in America (where I'm from). His english literally sounds like someone from center USA, and he has a very interesting accent for the other languages he knew.

19 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

It screened in China? 

Regardless don't see why it can't make at-least 100m there unless there is strong competition. Most superhero movies even DCEU got close to or around that figure (AQM being the exceptional breakout). 

Latin America is strong for DCEU movies as well. 

I see this a lot with Chinese box office predictions, it is an exciting market but 1 + 1 does not always equal 2 there. Just being a superhero movie doesn't equal success, we can't just throw around 100m like it's guaranteed easy money. 

For foreign movies it will be competing with Andhadhun which shouldn't be underestimated. 

19 hours ago, cax16 said:

Oh I’m not implying anything by that, I just meant that most uk critics didn’t love Aquaman, most seem to like Shazam more.

I’m curious as well, it will be a good indication of how the comedy/movie is being received overseas 

Indeed, it's a really intriguing movie for me in that regard. 

12 hours ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

I would not take those comments that Shazam "screams America" here seriously, some of these people are just trolls or biased.

I don't think it's about being a troll or biased. It's hard to put my finger on it, but I personally can't see many other countries making a movie like Shazam. That's just from the visuals and vibe from what I've seen as a non American viewer. Even the word just sounds so American lol.

However, I think America has exported a lot of it's culture around the world for a long time that a lot of it can translate well, depending on how it's presented and how niche the references are. 

So I don't think that it's a death blow for its overseas prospects, it's just something to be wary of. 

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Green Book relied on more dialogue humor than this likely will, dealt with American themes of racism, and had literally no action. Chinese audiences seem to be loving it. I think Shazam will do fine if WB in China and probably other countries too.

Of course, Chinese audiences don't need action to watch a movie. However, Green Book is not a great example to use as it was marketed as an Oscar winning Best Picture movie (which still holds a lot of credibility and importance even internationally) and more importantly had a massively influential domestic partner behind it in Alibaba. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RaidensSword said:

I I personally can't see many other countries making a movie like Shazam.

While I agree with your post, this baffles me. I can't see many countries making blockbuster movies period. Superhero movies even more so. They are an American product, which has been exported with wild success. Local cinema in other big markets, like China and India, are adapting to include these Hollywood elements into their own products. 

I maintain that Shazam just doesn't have a wide-ranging appeal, demo-wise, and that's what limits its potential, but I really don't agree with the point that the movie appears to have a cultural disconnect. It's a superhero origin/coming-of-age story, blending family and broad comedy. I don't see how any of that is somehow inherently American, because, as I said, the superhero stories have connected worldwide, beyond its English language (mostly North American) base. 

It will be an interesting case study, to be sure - to see how successful a superhero movie can be with no recognizable stars (love Mark Strong, but he's not gonna get audiences in), advertising which seems to show limited scope and seemingly limited audience base, with three other superhero movies (yes, Hellboy counts) on the market at the same time (roughly).

2 hours ago, RaidensSword said:

For foreign movies it will be competing with Andhadhun which shouldn't be underestimated. 

Is...there some other indian thriller that didn't already only make $15m five months ago?

For anyone doubting about less foreign turnout for a lesser known american superhero comedy I give you freaking Ant-Man movies and Gotg.

FFS every MCU entry can is more of less an action comedy. If Antman & Spiderman Homecoming which is through and through a dramedy (spidey doesnt even throw a punch its just web slinging) about some teenage kids can sell then Superman for kid shouldnt be a hard sell for foreign market in this era of superhero craze. 

Also I'd say that as from a non-native English speaking non-anglo market perspective that most hard time i had connecting with the jokes, banter and references exchanged around character in a big popcorn movie was IT 2018.

> White trash talking kids 

> White suburb setting

> 80s references ? damn the whole thing is in 80s

Thats as "American" u can get in a mainstream live action tentpole imo which didnt stop it to become the tentpole overseas.

That IT movie actually proved that The Stranger Thing effect is in fact real and global and it wont act as a detractor but as a heavy plus around the backdrop of usual superhero-ing.

I see it like this : If rated-R Stranger Things with Horror can work to amazing effects than Stranger Things with Superheros has the chance of catching atleast some of its thunder

Edited by NamakFiskKa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

While I agree with your post, this baffles me. I can't see many countries making blockbuster movies period. Superhero movies even more so. They are an American product, which has been exported with wild success. Local cinema in other big markets, like China and India, are adapting to include these Hollywood elements into their own products. 

I maintain that Shazam just doesn't have a wide-ranging appeal, demo-wise, and that's what limits its potential, but I really don't agree with the point that the movie appears to have a cultural disconnect. It's a superhero origin/coming-of-age story, blending family and broad comedy. I don't see how any of that is somehow inherently American, because, as I said, the superhero stories have connected worldwide, beyond its English language (mostly North American) base. 

It will be an interesting case study, to be sure - to see how successful a superhero movie can be with no recognizable stars (love Mark Strong, but he's not gonna get audiences in), advertising which seems to show limited scope and seemingly limited audience base, with three other superhero movies (yes, Hellboy counts) on the market at the same time (roughly).

Yes, I agree with you on most of your points which is why I don't think it will have as negative an impact on it overseas as some are suggesting. The other factors you mentioned will restrict it more. 

There's still a question mark over the star power for me. Without a well known cast or a proven lead star,  I'm curious how well known the character Shazam is in the US?  And how popular is he as a DC character or as a comic book? As a non American I've never heard of him before talk of this movie. 

25 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

Is...there some other indian thriller that didn't already only make $15m five months ago?

It's just getting a Chinese release April 3rd.