Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

With better reviews than AQM and the same kind of wide audience appeal, don't see how Shazam misses 200 million, even sandwiched in-between CM and Endgame. And that would be an absolutely amazing result for it. Looking forward to the trailer - if reception to it is good, then over JL is a reasonable expectation. :P 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

ViewerAnon has pretty dreadful opinions imo but there's only been really strong buzz about Shazam ! out there, everything about it feels right imo

If I remember correctly he liked WW and Aquaman so I’d say his taste line up with the GA

8 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

ViewerAnon has pretty dreadful opinions imo 

Perhaps. I mean, didn't he dislike AQM? WW as well (or lukewarm reception)? Can't remember. If that's the case, it might be that he's overly-critical, in which case the fact that AQM did so well and was embraced by audiences despite him not liking it would mean that Shazam's reception will be out of this world. On the other hand, if his tastes run polar opposite to general audiences, it could mean very bad things for the movie.

So, all in all, as usual - I take any sort of screening reaction with a fistful of salt. But I will say that everything I've seen of this so far has only further increased my anticipation. Fingers crossed for another year where superhero movies hit it out of the park.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Perhaps. I mean, didn't he dislike AQM? WW as well (or lukewarm reception)? Can't remember. If that's the case, it might be that he's overly-critical, in which case the fact that AQM did so well and was embraced by audiences despite him not liking it would mean that Shazam's reception will be out of this world. On the other hand, if his tastes run polar opposite to general audiences, it could mean very bad things for the movie.

So, all in all, as usual - I take any sort of screening reaction with a fistful of salt. But I will say that everything I've seen of this so far has only further increased my anticipation. Fingers crossed for another year where superhero movies hit it out of the park.

He liked both WW and AQ. Felt like WW had higher highs than AQ but also a weaker third act. When it comes to superhero stuff, at least the DC entires I've followed, I'd say his tastes very much line up with the general audience.

I'm confident in this movie being well received but do you guys think there's a chance this may be seen by audiences as some kind of spoof instead of a worth seeing comic book movie? The character is very unknown and wasn't introduced or teased in the previous DC movies.

2 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I have to say, I've been going through all of Young Justice for the first time, and Captain Marvel is handled so delightfully in that show that it's making me more interested in this film.

All the DC characters are handled beautifully on shows like that and the classic Justice League and Batman and Superman animated shows.  The recent DC animated films are a mixed bag, but their first run of them over the last ten or so years was also very well done.

The irony of the whole Marvel/DC fanboy war is that Warner Bros. animation always seemed to conjure wonderful representations of DC Comics in that medium, but struggled in live action...whereas Marvel's companies-for-hire never quite produced animation with the same legacy...but now they currently dominate the feature-film genre. 

Shazam looks fun.  Let's hope it is.

Edited by Macleod

5 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

My opinions for the record: MAN OF STEEL is okay, BATMAN V SUPERMAN is pretty bad (but the Director's Cut is sizably better), SUICIDE SQUAD is awful, WONDER WOMAN is good, JUSTICE LEAGUE is very flat, and AQUAMAN is fun - my JL and AQUAMAN opinions were on record months before the films came out and I'd say are at least reasonably close to GA response.

Also, DEADPOOL 2 *was* a mess. 30 minutes longer and considerably flatter. It was the Super Extended Cut, but way more bloated.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This gonna be DC's Spiderverse. Great reviews, great WOM.

I think they developing Blue Bettle as their Spider-Man Homecoming. Shazam really has no comparison he's a kid that turns into a superhero. Disney and Sony don't have that and WB should keep him unique.