Fullbuster

Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 on September 24 : Will Grand Admiral Thrawn destroy them all??

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

A really bad decision on Filoni's part that underscores the entire franchise. Absolutely the worst move New Canon's done yet.

If it's for the reason I think it might be, I disagree and I'll tell you why in spoiler bars.

Spoiler

Nothing was changed in the timeline.  Not a damn thing.  Everything we see happen in Twilight of the Apprentice still happened exactly the way we saw it, right down to Ahsoka traveling down those steps.

This wasn't Time Travel.  At most it was Time Manipulation.  Especially since Ezra was outside Time and Space at the moment.

I can see this being reeeeeally controversial though, yeah.  But I wanted my objection as read before this horse really leaves the station.  We'll see if my interpretation is right soon enough, I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

If it's for the reason I think it might be, I disagree and I'll tell you why in spoiler bars.

Reveal hidden contents

I can see this being reeeeeally controversial though, yeah.  But I wanted my objection as read before this horse really leaves the station.  We'll see if my interpretation is right soon enough, I think.

Spoiler

While this was obviously somewhat planned from the beginning it just removes all the emotion from the Season 2 finale. Nothing that Ahsoka does here couldn't've been accomplished with a force ghost Ahsoka, and even then if he wanted to have his cake by having Ahsoka back imo she should've died by Palpatine killing her so Ezra could escape. These past 4 episodes have been about moving on, yet Ahsoka gets conveniently resurrected and will probably live on again long after her story should've concluded. 

13 minutes ago, Mulder said:
  Hide contents

While this was obviously somewhat planned from the beginning it just removes all the emotion from the Season 2 finale. Nothing that Ahsoka does here couldn't've been accomplished with a force ghost Ahsoka, and even then if he wanted to have his cake by having Ahsoka back imo she should've died by Palpatine killing her so Ezra could escape. These past 4 episodes have been about moving on, yet Ahsoka gets conveniently resurrected and will probably live on again long after her story should've concluded. 

Spoiler

Yet, I figured it was MUCH more likely than not that she was alive, since we saw here descending those steps at the final seconds of the episode.  The main question was: Was she mortally wounded at the time.

As someone who thought she was alive, finding out how she alive was quite satisfying.

Maybe I'm just happy she isn't that damn wolf after all. :lol::lol::lol:

Taking this out of spoiler bars now.

As for the point of this story?  Well Filoni interviews are already making their way around the net.  Here's one from Nerdist.

Dave Filoni discusses the "Why's" of World Between Worlds  (heavy heavy HEAVY spoilers)

On quick last bit discussing something raised in that article

Spoiler

I loved Quantum Leap, so Kanan/Aspect of Kanan/Will of Kanan/Part of the Cosmic Force that was-is Kanan sorta/kinda using Ezra to Make Right What Once Went Wrong (as far as he knew) feels true to me.  But I love Weird Star Wars, so I suppose it would.

Besides, Ezra finally learns to let go here when he decides not to try to save Kanan.  That was his Last Lesson.  And one that took damn long enough to learn, apparently. ;)

We'll see if it holds. :lol:

Edited by Porthos

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Taking this out of spoiler bars now.

As for the point of this story?  Well Filoni interviews are already making their way around the net.  Here's one from Nerdist.

Dave Filoni discusses the "Why's" of World Between Worlds  (heavy heavy HEAVY spoilers)

On quick last bit discussing something raised in that article

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It just goes against the very nature of Star Wars which was moving forward not moving backwards. Luke's only way forward was for Ben Kenobi to die on the Death Star against Darth Vader. His story had concluded and now it was Luke's. The ST has continued this with Han and Luke's stories coming to a close. Ahsoka's story should've been concluded with her sacrifice to save Kanan and Ezra and dying in battle against Vader, completing the journey her and Anakin went on. 

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:
  Hide contents

It just goes against the very nature of Star Wars which was moving forward not moving backwards. Luke's only way forward was for Ben Kenobi to die on the Death Star against Darth Vader. His story had concluded and now it was Luke's. The ST has continued this with Han and Luke's stories coming to a close. Ahsoka's story should've been concluded with her sacrifice to save Kanan and Ezra and dying in battle against Vader, completing the journey her and Anakin went on. 

Spoiler

Still three episodes left, you know. :ph34r:

Guess it's just a fundamental disagreement, I suppose.  What can I say, this felt like pure mainlined SW to me. 

'sides, a decent chunk of the story was Ezra accepting that Kanan really was gone.  Giving him a chance to do that and NOT doing it is part and parcel of that very message you're talking about.

Ah well, can't please everyone as the saying goes.

As an aside, I can only imagine the faces of Kiri Hart and the rest of the Story Group when Filoni discussed this storyline. :rofl:

I'd pay decent money for video of their reactions. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

so what happened to Ezra?

At the end?

Spoiler

He passes out, presumably from the mental exertion telling the mural to shut down.  When he wakes up, he and Hera find out the Jedi Temple buried itself and filled in all the digging that had gone on.  It's a little unclear as its happening  but it does appear that's what happened when the giant ball of light emerged from the mural.

Sort of a reverse of the temple springing from the foundation when it was seen in previous episodes.

Could have been a bit clearer just what was going on there.

If that wasn't what you were referring to, I can take another crack at your question tomorrow. 

I'm a bit mixed on the turn of events since because it's so late in the final season (final 3 episodes next week) and with very little opportunity for any meaningful payoff, it feels more like Filoni scrambling back to cover his ass as to explain things as well as set up a future series going into the OT era or something.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 12:48 AM, Porthos said:

Rian Johnson: Hey Dave, watch me rip apart SW fandom and dance around the ashes.

Dave Filoni: Hold my beer.

Rian Johnson:  Hey Dave, watch me use the Force in ways that'll make it look completely overpowered! 

Dave Filoni chuckling in his mock whiny laugh as only he does:  Oh, you're so cute sometimes.

--

Love 'em both, but now I'm imagining a competition between the two of them where Rian Johnson tries to come up with a fantastic controversial idea and Filoni just laughs it off.

The surprise ending would be something like this:

J.J. Abrams excitedly runs in:  Guys... GUYS!!!! I just had this GREAT idea.  It's a new superweapon called the Galaxy Eater and-

Rian Johnson and Dave Filoni (simultaneously):  Filthy Casual. 

caught up with the two new episodes.  I liked them both, don't get all the "controversy" about the one part, but I get it isn't for everyone.  I was kind of not into it at first until they at least put Ahsoka back in the same place so nothing actually changed

27 minutes ago, 75Live said:

caught up with the two new episodes.  I liked them both, don't get all the "controversy" about the one part, but I get it isn't for everyone.  I was kind of not into it at first until they at least put Ahsoka back in the same place so nothing actually changed

Another way to look at it is to remember that when it comes to matters of the Force, SW is very much Space Fantasy and not Science Fiction.

When looked through a lens of fantasy tropes, what happened in those two episodes is straight out of the fantasy playbook and not the Sci Fi one.  And a highly traditional set of plays at that.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Another way to look at it is to remember that when it comes to matters of the Force, SW is very much Space Fantasy and not Science Fiction.

When looked through a lens of fantasy tropes, what happened in those two episodes is straight out of the fantasy playbook and not the Sci Fi one.  And a highly traditional set of plays at that.

yeah I have no problem with what happened after it ended.  just during, I wasn't fully into it.  But I came around pretty quickly :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

yeah I have no problem with what happened after it ended.  just during, I wasn't fully into it.  But I came around pretty quickly :) 

Yeah, I was just using your post as a launching pad for some mostly related thoughts. :)