grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

Meanwhile Gone Girl doing big business is not even the most insane thing happening right now in the box office world as Dracula Untold will open bigger than 300 2, Godzilla, Captain America 2 and other big movies here. This thing is exploding OS. 

Will no doubt make up for its average / opening weekend over here in the states.

• Like 1

Hell yes, Gone Girl.  HELL YES.

Film of the year for me.  I mean, the book was good, but the film was a damn near masterpiece. 

Would be an absolute shame if Affleck, Pike and Fincher get overlooked come Oscar season.  They put in serious work.

Good for both! Exciting start for the month

Annabelle is doing well here in my country too. Gone Girl opens next week but I don't expect it to smash although the book is popular

• Like 1

UPDATED FRIDAY 9:09 p.m.,: Fall continued to rebound from a dismal summer as Annabelle and Gone Girl broke to healthy starts at the box office, ballooning some projections for Gone Girl above $35 million for the weekend.

Both R-rated movies collected $12-$13 million Friday, a small coup for Gone Girl,as most expected Annabelle to jump to an early lead thanks to horror fans who prefer Friday night viewing. And The Conjuring spinoff collected a healthy $2.1 million on Thursday night, beating Insidious Chapter 2‘s $1.5 million Thursday bow last year on its way to $40.2 million. Annabelle’s opening day suggests the New Line flick will meet the high end of projections with a haul of $24-$26 million.

Gone Girl, meanwhile, could be fall’s first hit. It, too, collected $12-$13 million, which could put it on course for $36-$38 million, well below Fox’s conservative estimate of $22-$24 million. And with an approval rating of 86% on Rotten Tomatoes, word-of-mouth should be excellent for the David Finch-Ben Affleck thriller, a surge Annabelle won’t enjoy.

And while Left Behind was expected to lag, it wasn’t by this much. Playing on less than 1,800 screens, it plucked a still-anemic $1.5-$2 million on Friday, putting the Freestyle Releasing pic on a trajectory of $4-$6 million.

Edited by grim22