Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

How so? "Jazz is dying. I won't let it die".

How is that not "saving Jazz"? Regardless if you're super-offended by it, it seems to be a fair enough interpretation of his ambition.

It's the Martin Scorsese endorses wall street douchebag behaviour and Kathryn Bigelow endorses torture in Zero Dark Thirty all over again. Point of view of the character isn't point of view of the movie, just as depiction doesn't mean endorsment. It's a pretty empty argument and there's no way to refute it because the only way to convince the people that push that kind of empty argument is to present said refutation in the text of the movie. Pretty much a scene in Zero Dark Thirty with someone saying literally the words "Waterboarding is bad" to another character, Wolf of Wall Street ending with Di Caprio deeply regretful narrating how terrible he was all those years and La La Land with Gosling saying "I didn't have to save jazz after all, who would have thought".  All 3 of those movies are way above this kind of ridiculous audience hand holding.

I can understand all other arguments against La La Land. That it is thinly written, that is nothing more of nostalgia fluff, that they should have cast better singers, that it has bad choreography and so on. I don't agree with any of those arguments either, but they are legit arguments to discuss with someone who didn't like the movie as much s I did, or didn't liked it at all. But "La La Land is bad because white Ryan Gosling tries to save jazz" is a beyond ludicrous argument, just like WOWS and ZDT and it's typical for this time of the year. Whenever there's a movie controversial and/or hyped enough to start the thinkpiece cycle, everyone will go for the most moronic and catchy argument that fits in a tweet in its entirety.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, Joel M said:

But "La La Land is bad because white Ryan Gosling tries to save jazz" is a beyond ludicrous argument, just like WOWS and ZDT and it's typical for this time of the year. Whenever there's a movie controversial and/or hyped enough to start the thinkpiece cycle, everyone will go for the most moronic and catchy argument that fits in a tweet in its entirety.

I'm not sure if the Sebastian character changes like you think he does. Yes, he sometimes fails at getting what he wants, but I never thought his attitude about art changed.

The movie is not bad because of this issue. It's just a point of discussion.

Yes, I know what the John Legend character said. It doesn't mean that it's the theme of the movie.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I'm not sure if the Sebastian character changes like you think he does. Yes, he sometimes fails at getting what he wants, but I never thought his attitude about art changed.

The movie is not bad because of this issue. It's just a point of discussion.

He doesn't have to change his mind at all really, he can think in his little head that he is saving jazz one piano concert at a time in his little place until he dies. It doesn't matter because the movie doesn't say he saved jazz. He just got what he wanted professionally but he lost Emma Stone in the process. If he let's say he had stayed with John Legend's band but convinced them to play "real jazz" and they went on to great success because the young audience after all digs "real jazz" that "white savior" argument would hold some water at least. As it is, it doesn't.

• Like 3

Emma Watson and Miles Teller said to be 'freaking out' after rejecting leads in Oscar-nominated La La Land

And it has been reported for several months that Teller's non-casting in the film was due to a pay dispute: The Hollywood Reporter claimed that the 29-year-old wanted more than the $4 million that was offered, and this figure has since been said to be $6 million.

Watson was offered the lead female role, but she initially wouldn’t commit. Then she began making all these crazy demands, like rehearsals for the film must be done in London – for a film called ‘La La Land!’ They jumped through hoops to make it work with her, but she just didn’t feel the film was right for her.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/01/29/emma-watson-miles-teller-said-freaking-rejecting-leads-oscar/

I like both actors, but I'm glad that it didn't happen with them.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

watson can't act and teller is good in the right thing, but man, some people find that character obnoxious already. would've been nails on a chalkboard with him.

Disney is betting one billion on Emma Watson next March.

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Disney is betting one billion on Emma Watson next March.

because people who can't let go of harry potter also grabbing onto belief that she's a talent so they'll role up to watch her belt with as much autotune as a t pain song. plus nostalgia. disney really caught on to what people really want from this nostalgia craze, just give us the exact same thing please! If ghostbusters had been a shot for shot remake it would've done better probably.

56 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

watson can't act and teller is good in the right thing, but man, some people find that character obnoxious already. would've been nails on a chalkboard with him.

And yet she landed the role first. It's good gossip though becuase why would someone "choose" Beauty and the Beast. Teller is incredibly talented and would have been better than Gosling.  

Teller tweeted

Teller worked in Whiplash because we all projected ourselves into JK Simmon's character and got the satisfaction from beating the shit out of him.

There's nowhere in La La Land for us to vent had it been Teller in the role.

I haven't seen anything Teller's done post-Whiplash but he was really good in that, Rabbit Hole and Spectacular Now so I don't especially enjoy seeing him treated as the internet's latest punching bag whether he's douchy in real life or not. Plus he immediately called Jeff Wells out on his shit that one time, shouldn't that count for something?

• Like 5

i actually do like him but he has a type he's good at. the character in whiplash plays into his douchiness pretty well. he's got a similar scene to the one in la la land where he gushes to his girlfriend about jazz but in whiplash it's supposed to have kinda a skin crawling "jesus christ dude, get over yourself" vibe to it.

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

They're betting on their brand, not her. lol

Seriously. The Disney name dwarfs almost every star in Hollywood

And finding a beautiful starlet to play Belle isn't really that hard. So many of them would kill for that role, and at a fraction of the cost. Just use someone else's voice for the singing, and there you go. A cheaper film.

4 hours ago, Harley said:

And yet she landed the role first. It's good gossip though becuase why would someone "choose" Beauty and the Beast. Teller is incredibly talented and would have been better than Gosling.  

Teller tweeted

Yeah, in that infamous Esquire Teller interview, he says he was dropped by Chazelle and not in person

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/interviews/a36894/miles-teller-interview-0915/

Of course, he knows that what's next is not always up to him. He was supposed to play the lead in the Whiplash follow-up, La La Land. He says director Damien Chazelle offered him the part when they were filming Whiplash, way before it became an Oscar-winning hit. Teller gets a little nervous telling the story, tearing his dinner roll to shreds and claiming he doesn't know what happened before deciding, whatever, "These are just facts." He explains that he almost passed up the chance to be in Arms and the Dudes because it would have conflicted with La La Land. "And I got a call from my agent, saying, 'Hey, I just got a call from Lionsgate. Damien told them that he no longer thinks you're creatively right for the project. He's moving on without you.' " So he sent him a text: What the fuck, bro?