Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Hacksaw will be profitable in the long run, but as of right now, it's not a great hit.

Lionsgate probably sold the OS rights for peanuts since Christian and War movies are far from being hot genres (especially OS) and the share of the domestic gross that goes to the studio most certainly didn't cover budget+marketing.

EDIT: Just saw they didn't produce the movie, only distributed it. 

Edited by Goffe

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Lionsgate doesn't care if La La Land makes 50m or 300m overseas.

They will win the same amount of money either way.

Unless there are distribution rights details I am not  aware of.

Even if what you said is true(I don't think it's that black and white though) I'm sure they still care cause it will give them a bigger leverage for when they are negotiating international rights deals in the future.

• Like 1

Finally watched this. Cute, and the chemistry is good. But frontrunner for Best Picture? ....kay. Not a bad film by any stretch, but feels pretty vanilla.

This winning Best Picture over Moonlight will mirrors the Grammy giving Album of the Year to Adele instead of Beyonce, tbh. But I digress.

15 hours ago, Joel M said:

LionsGate is really having a tremendous Fall-Winter season outside of the 2 Mark Wahlberg flops. Madea Halloween, Hacksaw, LLL, John Wick 2. It's time for some Power Rangers bombage to restore the balance in the universe.

I'm pretty sure Power Rangers will do quite greatly overseas, especially in Asia, and w/a 120M budget, it could turn theatrically profitable. I think it's gonna do ok. Won't do that great DOM, but OS will come to the rescue. So, I disagree w/a bombage scenario. Maybe not "success", but not bomb either.

10 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Lionsgate should seriously consider having their own International distribution arm like the other big hollywood studios.

I also wondered about this a few weeks ago but i think @Futurist said that it's something that takes decades to establish and LionsGate is a newbie at the big leagues, 10 years ago they were making only small budget films. And it makes sense, no one would have willingly said no thanks to the money Hunger Games and Twilight were pulling OS. LionsGate just isn't a major yet, and they might never be.

3 hours ago, Captain H said:

Finally watched this. Cute, and the chemistry is good. But frontrunner for Best Picture? ....kay. Not a bad film by any stretch, but feels pretty vanilla.

This winning Best Picture over Moonlight will mirrors the Grammy giving Album of the Year to Adele instead of Beyonce, tbh. But I digress.

It will mirror it in that the deserving film/person wins but the same people as usual will cry that it's because the losers are black that they lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ainsleyb said:

It will mirror it in that the deserving film/person wins but the same people as usual will cry that it's because the losers are black that they lost.

I don't even care about the whole race thing lol. La La Land is a great and very competently made film, but don't have much else going on for it. At least to me, and I'm a sucker for musicals.

I won't be upset if it won, but I still think there are two or three more deserving the award quality wise among the nominations.

• Like 1

A friend of mine from Greece told me that greek press is all over articles about a song from La La Land having copied a song from a Greek movie :P . Obviously, I don't believe in such trash and I know that it is often made for publicity but out of cutiosity, I listened to the related tracks and they have some similarities. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTfiwgKcQLo ( Dimitra Galani - What If...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MN_lhz9xSw&list=PLywiNEAPE4I9mIv_edkzGeyJkeJmB9b8J&index=3 (Mia & Sebastian’s Theme” - La La Land)

NEW YORK Times 

Love ‘La La Land’? Hate It? So Do We

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/movies/la-la-land-love-hate.html

EXCERPTS

It’s Transporting

“La La Land” is a visual poem and a timely escape from all the tension and traffic and division in our lives. You don’t have to think much; you just watch it. The stars are lovely. The songs are catchy. And the camera lifts you right out of your seat to take you along for the ride. Oh, and that ending — it’s surprisingly perfect.

— Mike Abrams, Culture copy desk chief

But It Doesn’t Understand Musicals

I grew up swinging around lampposts and stomping in puddles à la Gene Kelly in “Singin’ in the Rain.” I forgave Fred Astaire his talky rendition of songs like “Cheek to Cheek” because he was the epitome of effortless grace. Ryan Gosling is no Fred Astaire. For die-hard musical fans like me, “La La Land” disappoints. Yes, better a new Hollywood musical than no new Hollywood musical. But the high hopes raised by the inventive opening number are dashed by the weak delivery of its stars. Let’s face it, they can’t really sing or dance. And the novelty of seeing celebrities try to pull it off wears thin pretty fast. Couldn’t Emma Stone muster the vocal strength she showed onstage as Sally Bowles in the Roundabout’s “Cabaret”? Couldn’t the producers have cast a pair with real theater chops, like Sutton Foster and Colin Donnell, or Laura Benanti and Gavin Creel? Too bad Broadway stars aren’t big box office.

— Robin Pogrebin, arts reporter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Some real fresh opinions in there.

I think that was the whole point, that the Arts staff at the New York Times were having a mixed reaction more similar to audiences than to the way Hollywood is reacting.

(Edited, because people are freaking out over that word even though it's not the main point.)

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1