Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Saw this for the second time tonight (for some reason it opened last night here, on a fucking Monday).

And this is just wonderful. Literally every detail is perfectly taken care of. The only nitpick I have is the bathroom scene during "Someone In The Crowd". I can almost hear someone screaming action at the beginning. Maybe starting 1 second (or even half) later would be enough. And I'm usually a "why the fuck would you do that?" Kind of guy watching movies (especially on repeat viewings)

The music is so fucking good. There are so many meanings once you've seen the movie for the first time (for those of us who had it on repeat for weeks) and then for the second time again. I appreciate Ryan a little bit more too, but still think that Emma carries the movie by herself.

Edited by expensiveho
  • Like 1

Titanic was a POS movie then, and it's a POS movie now. I'm not saying that because I grew up with the Anti-Leo Mania during the late 90's, or that I was a 11-12 years old when the movie as a preteen boy, and at the time it was a popular thing for boys my age to hate on Titanic.

I extremely disliked it bc it had one of the most unlikeable female lead characters in the history of cinema. Everything about the character of Rose was irritating, obnoxious , and stupid. Entirety of the movie was brought down to me bc of her stupid spoiled selfishness. "Oh look at me I'm tired of my rich life, I'm gonna go jump off a boat to my death." Instead of sticking up for herself, or being a strong independent woman, she folded like a wet paper bag and decided to kill herself. She had no backbone, nothing about her that made her a 'strong' female character. Even when Jack's character saved her, she still managed to ffff up by jumping off the life boat. I'd almost rather they change the ending where Jack lived instead of her. Leo's character was for more likeable. On top of that, the romance was very very forced.

Dont compare that POS titanic movie to a classic like Ben Hur, RotK, or a future musical masterpiece like La La Land. Titanic is FAR FAR below the others.

Edited by FilmBuff

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Titanic was a POS movie then, and it's a POS movie now. I'm not saying that because I grew up with the Anti-Leo Mania during the late 90's, or that I was a 11-12 years old when the movie as a preteen boy, and at the time it was a popular thing for boys my age to hate on Titanic.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspiciouslySpecificDenial

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

She's the 5/6 favorite according to the betting odds. Portman is close at 2/1.

Who's the expected winner? That category annoys me with the snub of Adams who I found to be the best actress of 2016.

So.

This was pure movie magic.

Everything about this was enchanting & beautiful.

I forgot reality for 2 hours and was transported in this mythical LA with these two lovebirds.

Chazelle was clearly the MVP here

The fact that he managed to do a transfixing film about drums & now this, which has so many visual & narrative ideas shows he is the real deal.

The main couple had more wit, charm & charisma than 1 000 DCEU actors combined.

Emma Stone has the Oscar in the bag, especially when you know the subject matter of her already iconic audition song at the end.

Gosling managed to give heart and soul to a character that could be a douchebag on paper, also he played that piano like a champ.

Why these two aren't already married with plenty of beautiful babies is a mystery to me.

The music was fantastic, very jazz heavy (d'uh) and you go out of the theater huming the main song.

Damien Chazelle.

Kevin Feige.

James Cameron.

Dreamers.

We need them.

They are what makes us human.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Just saw this. I was pumped for this since the first trailer and remained so after all the backlash and the movie still blew me away. I'm def going to see this a second time during the week and delve more into it, but it already felt more meaningful than just "pretty fluff to take your cares away". We'll see, but right no I just loved everything. The colors, the music, the songs, the Stones, the Goslings. EVERYTHING. 

Also Eva Mendes. Gurl wake up! if you let them do one more movie together, it's over.

• Like 3