CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Gone Girl - 26.8M | Dracula Untold - 23.5M | Alexander - 19.1M | Annabelle - 16.4M | The Judge - 13.3M

It's still playing at over a dozen theaters, but I guess they stopped reporting it since it has no shot at all of catching X3.

Kind of sucks that DOFP ended just under X3 and GOTG will very likely fall a bit short of SM3. 

Still great runs for both, especially Guardians.

No he did confirm this week that he is gay, but he said he doesn't wish to talk about his private life.

It doesn't matter though and I think people will see his films regardless of his sexuality. I'm not sure who this fishnets person is, but is she usually this hyper?

Link? Evidence? Where did he confirm it?

The box office has actually been really strong lately :) I remember at the beginning of September I was just looking forward for it to pick up slightly near tr end of September/beginning of October. But we have actually seen some big/decent sized hits recently!

Equalizer - 100-105 DOM finish, and talks of this spawning a sequel

Maze Runner - 100 DOM finish, and we were given a new franchise

Boxtrolls - 65-70M, and with the success of this film we get 3 more (at least) from LAIKA

Gone Girl - 125+, contributed to the biggest October weekend on record

Annabelle - 80-95 DOM finish, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get more Conjuring sequels and spin-offs after October 2015

Dracula - 60-65M, this avoided being a big disaster, ad could end up being a decent hit

Alexander - 60-70M, like a Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie, but could have better legs

These last few weeks reminded me why I love tracking box office, and I could not be more excited for Nov/Dec, not to mention the 1-2 punch of 2015/2016 :D

• Like 1

I read that at one point he dated his female agent. Is there any truth to this?

Yes but I'm not sure if that was real or she just said that to help his career.

He is now dating Spanish model Jon Kortajarena.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forums here, and I'm pleased to meet you all.  

How much would Dracula Untold need to make to be a success and sequel to get green-lighted?  Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters did pretty poor in domestic box office (US) but did really well for its overseas numbers, so sequel was announced.  

I wonder if Dracula can get similar results.

(I read somewhere that including the budget + advertising and distribution fees DU cost $130 million, I wonder if this is true).

Edited by jamesjuhn84
  • Like 2

Well the production budget was $70 million and I can't see how they could have spent another $60 million in promotion. Mostly they had billboards, not many commercials. So I think that number is a bit off. Too high.

I don't see the movie getting a sequel. Maybe they could use Luke Evans again, since he was praised by so many people who saw it.

• Like 1

I imagine Dracula won't get a sequel but we'll see Luke Evans and Charles Dance appear in future Universal Monsters films. The Mummy is the next one and they have Van Helsing in development.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

How much would Dracula Untold need to make to be a success and sequel to get green-lighted? Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters did pretty poor in domestic box office (US) but did really well for its overseas numbers, so sequel was announced.

(I read somewhere that including the budget + advertising and distribution fees DU cost $130 million, I wonder if this is true).

Hi James welcome to the forums :)

I read that the budget including marketing costs was around $105 million (source Boxoffice.com) but that 130 number doesn't seem too far-fetched.

I would think the question would be is if Universal decides to incorporate this into their monster shared universe. If they do, I would think a sequel is very likely, or at least you'd get to see this character in a crossover film.

So far, this is performing in between Hansel and Gretel and Jack the Giant Slayer domestically. It will be interesting to see how it performs after the second weekend, but a total of around 65 million wouldn't surprise me, with close to 200M OS (I'm thinking around 240WW)

Despite negative critical reception, I think Universal will be happy with somewhere near that 250 mark. It's "modest" budget (compared to other blockbusters) is good for it, and it doesn't have to make HUGE AMOUNTS to be a success, so I think there's a decent/good chance we see this character continue with sequels or crossover films.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts? Maybe you think I'm 100% wrong ;)

• Like 1

Well the production budget was $70 million and I can't see how they could have spent another $60 million in promotion. Mostly they had billboards, not many commercials. So I think that number is a bit off. Too high.

I don't see the movie getting a sequel. Maybe they could use Luke Evans again, since he was praised by so many people who saw it.

If they don't use Luke Evans for their other movies they are idiots, he was the reason the movie was enjoyable.

• Like 2

How much would Dracula Untold need to make to be a success and sequel to get green-lighted?  Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters did pretty poor in domestic box office (US) but did really well for its overseas numbers, so sequel was announced.  

Well traditionally a movie needs to make twice the amount of the budget in order to break even, or start making profit. So it probably needs to make 260m+ WW for a sequel.

@ Frozen, @ Jonwo, what do you guys think will be the final Worldwide numbers at the end of its run?

Sigh, I want to see the sequel for this. :( .....But I guess it they can't get the required numbers, then Evans, Dance (and maybe Gadon) coming in for a crossover will have to do.....

• Like 1

@ Frozen, @ Jonwo, what do you guys think will be the final Worldwide numbers at the end of its run?

Sigh, I want to see the sequel for this. :( .....But I guess it they can't get the required numbers, then Evans, Dance (and maybe Gadon) coming in for a crossover will have to do.....

I'm guessing you really liked the movie then ;)