grim22

Lego Batman | Feb 10, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 7! Billy Dee Williams to voice Two-Face.

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

The chance of it staying above 95% (ie. 96% or greater) is about 78%, assuming random sampling and a total number of reviews around 225. The fact that nearly a quarter of reviews have already dropped is a promising sign.

Graph of the probability distribution looks like this:

RFy0N6e.png

Note that the cumulative probability for any given RT% is the total of 2-3 bars on the graph.

Chances it ends up over Dark Knight?

1 hour ago, robertman2 said:

This is higher rated than The Dark Knight

How large is Harley's role in this?

Saw this tonight.

It deserves to be higher than TDK, in my opinion.  (But for me, Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan films.)

Some big character spoilers of who appears, if you want 'em (not story):

Spoiler

Harley's featured in a few key moments.

There are a couple of great quips about Suicide Squad, one of which one could interpret as WB having fun with its own ludicrous decision to make the film.

The homages to all previous Bat-film (and many TV) incarnations are great -- nearly every Bat-villain you could think of makes a brief appearance.

Billy Dee Williams indeed gets to be Two-Face, if only very briefly. 

Use of innumerable Warner Bros. properties and characters, from Sauron to Voldemort, and yes, Jaws...and getting as obscure as "Orca the Killer Whale" (which WB must have acquired through Paramount under a distribution deal from 2012).

Donner's version of The Phantom Zone (ice crystals) is *still* the preferred aesthetic, which should bring pleasure to those who care at all.  John Williams' music is even hinted at!

Wonderful blend of LEGO and Batman aesthetics and iconography to solve dramatic dilemmas.

And as some have already mentioned here, a wonderful dramatic insight into the complications of Batman's psyche is the centerpiece for this film...that's right, a kids version of Batman gets this more right than most of the 'adult' films do!

So much more to say, but you should not be spoiled on everything.  See it on the biggest screen possible (I saw it on an "IMAX Experience" in a multiplex). 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Saw this tonight.

It deserves to be higher than TDK, in my opinion.  (But for me, Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan films, by far.)

Some big spoilers, if you want 'em (not story):

Hide contents

Harley's featured in a few key moments.

There are a couple of great quips about Suicide Squad, one of which one could interpret as WB having fun with its own ludicrous decision to make the film.

The homages to all previous Bat-film (and many TV) incarnations are great -- nearly every Bat-villain you could think of makes a brief appearance.

Billy Dee Williams indeed gets to be Two-Face, if only very briefly. 

Use of innumerable Warner Bros. properties and characters, from Sauron to Voldemort, and yes, Jaws...and getting as obscure as "Orca the Killer Whale" (which WB must have acquired through Paramount under a distribution deal from 2012).

Donner's version of The Phantom Zone (ice crystals) is *still* the preferred aesthetic, which should bring pleasure to those who care at all.  John Williams' music is even hinted at!

Wonderful blend of LEGO and Batman aesthetics and iconography to solve dramatic dilemmas.

And as some have already mentioned here, a wonderful dramatic insight into the complications of Batman's psyche is the centerpiece for this film...that's right, a kids version of Batman gets this more right than most of the 'adult' films do!

So much more to say, but you should not be spoiled on everything.  See it on the biggest screen possible (I saw it on an "IMAX Experience" in a multiplex). 

Is he who must not be named played by the original actor?

5 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Is he who must not be named played by the original actor?

Spoiler

The actor who played him actually voices someone else more prominent in the film, ha. ...if you're referring to who I think you are (I'm not a Potter expert -- and I didn't catch who was credited with voicing V).

Edited by Macleod

12 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Hide contents

The actor who played him actually voices someone else more prominent in the film, ha. ...if you're referring to who I think you are (I'm not a Potter expert -- and I didn't catch who was credited with voicing V).

Spoiler

I know, and I was referring to him. Doesn't seem like he does, which is bizarre.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The first Toy Story and Inside Out are also around that mark

They had largely similar reviews so it makes sense. Inside Out just had more reviews, so it wound up with a few percentages off. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

The 7.7 average rating is relatively low for a movie with a 98% T-meter. I expect it'll eventually fall into the lower 90s, about on par with Finding Dory.

Yes, and more importantly (in my opinion) a 98% RT score is on the high side for an average rating of 7.7 (not quite the same thing). Here's a scatterplot of Tomatometer score against average rating for all animated films submitted for Oscar consideration from 2004-2015 (the original reason why I had the dataset), divided into groups based on year of release:

tVpF0h7.png

There seems to be a trend in recent years for films with a given average rating to have a higher RT score than in years past. Even taking that into account, the expected range for a film with a final average rating of 7.7 would be from around 92% to 97% (from eyeballing the graph).

However, I don't have a proper dataset comparing the average rating at this point (quarter of reviews in) to the final RT score, mostly because Rotten Tomatoes makes gathering such a dataset a pain in the ass. In theory, it's possible that this sort of disconnect at this point in reviews could suggest that the average rating is likely to rise, although from the ten or so films that I have looked at I don't think that's likely to be the case.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 11

The Tomatometer percentage is much more volatile than the average rating, hence why I pay a lot more attention to the latter. It's not a big stretch to say most are in agreement that it's not quite as sharp as The Lego Movie but still a good time, which you can't really gauge by just looking at the Tomatometer.

• Like 1

I never thought an animated movie would have an 8.9 average rating again after Toy Story 3... but then Inside Out came out.

I am really excited to see where this movie is gonna stay at now though after 53 reviews and only one is rotten.

25 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Honestly tomatoer may be confusing at times. I would consider critical acclaim a score for +8 and yet you see movies with almost 100% being under that.

Everyone who uses Rottentomatoes just have to be aware that the 98% percentage is in no way the same as a 9.8/10 rating which a lot of people don't seem to understand.

• Like 3