grim22

Lego Batman | Feb 10, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 7! Billy Dee Williams to voice Two-Face.

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The villain decision is still the worst thing about this movie.

Still scratching my head about who thought that was a good idea. :sadben:

It'll probably take a while for me to even realize why it wasn't a good idea because I thoroughly enjoyed that.

• Like 1

We saw Lego Batman after John Wick 2, with a dinner break in between. Out of all the Batmans (Batmen?), Lego Bats is now my favorite. The writers were able to skewer Batman's longstanding character foibles and tropes (dead parents, anyone?) while maintaining an affectionately playful tone. They get that he's a super messed up guy who is more of a loser than he realizes and did a skillful job of laying all that bare in a hilarious,  kid-friendly way, leading the Caped Crusader to more growth by movie's end than all of his live-action appearances combined. The gags and in-jokes came so fast and furious that I was laughing from the opening right through to the end credits. The adults in the audience were having more fun than the kids at times because so many call-backs to previous films flew over the little ones' heads. All of the goofy villains from the Silver Age and other media got huge laughs. The Lego Batman Movie had much more humor and heart than The Lego Movie, IMO. 

• Like 7

When I laughed at the JM cinema scenes, the girl I was with asked me if that was from a Batman film...

:(

I thought the film was really funny. I liked that they took the opportunity to make the most of the large stable of films and TV that WB has, and it's very nice to see a change of pace in grim, dull series of DC movies.

20 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

I'll go see a regular Batman movie for that. Only a Lego movie can have Batman going against what he did here and I applaud the movie for it. Great decision.

Although Batman didn't really even interact with them at all. He was arguing with Batgirl, Alfred and Robin. Batmans villains fought the random movie villains. 

On 2/11/2017 at 8:10 AM, Krissykins said:

The villain decision is still the worst thing about this movie.

Still scratching my head about who thought that was a good idea. :sadben:

I feel like all the people complaining about the villains are missing the point. This story is being told by a kid, just like Lego movie was. Yes, its a Batman movie, but one told by a 10 year old not a Batman expert. As a result you're going to get a lot of cross-overs because thats how the kid is going to tell the story.

The first movie handled this really well, while this one really didn't.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Wrath said:

I feel like all the people complaining about the villains are missing the point. This story is being told by a kid, just like Lego movie was. Yes, its a Batman movie, but one told by a 10 year old not a Batman expert. As a result you're going to get a lot of cross-overs because thats how the kid is going to tell the story.

The first movie handled this really well, while this one really didn't.

That isn't referenced at all in this film. 

• Like 1

True, and its clearly the case. The city is built over a bottomless pit to the void? The big villains in the Phantom Zone are Voldemort, Sauron and King Kong? Batman's interactions with Barbara? This is the work of a kid's imagination.

However, virtually everything Alfred says feels like it came from a parent commenting as the plot unfolds. So, he's a character but also the avatar of grownup.

But they never SAY any of this.

4 hours ago, Wrath said:

True, and its clearly the case. The city is built over a bottomless pit to the void? The big villains in the Phantom Zone are Voldemort, Sauron and King Kong? Batman's interactions with Barbara? This is the work of a kid's imagination.

However, virtually everything Alfred says feels like it came from a parent commenting as the plot unfolds. So, he's a character but also the avatar of grownup.

Spoilers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

Well this all established from the original film. The LCU takes place in a kid's imagination as he plays with his dad's gigantic basement full of Lego play sets on top of arranged tables (thus the "plates" falling into an abyss)... LBM is the same thing.

If you're mad about this, then watch the original movie. All of your answers are there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

That isn't referenced at all in this film. 

The Master Builder references were the winks and nods. And does it need to be referenced in every Lego movie? Also, it makes sense for the denizens of Lego Gotham/Lego DC Universe to be even more oblivious to the fact that they are just toys. Think Buzz Lightyear from TS1 turned up to a million.   

Edited by Spidey Freak

It's a LEGO Batman movie guys.  These stories are basically kids at play animating the LEGOs themselves.  

I think the movie was better for not pulling back the curtain.  IMHO that's where LEGO Movie went wrong and sort of ran too long.  

3 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

Well this all established from the original film. The LCU takes place in a kid's imagination as he plays with his dad's gigantic basement full of Lego play sets on top of arranged tables (thus the "plates" falling into an abyss)... LBM is the same thing.

If you're mad about this, then watch the original movie. All of your answers are there.

Uh...why should I have to watch any other movie in order to 'get' this one?  This movie worked great for me, and I haven't seen The Lego Movie. I don't get these 'issues.'  I bought into the universe and the self-referential nature of Batman.

• Like 1