LexJoker

Thursday 11/6/2014 - Interstellar 3.3-3.4(Rth)

3.3-3.4 is not bad for 8 to 11 showing in theaters.

Probably closer to $3m for evening shows, if Thursday pre 8pm performed like Wed (Wed was about $850k with Tues night being $500k)

Apes 2 did $4.1m in Thur previews starting at 10pm - also adult skewing but that was summer

• Like 2

That sounds good to me, although honestly until we know how the numbers are split up it's hard to tell: you had 249 theaters running through the day, and then a ton of theaters suddenly added for Thursday evening.

When I checked the LA area Thurs night show times (a few days ago) they were in the 120s -- treating those like a traditional Thurs evening sneak, I'm guessing maybe around 2m for the evening sneaks, and another million from the day shows (in the 249 theaters).

• Like 2

Interstellar is not going to have the WOM to reach $200m if it opens to $55m.

I agree. If it opens to $55m I think it finishes around $150-160m. I liked it a lot but this will be a hard sell to a lot of people and many won't like it. If somehow this hits $200m (by opening less than $65m and getting a 3+ multiplier) then Nolan really can do whatever the hell he wants and it just doesn't matter lol

Edited by FTF

Hindsight is always....I know the saying, but maybe the problem here isn't what it will open to but more what we (the members here) think it should open to.  There is no precedent, no real reason for this film to be an anomaly and open any higher than Gravity or Prometheus.  Those two opened in the low to mid 50's.  For Interstellar to open that high would be very good.  I'm not sure why people thought it would open to 70 and up.  Is it just because of Inception?  There are many more examples and reasons for it to open in the 50's than there is to suggest the 70's.  And the WOM might be good to mixed but I think it will be strong enough to get it close to 200 and perhaps 400 overseas.  

Again, hindsight is 20/20 but I'm not trying to be a revisionist.  I never really thought this would be all that many here thought it would be.  

Then again, it could just be my disappointment in it that is talking here.

• Like 8

Hindsight is always....I know the saying, but maybe the problem here isn't what it will open to but more what we (the members here) think it should open to.  There is no precedent, no real reason for this film to be an anomaly and open any higher than Gravity or Prometheus.  Those two opened in the low to mid 50's.  For Interstellar to open that high would be very good.  I'm not sure why people thought it would open to 70 and up.  Is it just because of Inception?  There are many more examples and reasons for it to open in the 50's than there is to suggest the 70's.  And the WOM might be good to mixed but I think it will be strong enough to get it close to 200 and perhaps 400 overseas.  

Again, hindsight is 20/20 but I'm not trying to be a revisionist.  I never really thought this would be all that many here thought it would be.  

Then again, it could just be my disappointment in it that is talking here.

Looking all the way back to Monday, I'm not sure why I thought it would open to 75m+.  Well, as a film it still has a *lot* of hype going for it, more thanGravity had, imo, though I'm not sure about Inception.  While the RT% isn't great, the sheer number of reviews it had a week prior to release speaks to how anticipated it is/was, and that by itself can really drive ticket sales (I bet OW totals are more closely correlated with the # of reviews a movie gets than with how strong those reviews are).  The RT% was disappointing, and would hurt, but even the negative reviews seemed more like a case of missed high expectations than the movie actually being bad.

Then again, you could say almost exactly the same for Prometheus.

Perhaps I'm a Nolan-ite and don't realize it.

Edited by Wrath

I think I predicted 68 last month for Interstellar, so it does look to open under that, but as baumer said, it is in line with other reasonable comps. Interstellar does have space and it does have MM, but Inception had MORE going for it. Not only was it a summer release, but DiCaprio was and is the biggest movie star on the planet. As much pub as McConaughey has gotten over the past year, he just isn't on that level yet. Inception also had much cooler trailers- this had alot of abstract talk about space and love, while Inception had the iconic music blaring and people flipping upside down and fighting in a hallway. Also, "Inception" pretty much immediately became a pop culture term. People I know still use it all the time when they talk about slyly convincing people to do something or what not. It's an iconic movie and an iconic CONCEPT. Interstellar doesn't seem to have that HOOK. I haven't seen it yet, so who knows, but yea. 

• Like 3