Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

So, by my estimates, CF sold 18.9M tickets last year on OW, of which 3.0M came from Thursday previews/midnights.  With the current estimate of 17M, that's 2.0M tickets sold.  Following the same ratio would give 12.6M tickets sold for the weekend, or a 104.6M OW.  

Obviously, the hype/buzz factor just wasn't there for the previews, but I don't expect the weekend to drop that low, I'd expect similar attendance throughout the rest of the weekend (15-16M tickets), which puts it on pace for 142-150M.  Though dipping into the 130s wouldn't be surprising.

For additional comparison, THG did ~2.5M in March (midnight only)

Edited by Spizzer - Manav

I agree and don't agree. You're right about the weaker marketing but the movie itself looked far less appealing than CF.

Mockingjay was NEVER going to be as high as CF. Ever. Let that go. 

Posts like these are insufferable. I highly doubt minute-longer trailers would have made a different.

Look, there's definitely some variation in quality for the Twilight and HP books as well, so the source material is no excuse. WB and Summit still put forth strong marketing campaigns for each one of their movies. That's why they were able to stay so consistent with each other.

Let's just look at midnights for these movies:

Eclipse: $30.1 million

BD1: $30.25 million

HBP: $22.2 million

DH1: $24 million

Both these were also Part 1's, and both increased. Everybody said that BD was the worst received book, and that Eclipse was the best, yet it still stayed flat/increased. Also BD1's critical reviews also dropped off a lot from Eclipse.

So I don't get this... looking less appealing or not being expected to do as well BS. If there's one area MJ1 sorely lacked, it was definitely the marketing. I hope Lioinsgate learns from this lesson.

• Like 3

Look, there's definitely some variation in quality for the Twilight and HP books as well, so the source material is no excuse. WB and Summit still put forth strong marketing campaigns for each one of their movies. That's why they were able to stay so consistent with each other.

Both these were also Part 1's, and both increased. Everybody said that BD was the worst received book, and that Eclipse was the best, yet it still stayed flat/increased. Also BD1's critical reviews also dropped off a lot from Eclipse.

So I don't get this... looking less appealing or not being expected to do as well BS. If there's one area MJ1 sorely lacked, it was definitely the marketing. I hope Lioinsgate learns from this lesson.

Yes. Tha proves your point exactly. :rollingeyes:

• Like 1

Oh.... So now it did 17m? That paints quite a different picture. I really didn't think it was possible for it do less than 20m. I thought this franchise had a large enough core base who would show up regardless of what instalment it was. A little disappointing :/

Edited by Lumos
  • Like 1