Mockingjay Raphael

Jurassic World OS | 1.015B OS | 1.667B WW | China 228m, United Kingdom 100.5m, Japan 74.8m

We will have 3 $900m OS films this year (one of them 1.1 billion) with crappy exchange rates. With better exchange rates we would be talking about 3 1.1-1.2 billion OS... and who knows what can happen with SW7... it is insane.

• Like 3

Japan is very strange. Godzilla wasn't even very big there and they created him for crying out loud!!! :lol:

$29.9 million is actually very good for a Hollywood film in Japan in recent years. It doubled PR and I'm pretty sure the new ST films barely hit $10 million.

I think I see what you're saying now, took me a bit - the officially reported 160.5m overseas weekend isn't FSS everywhere, it's the "weekend" from each territory which is a 3-day in some, a 4-day in others and even a 5-day in a few.  

I'm still curious if my read on things is correct though:

Pre-opening weekend - 70m

First weekend - 245m (total 315)

Mon-Thurs - 113m (total through thursday 428)

Weekend 2 - 155m (583m)

weekend is 163,395,038 cume 584,420,099

the 163m include some of the wed/Thu day take (because of  # of days a territory has in its weekend)

In INTL there is no actual "weekly" total

Edited by rthandhisMinions
  • Like 4

Why would having seen JW before making a prediction make any difference?

At least you would have a clear idea of how the early WOM would be. If you hadn't seen it yet you had to wait a few days to accurately judge and make a prediction regarding those reviews and WOM.

But still it depends on taste of the specific person also.

But then look at Frozen. You would think Godzilla would be enormous there.

Pretty unrelated films to be honest. And Japan doesn't like hollywood remakes of their own products apparently, Edge of tomorrow failed for the same reason. Also disney is about the only foreign studio that can still boast about big grosses in Japan. Every other hollywood films do distinctly average numbers. 

• Like 2

We will have 3 $900m OS films this year (one of them 1.1 billion) with crappy exchange rates. With better exchange rates we would be talking about 3 1.1-1.2 billion OS... and who knows what can happen with SW7... it is insane.

Peludo, if you're still planning on doing that all time inflation/exchange rate global list http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18043-adjusting-exchange-rates/ you might want to wait until December and 2015 is over since the big blockbusters this year have performed at ridiculous all time levels.

As a Jurassic Park fan I can't stop grinning seeing Jurassic World's performance. Who would have called all of this just 6 months ago with the exchange rates? Proof positive that if you make movies people really want to see, no amount of crappy exchange rates will prevent them from making mega boxoffice! I think this year is still going to have plenty of surprises before its done B)

• Like 1

Peludo, if you're still planning on doing that all time inflation/exchange rate global list http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18043-adjusting-exchange-rates/ you might want to wait until December and 2015 is over since the big blockbusters this year have performed at ridiculous all time levels.

As a Jurassic Park fan I can't stop grinning seeing Jurassic World's performance. Who would have called all of this just 6 months ago with the exchange rates? Proof positive that if you make movies people really want to see, no amount of crappy exchange rates will prevent them from making mega boxoffice! I think this year is still going to have plenty of surprises before its done B)

For the moment, I do not have enough time to do it. Anyway, it requires a lot of time to do it, so maybe if I start now, I can finish the list by December...  :stretcher:

Pretty unrelated films to be honest. And Japan doesn't like hollywood remakes of their own products apparently, Edge of tomorrow failed for the same reason. Also disney is about the only foreign studio that can still boast about big grosses in Japan. Every other hollywood films do distinctly average numbers. 

Let´s  not forget, Jurassic Park back in 1993 made 120M in Japan. JW might do big numbers in Japan. Or it can make 50M there as any other big HW blockbuster these days. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Edited by dezorz
  • Like 2

Let´s  not forget, Jurassic Park back in 1993 made 120M in Japan. JW might do big numbers in Japan. Or it can make 50M there as any other big HW blockbuster these days. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'd be happy with $50m from Japan. I cant go higher atm as Hobbit and last Godzilla came to mind.

Edited by picores