ACCA

Sony Pictures Hacked

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-pictures-hacked-data-held-for-ransom/

Sony Pictures was hit by a hack that forced employees to shut down their computers Monday and stay off the film studio's network, according to reports.

Sony Pictures, the film and TV arm of Japanese tech and media conglomerate Sony, was hacked at some point in the last two days by a group calling itself #GOP, reported The Hollywood Reporter, citing people within the studio. The hackers claimed to have obtained Sony Pictures' internal data, including its "secrets," and said they would release the data to the public if their demands were not met, according to reports. It is unclear what the hacker group is demanding.

Sony has kept quiet on the incident, saying only that it is investigating an "IT matter." Sony did not immediately respond to CNET's request for comment.

Sony Pictures employees were told Monday to shut down computers and not access corporate networks or email, as well as disable Wi-Fi on all mobile devices, reported Variety. It is unclear if Sony Pictures, which has produced films such as "The Amazing Spider-Man" and TV shows including "Shark Tank," was the target or if the hackers were attempting to go after Sony Corp. Sony Pictures Animation, Sony Music Entertainment and other parts of Sony Corp. were not affected by the hack, reported the Los Angeles Times.

This hack could be the latest in a string of embarrassing security breaches for Sony. Last week, hacker group DerpTrolling released thousands of what it claimed were user logins from PlayStation Network, 2K Games and Windows Live -- though some reports have suggested the leak may have been faked.

In August, Sony's PlayStation Network was taken down by a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, a common hacker technique that overwhelms a system with traffic and makes regular service temporarily unavailable. The gaming network was also the target of a more severe hack in 2011, which led to the exposure of the personal data of more than 100 million customers signed up for PlayStation Network, Qriocity, and Sony Online. Sony took the networks -- for downloading and playing games, movies, and music -- offline for about a month before bringing them back up.

I wonder if this is related at all to Sony having Spider-man film rights. :ph34r:

The timing is very interesting.

Edited by ACCA

I wonder if this is related at all to Sony having Spider-man film rights. :ph34r:

iJack hacked Sony and is threatening to spill their secrets unless they turn over the rights of the dead Spiderman franchise back over to Marvel, he simply cannot live in a world where his beloved Spiderman is a punchline.

Sony Pictures Entertainment is exploring the possibility that hackers working on behalf of North Korea, perhaps operating out of China, may be behind a devastating attack that brought the studio’s network to a screeching halt earlier this week, sources familiar with the matter tell Re/code.

The timing of the attack coincides with the imminent release of “The Interview,” a Sony film that depicts a CIA plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un. The nation’s ever-belligerent state propaganda outlets have threatened “merciless retaliation” against the U.S. and other nations if the film is released.

There was a rumor that the North Koreans did this as they were angry about the film The Interview.

It's total bullshit to think that but my inital reaction was this: When has North Korea ever have an interest in helping angry Spider-man fans achieve their dreams?

Edit: Seriously though, it's a stupid rumor.

Edited by Rorschach Le Pingu
  • Like 1

I hope the Aunt May spy film script won't be leaked.

Whenever I think of that as an idea, I always think back to that one episode of "The Looney Tunes Show" where Granny told the story of how she was a kick-ass spy back in her day. Idk, that's what I always picture though when I hear that idea though.

I'd take any rumor about North Korea being involved with a grain of salt.

I mean, that'd be the first thing North Korea ever accomplished.

I don't believe it is North Korea but don't underestimate their hacking skills. They have managed to succesfully hack South Korean banks and other institutions here in the past.  

They areprobably capable of pulling this kind of thing off, they probably just  didn't on this occasion.