kayumanggi

MONDAY NUMBERS | 11.24.2014 | 01.19 M DADT

Good for GOTG, it deserves to be the highest grossing movie of the year.

Don't jinx it or get my hopes up! It's too early to declare GOTG DOM > MJ1 DOM.  I've nothing against the Hunger Games franchise - haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies - but I love GOTG and it would be cool for such an out-of-nowhere flick to take the DOM crown.  And there's still the Hobbit to contend with.

GOTG, should it hold on, would be among the bigger "upset DOM winners."  Shrek 2 over Spidey 2 was a surprise (but Shrek was much more well known at the time than the Guardians were, pre-release).  Same with Spider-Man over Attack of the Clones.  As far as a pretty-much-unknown commodity with a relatively-unknown cast/director taking the DOM title, you might have to go back to 1992 when Aladdin beat out Batman Returns.  But even that had Robin Williams in a major role.  But he was strictly animated, much like the two biggest names in GOTG (Cooper and Diesel).  Maybe all the way back to Three Men and a Baby - Danson, Selleck, and Guttenburg weren't exactly huge box-office draws at the time.

There's probably a thread dedicated to this topic somewhere...!

• Like 1

Lionsgate released their numbers for Mockingjay exactly one minute after the stock markets closed both yesterday and today.

Which confirms my theory they thought they had a 400m dom grosser on their hands and they are in panic mode regarding their shareholders.