grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh I can guarantee Spielberg couldn't care less if his films are hits these days lol.

I doubt that, everything he do always has box office strongly in mind and has some obsession with efficiency / lowering the budget to make sure is movies are profitable since 1941.

In a interview Khan said that a recurring talk they have when they think they are missing something or making a decision is: How many millions more at the box office would that bring to have it.

Even with all he did, he does seem to still be legacy obsess.

• Like 1

The hype didn’t last long lol. Those being pandered to will love this movie (critics with an online presence, or basically blogosphere critics). As for the New York Times, WaPo, and the Albuquerque Journal reviewers? Not so much. I’ll still see it, but I’m not expecting Jurassic Park/ET/Raiders/Jaws level of adventure movie. 

The sad thing is that if this really is a bottom tier Spielberg movie, it's really shameful, because the concept of a giant VR video game being used as a paradisiacal escapist wonderland to help the lives of those living in a destroyed dystopian future actually has some meat to it. It sounds very YA'ish, but there certainly is a ring to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Somehow went up to 60% and at the same time down to 4.7/10 avg rating.

Back at 67%, I have a feeling it’s going to land in the 70s which will put it on par with WOTW, Tintin and The BFG in terms of reception 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Back at 67%, I have a feeling it’s going to land in the 70s which will put it on par with WOTW, Tintin and The BFG in terms of reception 

The MetaCritic score being at 69/100 also suggests this. It's pretty damn rare the RT percentage is lower for fresh movies.

Edited by Lucas

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

People shouldn't be so quick to throw the film off. The Post also started out rotten. A RT score around The BFG and Tintin would not surprise me at all. I'm guessing 74%.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It sounds like it'll be received well enough but won't be without its detractors. We'll get a clearer picture the closer we get to release.

Given the source material, that was to be expected. 

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

People shouldn't be so quick to throw the film off. The Post also started out rotten. A RT score around The BFG and Tintin would not surprise me at all. I'm guessing 74%.

70s would be solid, I wasn’t expecting the next Jurassic Park but it seems Spielberg has made a crowd pleaser. The fact WB has reviews for RPO before Tomb Raider shows which movie they more confident with

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1