grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

5 hours ago, Morieris said:

Iron Giant and LOTR (I still don't see that easter egg but not a big LOTR fan here) were distributed by them (Somewhat, LOTR = New Line and they were bought by WB.) and WB owns the American rights to live action Akira.

& I guess Paramount just let them use Ninja Turtles because what else are they doing with them cinematically I liked the 2016 movie though.

WB also owns Freddy Kruger and BTTF is Universal iirc

BTTF is an Amblin production first and foremost. Maybe Spielberg's producer credits override both Universal (who can be just distributor and not owner of the rights) and Zemeckis who gave him his benediction alongside Bob Gale.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Zemeckis owes his career to Spielberg, I am sure he doesn't mind the BTTF thing.

The Berg is also on the Board of Universal Themeparks plus Dreamworks is on the backlot, The Berg just gave Universal all the Dreamworks theme park rights too last year. Universal wouldn't dare say no to Spielberg

• Thanks 1

It's not that difficult to get different IPs in one film, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? managed it as did Wreck It Ralph. I imagine Spielberg was able to get most of the IPs for RPO and simply change others with what Warner Bros owns. 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2017 at 0:41 PM, Jay Hollywood said:

3 year gap is a normal director break and He had 2 movies again in 2002. So from 1997 to 2002 he released 6 films, pulling a Woody Allen but with massive budgets

And it is not really a break of 3 year's, not only he started to work on AI November 1999 just a bit over a year after SPR release, but he produced like 4 movies and a video game (Medal of Honor that did a bit of the SPR big scene moment in a video game format) that got a release between those 2. Was also involved in documentaries, Shrek, some tv movie, Jurassic Park 3, Animaniacs, Band of Brothers and other tv series, etc...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

This doesn't feel like a Spielberg movie at all. The style and everything: if I didn't know Spielberg did in fact direct this and it wasn't in the trailer and you showed me the trailer then told me Spielberg did this, I wouldn't believe you.

This has nothing to do with the movie's quality. It just doesn't feel like a Spielberg movie.

Still has the Janusz Kaminski/Spielberg usual grayish color palette look imo, specially the city at the beginning .

The DeLorean car sequence with the tree with fall color leaf would not have been totally out of place in AI and the sequence right after in War of the Worlds look wise.

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Just saw the trailer for this. Looks like a lot of fun. The trailer was a bit messy and overloaded though. And I am skeptical about the lead. They could have found someone better than Tye Sheridan

Tye Sheridan is an Marcelle Mastroianni award winner that was excellent in everything I saw him (He was particularly impressive in Joe and Mud), he already worked with Malick, Jeff Nichols, David Gordon Gree and now Spielberg, that an impressive list of director that casted him.

Growing up from teenager does not always work obviously, but he was an obvious candidate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Tye Sheridan is an Marcelle Mastroianni award winner that was excellent in everything I saw him (He was particularly impressive in Joe and Mud), he already worked with Malick, Jeff Nichols, David Gordon Gree and now Spielberg, that an impressive list of director that casted him.

Growing up from teenager does not always work obviously, but he was an obvious candidate.

Getting casted by some directors in relatively small roles demonstrates acting ability? Thats a weird thing. Guess Jai Courtney must be a good actor too then coz many director casted him too.

Not saying he is a bad actor but I just find him wooden and feel they could have gone with someone more recognizable and experienced. 

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Getting casted by some directors in relatively small roles demonstrates acting ability?

How Joe or Mud were small role ?, specially Mud he was the lead.

I would expect a correlation between acting ability for unknown actor that great director choose among hundreds candidates, it is not a direct demonstration but an indirect one, why would a great director that every agents want all their clients to work with choose a bad actor to be in their movies ?

When was Jay Courtney ever involved with a great director movie ?

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Oh shit, that's not Deadpool? I saw someone mention it in the comments section and thought it was him. 

Nope (Thanks the Beard, the neckbeard pandering is already insufferable enough since the teaser broke out), it's Harley Quinn and Deadshot since it's WB producing, they can shoehorn every DC characters in there.

2 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Nope (Thanks the Beard, the neckbeard pandering is already insufferable enough since the teaser broke out), it's Harley Quinn and Deadshot since it's WB producing, they can shoehorn every DC characters in there.

I'm assuming it's guns on the back, but it looks more like swords. If it weren't for Harley's silhouette, I'd think it's Deadpool as well

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How Joe or Mud were small role ?, specially Mud he was the lead.

I would expect a correlation between acting ability for unknown actor that great director choose among hundreds candidates, it is not a direct demonstration but an indirect one, why would a great director that every agents want all their clients to work with choose a bad actor to be in their movies ?

When was Jay Courtney ever involved with a great director movie ?

I thought Mud was lead by Mcconaughey and he got most of the praise for performance. Both of the movie mentioned he was a kid. As for Jai Courtney you can look it up his filmography, i'm not gonna bother to list them.

I still think he is wooden and I stand by that for now. I think someone better could have been casted. You think otherwise. There is nothing to argue here further and frankly I don't want to either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I'm assuming it's guns on the back, but it looks more like swords. If it weren't for Harley's silhouette, I'd think it's Deadpool as well

no they're swords.  Deadshot has swords too.  Deadpool was a direct "ripoff" of Deadshot when he was made even down to his character's real name.