grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

You are the only people on the face of the planet who aren't excited for this. C'MON! There's a DeLorean racing with some Landspeeder-looking things Speed Racer-style! THE IRON FUCKING GIANT IS IN THIS MOVIE!!

And the teaser trailer - which is what this is - is meant to give away the tone of the movie, not the story, so that complaint is imo a bit redundant.

How devoid of a soul can you be if not a bone in your body gets tingles from this at least once? :sadben:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You are the only people on the face of the planet who aren't excited for this. C'MON! There's a DeLorean racing with some Landspeeder-looking things Speed Racer-style! THE IRON FUCKING GIANT IS IN THIS MOVIE!!

And the teaser trailer - which is what this is - is meant to give away the tone of the movie, not the story, so that complaint is imo a bit redundant.

How devoid of a soul can you be if not a bone in your body gets tingles from this at least once?

Some people just want a good story with interesting characters and some thematic depth under the surface of pop culture references and cool visuals.

But I suppose other people pretend to be more jaded and cynical than they actually are because they're on the internet. If you read any particular forum or site long enough, it becomes clear which users are which.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Some people just want a good story with interesting characters and some thematic depth under the surface of pop culture references and cool visuals.

But I suppose other people pretend to be more jaded and cynical than they actually are because they're on the internet. If you read any particular forum or site long enough, it becomes clear which users are which.

I know, I was just joking about that, obviously I don't spite anyone who doesn't like a trailer for anything. It's obvious that you can't have a good movie without good storytelling, no matter how flashy you are.

But, on that note, Ready Player One has much more to its core than just flash and nostalgia, at least imo. Again, the whole point of the story is to directly debate what is like to have mass escapism in a world of drearyness, and wheater or not is it anything other than a mask for people to forget about real world problems - does it bring true value to their lives? At least that was one of my takeaways from the basic storyline, whenever the story subject wasn't geeking out about Ultraman. But even if the book didn't make it look like such, I think this is definitely a case of something being better translated to film than to page.

But yeah, you, unfortunately, do make a good point about certain people, because, well, some people just like to be keyboard warriors for no reason.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Maybe a stupid question but what about copyrights? Aren't these properties from different studios?

Iron Giant and LOTR (I still don't see that easter egg but not a big LOTR fan here) were distributed by them (Somewhat, LOTR = New Line and they were bought by WB.) and WB owns the American rights to live action Akira.

& I guess Paramount just let them use Ninja Turtles because what else are they doing with them cinematically I liked the 2016 movie though.

• Community Manager

This doesn't feel like a Spielberg movie at all. The style and everything: if I didn't know Spielberg did in fact direct this and it wasn't in the trailer and you showed me the trailer then told me Spielberg did this, I wouldn't believe you.

This has nothing to do with the movie's quality. It just doesn't feel like a Spielberg movie.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

This doesn't feel like a Spielberg movie at all. The style and everything: if I didn't know Spielberg did in fact direct this and it wasn't in the trailer and you showed me the trailer then told me Spielberg did this, I wouldn't believe you.

This has nothing to do with the movie's quality. It just doesn't feel like a Spielberg movie.

Perhaps he simply wants to do something different after 40+ years in the industry? I'd be up for something different if I had a career as illustrious as his.

• Like 2