grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I hope this movie doesn't only rely on nostalgia for the sake of making the audience feel nostalgic and being all like "Oh look. The Iron Giant. Something I recognize from my childhood. Pop culture! I automatically love this movie because of how nostalgic I feel."

5 minutes ago, afalconer7 said:

I hope this movie doesn't only rely on nostalgia for the sake of making the audience feel nostalgic and being all like "Oh look. The Iron Giant. Something I recognize from my childhood. Pop culture! I automatically love this movie because of how nostalgic I feel."

Same. Nostalgia is a great feel-good thing, but a film can't survive on that alone.

1 hour ago, afalconer7 said:

That's basically the book, for better or worse. 

Seriously, how many of these geeky pop culture references Spielberg is aware of from this movie ?

During the Bridge of Spies press tour, he would ramble about how he didn't care much for the movies of the summer season but was waiting for the AMPAS season movies more.

Which is the definition of irony coming from him.

• Astonished 1

34 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Seriously, how many of these geeky pop culture references Spielberg is aware of from this movie ?

During the Bridge of Spies press tour, he would ramble about how he didn't care much for the movies of the summer season but was waiting for the AMPAS season movies more.

Which is the definition of irony coming from him.

Are you seriously doubting the geek creds of the guy who produces your beloved Transformers?

:apocalypse:

The irony inside the irony...

(Spielberg is one clever and cynical geek. The guy was a hardcore gamer back in the nineties while shooting movies. He always has kept an eye on videogame industry trying to milk it through Dreamworks Interactive, Medal Of Honor is credited to him as the mastermind behind it. He's no casual old geezer trying to be hip with the E3 crowd because he once played to Mario Kart). 

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

So was that the Delorean from Back to the Future?

I have no idea what this film is about, I'm not familiar with the source material.  But the initial trailer is hit and miss for me.  Looks kind of generic but some of the pop culture references are pretty cool.