Blankments

WKND Est. - Hobbit 56M, NATM 17M, Annie 16M, Exodus 8M, Mockingjay 7M, John Wick 115K, Interview 0M

Ray Subers (BOM) is now saying likely 280m+ DOM for Hobbit. Thats definitely a bold statement :unsure:

I don't know whether it will go that high. But it will do a lot better than most people here think or did think till its weekend performance became apparent. Most predictions/projections were thrown off course by its Wednesday release impact. 

• Like 1

Last year Anchorman 2 had a 3.17 multiplier from his 5-day OW on this same weekend. If estimates holds, that would put Hobbit 3 at 287m. If we take Anchorman 2 OW alone the multiplier is 4.77 which means 267m. Not apples to apples, but....

To outgross Desolation 259m looks very very likely.

Edited by picores

Ended up as a solid 5 day for BotFA. Thank god those weekend increases were big cause I was in panic mode with the Thursday drop. Will be the third biggest 2014 grosser DOM. Not that that's saying much, but at least it shouldn't decrease from the last.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I was expecting a little bit bigger thread for The Hobbit. 25 pages for a weekend thread Pre-Christmas is a little sad. 

Guess expectations were low or anticipated so it was a thread full of surprises by members if it did really well.

Ouch at Gone Girl though. That huge theater loss really hurt it. Sub 40% drops for 3 months straight to a 60%+ one. Hopefully it gets a re-expansion for Oscar season since I think it can still keep going for awhile with a solid theater count.

Its been out for a long time now.

• Like 1

I think it's because John Huston had some hallucination that he was the new Vincent Minelli. 

The only great American film musicals in the last three decades have been animated.  Other than that only handful are even good.

Sad since this used to be a genre at which Hollywood once excelled.

High School Musical 2 says "hello".

• Like 1

Ouch at Gone Girl though. That huge theater loss really hurt it. Sub 40% drops for 3 months straight to a 60%+ one. Hopefully it gets a re-expansion for Oscar season since I think it can still keep going for awhile with a solid theater count.

Ouch?  Really?  It's run its course.  

• Like 1

It doesn't define shit, lol.

Completely eclipsed by so many films this year. Interstellar, Dragon, 22JS, DoFP, and CA2.

Dragon 2 was a melodramatic bore, no wonder it did poorly. 22js was funny, DOFP was meh, had a couple of good scenes but totally forgettable and CA2 was pretty good 2, either way they are all completely different to GOTG so why are you comparing?

The critics know it, the audience know it and deep down inside you know GOTG is awesome.

p.s its better than those stupid potter movies :P, that's right, I went there

Edited by jessie

Dragon 2 was a melodramatic bore, no wonder it did poorly. 22js was funny, DOFP was meh, had a couple of good scenes but totally forgettable and CA2 was pretty good 2, either way they are all completely different to GOTG so why are you comparing?

The critics know it, the audience know it and deep down inside you know GOTG is awesome.

p.s its better than those stupid potter movies :P, that's right, I went there

Well, GotG was cinematic trash so your point fails :P It's probably the worst Marvel movie since the last Hulk and that says a lot. It's bad even on a comedy level, so... TH on the other hand. And HP. One word: EPICNESS.

• Like 1