32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I mean if it came out in 2015, a proper campaign could've taken place instead the shitshow Paramount has done. Besides, I really don't think it was ever gonna beat Boyhood for direction, even though Ava does a phenomenal job here as well.

I certainly liked it more than 12 Years personally

• Like 2

So, what you're saying is... Bomb ass film and everyone is extra and wack as fuck for not giving it the recognition it deserves? 

Basically this.

This film is so so so so so good and so incredibly important right now. I can't believe it's not winning every single thing it's been up for so far and I also can't believe it hasn't been up for more. Paramount sucks for screwing it, screeners wise but the award bodies suck too for not going to a theater to see it... You work in the industry yet you don't support the industry and then you complain about how poorly it's doing. BUT ANYWAY, Selma: Fantastic direction, fantastic cast, fantastic everything IMO.

• Like 2

Selma: How in the hell did David Oyelowo not get an Oscar nomination? To portray a very important man like Martin Luther King Jr. and knock it out of the park and still not get nominated is just wrong. Selma is a great film that I feel was very overlooked by the Academy and overlooked by a lot of moviegoers. This is definitely a film that will be shown in many history classes in the near future.

Now to address the controversy with President Lyndon B. Johnson and how he is portrayed in the film. I really don't see the controversy. To me President Johnson was just playing politics, not trying to go against King and his protest.

Overall, Selma is a great film, sometimes hard to watch due to the violence, but nevertheless deserves and should be seen.

Grade: A

• Like 1

• Community Manager
To portray a very important man like Martin Luther King Jr. and knock it out of the park and still not get nominated is just wrong.

Apparently Selma screeners were sent out too late to guilds and such.

Edited by Water Bottle
  • Like 1

Incredible film and one of the best and moving biopics in a longtime. Its star gave the best performance by far of the year. I only.wish Selma had.explored more of Mlk's past and even more of the hardships faced on the road to selma..love the bobby kennedy moment at the end. All and all way better film than 12yrs of the slave overall. I give this one a 96

Out of 100. Oleywo gives densil and even jack at his best a run for their money as he embodieds king something fierce. Best film ive seen this yr by a large margin. I cant believe someone gave this beautiful film an f. They must me smoking some powerful shit in the words of Samuel Jackson. Lol. Hope everyone enjoys selma. I just wished it had been longer

• Like 2

The fact that someone can watch a movie like Imitation Game and then watch this and somehow believe that Imitation Game is a higher artistic achievement and more powerful and well-made film literally defies comprehension for me. The Academy got this so wrong. It's unbelievable. 

• Like 3

I think Selma is not that well made, but it is a good film based on the events is shows and the message.

The liking of the Imitation game is a general liking some or a lot of people have towards British Historical films (TKS and such). 

A powerful and moving film, wonderfully written and acted.  It should have at least been nominated for Best Original Screenplay and Best Director & Actor.  It has a very strong ensemble with a stellar David Oyelowo who manages to bring an icon to life showing how and why he was an icon while also showing us the very human man he was.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

maybe I'll ipgrade it to A when I watch it with subs. 

David Oyelowo is amazing!!!  :wub:  :wub:

I really hope that he'll get lots of interesting movie roles in the future.

Like someone above said Selma >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TIG & it should have reflected in the noms

• Like 2

No idea WHY this is anywhere near an Oscar nominated film.  Besides the terrific performance from Oyelowo, the film is good, but far from terrific.  It's slow, meanders and imo doesn't really get that deeply into MLK's life.  And even though it's a story about Selma and his I had a dream speech came much later in this life, to not include that in this film was tragic imo.  And beyond MLK, I really didn't get to know many other characters.  It's an interesting film but I would put it in the same realm as Ali.  I found out some stuff I didn't know, but not nearly enough.

7/10

No idea WHY this is anywhere near an Oscar nominated film.  Besides the terrific performance from Oyelowo, the film is good, but far from terrific.  It's slow, meanders and imo doesn't really get that deeply into MLK's life.  And even though it's a story about Selma and his I had a dream speech came much later in this life, to not include that in this film was tragic imo.  And beyond MLK, I really didn't get to know many other characters.  It's an interesting film but I would put it in the same realm as Ali.  I found out some stuff I didn't know, but not nearly enough.

7/10

I Have a Dream actually was delivered in 1963, before the Selma to Montgomery March.

One thing I thought was stunning about this was it showed how amazing a speechwriter MLK was, even when none of his most famous speeches were done during the time period of Selma. Every single one sent chills down my spine.

Beyond that, I think that deciding not to delve into what happened to King before (and after, except for the credit note), was very deliberate but also very smart. This wasn't a biopic of King's life, but a story about one event in the whole Civil Rights Movement. It might have been easier and more palatable to go over all of King's life, but in this case, they chose Selma because it has a very direct and immediate parallel to what has been going on recently in Oakland or Ferguson or elsewhere.

Everything about the framing of the first day of the march was to reinforce that parallel. What happened then is still happening right now. The given reasons have changed, but the tactics really haven't. The fight is not over.

And maybe, in order to understand how to win, we need to take full stock of what MLK did and who he was as a person, and not just view the highlights of his life. Including "I Have a Dream" would have undermined that entirely.

• Like 5