Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

Since all Oscar contending films have been released, it's easier to see which films can get in by reviews and early precursor awards. Here is my updated list, it may seem too populist.

Star Wars: TFA

The Martian

Inside Out

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Revenant

Spotlight

Brooklyn

Room

Carol

Bridge of Spies

You know Big Short is this years Her and American Sniper. (I know 2 very different films)

Reason why I say that is, all 3 were films that were considered maybe, but came in very late into the race out of nowhere!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Impact said:

You know Big Short is this years Her and American Sniper. (I know 2 very different films)

Reason why I say that is, all 3 were films that were considered maybe, but came in very late into the race out of nowhere!

Difference is, Big Short is a dark horse to win BP.  I don't think either of those were.

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Spotlight

The Big Short

The Martian

Mad Max

Carol

-----------

The Revenant

-----------

Room

Inside Out

Star Wars

-----------

Bridge of Spies

Brooklyn

Straight Outta Compton

Still have the same 9 but The Revenant is down and I've swapped Room and IO

I would put Room in the same group as Revenant. The precursors have been really kind for it and buzz has not faded since its opening.

It looks like IO and TFA are going to fight for the same attention.

Bridge of Spies is the Berg's best movie since Saving Private Ryan, IMO. And it's Hanks best work in a very, very long time (and I thought he was great in Phillips). I agree with Coolio, sad to see he's being overlooked. I liked Rylance, Shannon, AND Stallone in their films alot, but it's a shame they're overshadowing some tremendous work from Hanks, Jordan (the soul of Creed), and Garfield (by far the best he's ever been- so believable). Also kinda weird that Ruffalo is overshadowing Keaton- Ruffalo has the more "showy" scenes, but I thought Keaton was the heart and soul of the ensemble. Nuanced and exciting performance. 

It's a subtle performance in a subtle movie (not as subtle as Rylance), but I thought it was one of the best embodiments of American masculinity and "everyman" traits that Hanks has ever done, and I thought he found fascinating ways to take that "everyman" persona and apply it to concepts outside of himself. He's a commanding figure that MAKES you care about every moment in the movie. As great as the Berg's direction is, and as great as Rylance is, the reason that movie works is because we have Tom Hanks guiding us through it. And considering I really loved BOS, that means I gotta give major props to Hanks. 

Also, from my personal perspective as an actor, I usually find it 100x times more difficult to create a dynamic, impressive performance that looks like yourself than doing so when playing a very "big" or "different" character. So maybe that's why I was so impressed by Hanks. 

• Like 1

i mostly agree with clay. I think jimmy stewart comparisons have been made with hanks before but bridge is the first time I'd consider him on that level. He's never had that level of authority and presence b4. he's also not fishing for sympathy in that way he usually falls back on. it's definitely muuuuch better work than what I've seen of the actors who actually have a shot of a nod.

• Like 1