LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen. – Ambrose Bierce

;)

I believe in my whole race. Yellow, white, black, red, brown --in the honesty, courage, intelligence, durability....and goodness.....of the overwhelming majority of my brothers and sisters everywhere on this planet. I am proud to be a human being. I believe that we have come this far by the skin of our teeth, that we always make it just by the skin of our teeth --but that we will always make it....survive....endure. I believe that this hairless embryo with the aching, oversize brain case and the opposable thumb, this animal barely up from the apes, will endure --will endure longer than his home planet, will spread out to the other planets, to the stars, and beyond, carrying with him his honesty, his insatiable curiosity, his unlimited courage --and his noble essential decency. 

- Heinlein

Let's face it, we're always going to want some sense of group identity that distinguishes us from an "other", and until we've discovered intelligent ET that means taking pride in the culture of the country we live in. Being proud of humanity is good and all, but since there's no one to compare ourselves to we can't take anything tangible from it, unlike patriotism.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen. – Ambrose Bierce

;)

I believe in my whole race. Yellow, white, black, red, brown --in the honesty, courage, intelligence, durability....and goodness.....of the overwhelming majority of my brothers and sisters everywhere on this planet. I am proud to be a human being. I believe that we have come this far by the skin of our teeth, that we always make it just by the skin of our teeth --but that we will always make it....survive....endure. I believe that this hairless embryo with the aching, oversize brain case and the opposable thumb, this animal barely up from the apes, will endure --will endure longer than his home planet, will spread out to the other planets, to the stars, and beyond, carrying with him his honesty, his insatiable curiosity, his unlimited courage --and his noble essential decency. 

- Heinlein

Patriotism is as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the support of societies as natural affection is for the support of families.

Benjamin Rush (aka some dead, white guy from the 1700s who was obviously a useless racist)
  • Like 2

Patriotism is as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the support of societies as natural affection is for the support of families.

Benjamin Rush (aka some dead, white guy from the 1700s who was obviously a useless racist)

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

– Samuel Johnson

;)

• Like 2

Oh please. When the two movies in question are both historical biopics and the violence/patriotism fueled one about the white guy who killed people for a living makes 10x over what the MLK one does, how does it not say something about American society? When America has had nothing but problems with gun control violence and racial equality lately? It doesn't mean I'm saying this signals the breakdown of all humanity. But two biopics that should have been on relatively equal playing fields at the box office clearly weren't certainly speaks as to what American audiences find appealing. And that AS is so much more appealing over Selma is a little troubling given current issues in the country.

If I was just throwing a fit about some movie I liked not doing well, it would look much different than what I've brought up. You didn't see me bringing social commentary into the discussion when I was pissed about Frozen's success. That was just rage fueled rants and raves.

Are you going to protest at theaters?

Just got back, I have a feeling wom is gonna be crazy good.  The theater was completely packed with huge lines and I don't live in a "patriotic/redneck/conservative/whatever" city. 

This is what UNBROKEN could've been if it didn't suck.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Just got back, I have a feeling wom is gonna be crazy good.  The theater was completely packed with huge lines and I don't live in a "patriotic/redneck/conservative/whatever" city. 

This is what UNBROKEN could've been.

Did you like it?