Alpha

Saturday numbers RTH: AS 16.8 pg 9

Passion of the Christ is a run that might not have been possible today. It would still have opened as well, but would it have had legs as killer?

And any controversy with AS could never measure up to Passion. That movie was such a phenomenon that I took a college course about the movie two years later. It was still being discussed two years after its theatrical release. (And this was before Gibson's DUI reignited it.)

The Da Vinci Code was flying off bookshelves at the same time, that had to have played a role in fanning the flames. The two fed off each other - I was there, there was a lot of stuff in religious circles where Passion and Da Vinci were compared/contrasted, "Da Vinci is a lie," "Passion is the truth about Jesus," there were so many think pieces and opinion pieces about one or the other or both that it stayed relevant long enough for me to be taking a course about the two in the fall semester of 2006. Yes, the Da Vinci Code movie had recently come out, but Passion was two years old. It just feels like the phenomenon wouldn't have the same kind of staying power in the age of Twitter...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Passion>Sniper

Jesus still trumps 'Murica?

I was hoping the sky wizard would get taken down by a Sniper for all time R-rated film, but honestly anything over 300m for an R-rated drama film is just incredible in this day and age and works for me.  Where did most most people have this a week before release, 60-90m total? lol.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

Kids disappointing for Almanac :( I was hoping it could reach high teen millions...

Is it really disappointing, though? The "found footage" scenario is beyond played-out at this point, and this didn't look to offer anything new to the genre whatsoever.

• Like 4

Cant believe some are saying AS is colapsing. US north east just got walloped with a massive snow fall this week and now its Super Bowl weekend. Its not collapsing at all.

• Like 10

Cant believe some are saying AS is colapsing. US north east just got walloped with a massive snow fall this week and now its Super Bowl weekend. Its not collapsing at all.

It's certainly not collapsing, but it seems like it's coming down to earth a little bit after it started off with ridiculous grosses.

AS may not be Collapsing but at least it shows he s human because his run until now put him into the freak category.

But yep, it s very possible that the drop next week end for The most lethal sniper in america ´s history will be small even with Jupiter Ascending, Seventh Son and Spongebob openings.

• Like 1