Alpha

Saturday numbers RTH: AS 16.8 pg 9

The base audience for the movie (conservatives/red state/rural males) saw it in huge numbers for the first 2 weekends.  Outside that demographic, it probably doesn't have huge appeal in other parts/demographics of the country.  It is basically going to come back to reality now with 50% drops every weekend from now on.  

Is it really disappointing, though? The "found footage" scenario is beyond played-out at this point, and this didn't look to offer anything new to the genre whatsoever.

I was hoping that with t=many of the early reviews saying it actually wasn't bad for a found-footage movie, that it would perform decently. It's not a flop by any means, but I thought it looked at least different enough for people to go check it out (more than 4.8M worth of people on OD).

AS may not be Collapsing but at least it shows he s human because his run until now put him into the freak category.

But yep, it s very possible that the drop next week end for The most lethal sniper in america ´s history will be small even with Jupiter Ascending, Seventh Son and Spongebob openings.

Maybe, maybe not. American Sniper just got some more coverage from the news, because First Lady Michelle Obama just reviewed it, giving the movie 2 thumbs up. This could drive the interest even higher into the movie now.

Maybe, maybe not. American Sniper just got some more coverage from the news, because First Lady Michelle Obama just reviewed it, giving the movie 2 thumbs up. This could drive the interest even higher into the movie now.

Does that mean its now safe for the non-white, non-male, non-middle America, non-'murica shouting, non-racist, non-haters who have been cursing this movie's box office performance to see it?

I was hoping that with t=many of the early reviews saying it actually wasn't bad for a found-footage movie, that it would perform decently. It's not a flop by any means, but I thought it looked at least different enough for people to go check it out (more than 4.8M worth of people on OD).

Not a huge hit or anything, but it's going to make more than The Loft and Black or White added up together. Well over the Blackhat/Mortdecai/Strange Magic range.

• Like 1

The trailer for Project Almanac actually started out pretty cool, with the kid seeing himself in the old tape in all but after a minute you realize that the trailer has already contradicted time travel and then it's just like...ugg.

Does that mean its now safe for the non-white, non-male, non-middle America, non-'murica shouting, non-racist, non-haters who have been cursing this movie's box office performance to see it?

The coast is clear. Get it. The "coast".

The base audience for the movie (conservatives/red state/rural males) saw it in huge numbers for the first 2 weekends.  Outside that demographic, it probably doesn't have huge appeal in other parts/demographics of the country.  It is basically going to come back to reality now with 50% drops every weekend from now on.  

Want to be on that?  Serious bet.  I'll bet you for the next three weeks it won't fall more than 45%.  $20.00.  Serious bet.

• Like 1

The trailer for Project Almanac actually started out pretty cool, with the kid seeing himself in the old tape in all but after a minute you realize that the trailer has already contradicted time travel and then it's just like...ugg.

Time travel movies never make sense. I'll probably see Almanac tomorrow. I might see AS too if I have enough time.

Time travel movies never make sense. I'll probably see Almanac tomorrow. I might see AS too if I have enough time.

Yeah, but screwing it up in the trailer is off putting. All in all the movie looks OK. I was going to see it with some friends tonight but everyone was being pissy so we didn't end up doing it.

Want to be on that?  Serious bet.  I'll bet you for the next three weeks it won't fall more than 45%.  $20.00.  Serious bet.

Not even when it goes up against 50 Shades on Valentine's weekend? AS isn't exactly a movie you see on Valentine's Day.

I think it's a real buzzkill when you find out the movie's just going to retread the same old moralizing about not changing the past and being careful what you wish for. What I'd like to see is a movie where people just go back in time and fuck shit up.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Agreed, but its always fun to see what "logic" the filmmakers come up with. Time travel has tons of potential for good sci-fi, with aspects like predestination I find really intriguing.

I was supposed to see Project Almanac this afternoon, but circumstances prevented it. I might be seeing Theory of Everything tomorrow, so I hope I can catch Almanac sometime this week.