antovolk

John Wick: Chapter 2 | February 10, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 8

UPDATE MAY 4:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/05/04/keanu-reeves-is-back-lionsgate-announces-john-wick-2/2/

LIONSGATE RELOADS “JOHN WICK 2”

Keanu Reeves, Directors David Leitch and Chad Stahelski Return

Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF) has confirmed plans to produce a sequel to 2014’s critically-acclaimed breakout hit “JOHN WICK,” it was announced today by Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger, Co-Chairmen of the Theatrical Motion Pictures Group. Keanu Reeves along with directors David Leitch and Chad Stahelski as well as screenwriter, Derek Kolstad are set to return for the sequel. The film will be released through Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment and will be produced by Thunder Road’s Basil Iwanyk, who produced the first film.

In the follow up to last year’s adrenaline-fueled revenge and redemption thriller, legendary hit man John Wick is back.

“With such tremendous fan and critical support for ‘John Wick,’ we knew that there was still so much more of this story to tell,” said Jason Constantine, President of Acquisitions and Co-Productions. “We are thrilled that Keanu, David and Chad have re-teamed with us and promise to bring audiences even more excitement the second time around.”

Jason Constantine and Eda Kowan at Lionsgate will oversee the project on behalf of the studio.

Lionsgate International will be selling the picture internationally at the upcoming Cannes Film Market.

We’re happy to report that if you were completely blown away by the action and thrills in John Wick, the directors tell us they’re in the works on another one.

During our chat with Chad Stahelski and David Leitch for “Director’s Notebook,” the stuntmen turned directors revealed that they definitely want to give the fans what they want and are currently working on a sequel to their hit debut, which not only proved that Keanu Reeves is still a viable action star but introduced us to some spectacular new action sequences like “gun fu” and “car fu.”

“We’re in development right now,” Stahelski told us.

They didn’t go into any specifics on story or if Reeves would return, though Stahelski did hint, “If we could work with Keanu Reeves for 10 movies you’d have a really cool career.” The two admitted that pressure of a sequel isn’t coming up with more action, but keeping the character relatable.

“We have ideas for days and without blinking twice we know we can outdo the action from the original,” Stahelski said. “It’s the matter of story and how much you like the character. That’s always the most important. If there’s great action but you have a character that no one likes and doesn’t have charisma you’re not going to watch it. Look at any great action star, whether it’s Harrison Ford or Liam Neeson or Robert Downey Jr., pick a name, you love the guy first. Good action, bad action, you just love them in action. So we want to make sure we have a story and a character that everybody loves and then we’ll dress it with action that we promise will be awesome.”

“You gotta go on a journey with the guy and have to like the guy,” Leitch added.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/john-wick-sequel/17849

Won't be surprised if we get more info Friday during LGF's earnings call. In the meantime, since we are talking Lionsgate...post your theme park/live show/concert ideas...

• Like 1

One of those sequels only fanboys want and it is gonna bomb spectacularly. 

Only if it is spectacularly bad.

tumblr_inline_nj5pokswwH1rfdawf.gif

I'm so down for a Keanu Reeves comeback lol.  I was watching interviews he did for this movie and he seems like one of the most humble and nicest dudes in Hollywood.

• Like 4

Yeah, the first one cost $20m and made $79m WW.  Plus, I think it's gonna have a lot more fans on the home video front.  

It's still got a few more million to collect in overseas markets since it just came out in places like Italy and Germany I think.

Pacific Rim 2, this is not.

I love the first movie.  I have seen it twice in less than 24 hours when I got the blu ray.  However, in saying that, not sure how I feel about a sequel.  Are they going to kill his dog again? :P

but even with my concerns, of course I am going to watch the second movie!!  :D

• Like 1

Even thought the story won't be as impressive, at least Chad and Dave will be back and are far superior action directors than Taken sequels director Olivier Megaflop. Seriously, did Luc Besson hire him to direct movies based on the sound of his name?

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

Reeves doesn't really do sequels. Matrix and bill and ted, anything else? If he did this could be his taken style franchise on a smaller scale.

Outside of those movies and Speed, the only film of his that has a sequel he didn't appear in, he hasn't really done anything else to warrant a sequel. They were presumably aiming to make a franchise out of Constantine, but that didn't perform up to expectations.

Reeves probably feels the same way about a John Wick sequel as the directors do. They want to make sure the story is right.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1