Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers SB: 56, AS 24.1, JA 19 pg 54

Also I feel the actual trailer for Insurgent was pretty good it was just the weak Super Bowl ad .

The main trailer was great. The teaser and the DB spot are atrocious and make no sense. They just spoiled entire great scenes for no reason.

lol lets not get carried away.. these movies make millions of dollars profit.. :mellow:

The Interview showed its a viable option, and now Adam Sandler has ran off to Netflix. Wont be long before other stars do the same. VOD has become more and more popular, not just with movies, but with tv and music as well: streaming. And now you can get a movie off Redbox or Itunes 3 months (or less) after release. Its even been stated its possible that the NFL start airing its games on Youtube in 2021 via subscription. Youtube is also viewed more on smartphones now than actual computers. America and the world is going mobile. Ticket prices have gone up, but sales have gone down.

Thats the future, and its a cheaper option for studios, so thats why im hoping 2015 and 2016 go out strong to show studios the theater is still viable and straight to streaming shouldnt even be entertained anytime soon. Thats not getting carried away, thats taking the future. Yeah the theater industry is a billion dollar one, but it wont take much to make the streaming and on-demand industry one either. We'll see.

• Like 2

I have no issue with the option of a film going straight to VOD - more consumer choice is always a good thing. Some people don't have the money to go to the cinema, or don't want to take the time and would rather watch a movie from the comfort of their sofa/bed. Some people like to be able to pause a film. Making films go straight to home release would be a good thing, if it is financially viable.

But, I would absolutely hate to see a film never going to cinemas in the first place. The cinema is still the best way to watch a movie imo, as it's the 'full experience'. As long as the option of the cinema is still available, they can release a movie on whatever platforms they like, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Is Spongebob going to play like a normal kid's movie? College students have been watching Spongebob for the past 15 years, and the age breakdown on Friday showed half the audience was over 18.

So what will that mean for the legs?

• Like 1

AMERICAN SNIPER took in $23.29M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $281.39M. #AmericanSniper

Once again overestimated by nearly a $1 million. WB needs to hire some better estimate people.

And another one that was too high.

JUPITER ASCENDING opened with $18.37M this weekend. #JupiterAscending

• Like 1

AMERICAN SNIPER took in $23.29M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $281.39M. #AmericanSniper

Once again overestimated by nearly a $1 million. WB needs to hire some better estimate people.

And another one that was too high.

JUPITER ASCENDING opened with $18.37M this weekend. #JupiterAscending

Lol, lay off them. The estimate is less than 4% off, it's fine.

• Like 1

So, does Spongebob disprove the theory that parents won't take kids to movies that have cartoons on TV they can watch instead? (A la Dragon 2, Penguins of Madagascar)

No. I think that Spongebob also has a nostalgia factor which really helped it. The generation that grew up with spobgebob are now in the 20s now. (Or like very late teens)

• Like 1

So, does Spongebob disprove the theory that parents won't take kids to movies that have cartoons on TV they can watch instead? (A la Dragon 2, Penguins of Madagascar)

That theory is utter rubbish. I doubt it has much effect at all. I mean, I can't exactly say why Dragon 2 wasn't so much bigger, but I don't think it was because of the Dragons TV show.

I explained why Spongebob was going to be big. You cant just base the BO on "its not as popular anymore." Besides, if anyone did any research, they wouldve seen the show is actually more popular now than back in 2004, everyone just walked with that false belief because they themselves dont watch anymore.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

Mortdecai $138,508 -90% 253 -2395 $547 $7,605,668 3 Lionsgate

I don't think I've ever seen a 90% drop from opening weekend before. Has that happened?

This was the 3rd weekend for Mortdecai. It's down 90% from the 2nd weekend. Was down 65% from the ow.

• Like 3

This was the 3rd weekend for Mortdecai. It's down 90% from the 2nd weekend. Was down 65% from the ow.

Ok, I thought it was last weekend for some reason.

And yes I would suspect both this and Strange Magic will close soon.

• Like 3

I went to see "Jupiter" and saw KID AFTER KID taking photos from their parents with the SpongeBob poster.  I don't think SpongeBob had EVER lost it's popularity with Kids.  Sure some of the kids who grew up with it when they were younger are older now but I think the demo it hit worked well for it. 

• Like 2