grim22

Weekend Thread - Saturday #s (Rth). 50SOG 9M, Kingsman 8, SB 7.2, AS 4.6, Duff 4.2, McFarland 4.4, HTTM2 2.2M

It has always been that way. But blockbusters aimed at females have the most potential to break out huge. :excited:

Cinderella

Pitch Perfect 2

Hot Pursuit 

Insurgent 

Aloha 

Paper Towns

Spy

Inside Out (female protagonist)

Magic Mike XXL

Minions (women adore the Minions) 

Trainwreck

Ricki and the Flash

The Intern 

Jem and the Holograms 

Mockingjay Part 2

Sisters

Actually a fairly solid amount of major films targeting women this year. 

• Like 2

Man, Hot Tub ain't doing shit here.

50 Shades managed a triple goose egg for the matinees in IDX(how crazy is that?!)

Duff, eh.

McFarland easily on top of new releases.

What's a triple goose egg?

• Like 1

DUFF is ahead of McFarland on MovieTickets.com.  Expect it to be the winner this weekend of the 3 new releases.  Female audience is under-served.  Only 6 of the wide releases so far in early 2015 have had female protagonists.  11 have had male protagonists.  

You know, if Ando had his way there would be more films about black, female, crippled, heroine recovered, Harvard educated, single moms making $150,000 a year who solve crimes, write plays about the feminist world and the advantages one has from being a feminist, who also work a second job in a nuclear fission plant where she is in charge of disposing of the toxic waste and has a successful relationship with an over weight Asian woman who is the mayor of her town.  

Ando would cream in his pants.

• Like 6

You know, if Ando had his way there would be more films about black, female, crippled, heroine recovered, Harvard educated, single moms making $150,000 a year who solve crimes, write plays about the feminist world and the advantages one has from being a feminist, who also work a second job in a nuclear fission plant where she is in charge of disposing of the toxic waste and has a successful relationship with an over weight Asian woman who is the mayor of her town.  

That's not nice.

I hope Duff can tap into that Easy A crowd. I haven't seen the movie but I'm rooting for it. Out of all the movies releasing this weekend, I think it has the chance to become a cult classic. While McFarland is getting better reviews and may end up being the better movie, I think Duff is going to be the one that really connects with its audience.

• Like 2

And while the numbers themselves aren't all that big, they mean more than they may show. The Duff and McFarland I am very curious to see how they preform, which could tell us what we can expect in the future from sports dramas and high school movies.

Per noon industry estimates, Universal Fifty Shades of Grey is showing a Friday of $8.5M and a three-day that is between $24.9M-$30M, which would mark a 65-71% drop from its $85M bow. That’s what many insiders have been expecting all along, not so much because of its C+ CinemaScore, rather a number of female-demo films likeTwilight and Sex and the City tend to draw the bulk of their followers on opening weekend, then slide from there. 20th Century Fox’s The Kingsman looks to dip 50% in its weekend and Friday for a No. 2 spot tonight of $5M-$5.2M  and a FSS of $18M. Paramount’s  The SpongeBob Movie will likely rank sixth tonight in the low $3M, but many are expecting it to fight its up to No. 3 for the weekend with $16M-$16.5M, maybe even No. 2.  All of the new entries are in a fight with mid $3M grosses today and grosses of $8.5M-$10M, still too close to call.  Currently, Disney’s McFarland U.S.A. and CBS’ The Duff are in an interesting footrace with $3.6M-$3.7M for today.  Currently, Paramount/MGM’s Hot Tub Time Machine 2 is behind Duff and McFarland with $3.5M, however, that figure is expected  to spike as this R-rated comedy’s money isn’t in matinees, rather evening shows. Says one source about the anticipated party crowd who’ll turn up by dusk, “A film like Hot Tub Time Machine 2 is best enjoyed in a different state of mind.”

I really hate how they do it like this. Why can't they just put all this info in a list?

It would look like this:

1 50 Shades of Grey: 8.5, 24.9-30

2 Kingsman: 5-5.2, 18

3 Spongebob: 3, 16-16.5

4 DUFF; McFarland; HTTM2: 3-3.7, 8.5-10

There, cut out the trash and it's much easier to get a sense of what's actually going on.

Edited by lab276
  • Like 2

I wonder why Disney continues to do these sports films when they clearly don't do well. Don't get me wrong, it's good that Disney are doing films that don't cost $150-200m+ but surely they could something like a family comedy or a romcom could do better numbers on a similar budget.

• Like 1

I wonder why Disney continues to do these sports films when they clearly don't do well. Don't get me wrong, it's good that Disney are doing films that don't cost $150-200m+ but surely they could something like a family comedy or a romcom could do better numbers on a similar budget.

They did do Alexander and the... Whatever title.

Reported for personal attack.