Neo

Robin Hood | Nov 21 2018 | Lionsgate | Taron Egerton is Robin Hood, Jamie Foxx is Little John

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Wish they would make more movies like Gladiator and Braveheart, you know, good historical epics. In fact, those two are amazing. Alas, no dice. It's been 18 years since Gladiator....

Kingdom of Heaven (directors cut tho I guess) was super good. But yea, still 14 years ago. Heck, I'd even prefer a more gritty, "historical" Robin Hood like the Russel Crowe one than a campy action 3D fest

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Wish they would make more movies like Gladiator and Braveheart, you know, good historical epics. In fact, those two are amazing. Alas, no dice. It's been 18 years since Gladiator....

In 2004 we got Crowe Master and Commander and Hero released for a last little bit of hourah.

You might want to give Ridley Scott's "Kingdom Of Heaven" in the Director's cut a try. Damn good film about the Crusades which ,sadly, flopped at the box office largely because the studio butchered it in the threatrical version.

I see somebody beat me to the punch with "Kingdom Of Heaven".

And I second how good "Master and Commander:Far Side Of The World: was. And am still sad it bombed and we did not get  a Jack Aubrey?Maturin franchise out of it.

But what happened with those two is why we get so few Historical epics;They don't do well at the box office and they cost a lot of money...bad combination.

And that the last few we have seen have not been very good does not help matters. Even Ridley Scott, who did Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven blew it with his "Robin Hood" film just a few years ago. It was not very good, but still is probably a lot better then this turkey looks like being. At least Scott's film has a nice medieval feel to it and the people actually wore something resembeling what people wore in the middle ages.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

There might have been one or two half decent ones but IMHO nothing that comes close to Gladiator and Braveheart. I'm so pumped for the latter's release in 4K Bluray this fall!!!

Hopefully Cleopatra gets off the ground, preferably with Denis Villeneuve at the helm...

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

There might have been one or two half decent ones but IMHO nothing that comes close to Gladiator and Braveheart. I'm so pumped for the latter's release in 4K Bluray this fall!!!

Hopefully Denis Villeneuve gets to make Cleopatra...

I have a bad feeling about that one...

But yes, I too am saddened by such a drought. I love this kind of films too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Jusr saw thw most recent trailer in a theater, and whoever the costume deginer for the film is should be banned from ever working on a period film again. None of the costumes in the trailer looked remotely medieval. And, yeah, I think that is important.

The aurdience was laughing throughout the trailer, and not in a good way.

At least it is opening at the right time :THanksgiving. Appropriate for a Turkey.

The costume designer is under control of the director - his or the studio's choice.

19 hours ago, Elessar said:

Yeah, making good movies.

Nobody ever thought of that.

Who knew ?

• Like 1

it should help sell this one if they go more comedy like Zorro and less drama like Russel Crowe's 2010 Robin Hood.  

one of the rare instances where comedy helps a movie IMO

I am expecting this to flop and do #'s that are around 2/3 of what Legend of Tarzan (2016) did 

Edited by gravestonedt
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Is this supposed to be a modern take on Robin Hood? There's quite a few things in that trailer which looked as if the setting is taking place in present time when the character exists in medevil times?

Yeah, that is about it.

You can get away with that if you are a Mel Brooks style parody, but if you meant the film to be taken halfway seriously, it is a really dumbass decision.

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

Looks like Assassin's Creed.

18 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Yeah I just saw the trailer for this as well and was wondering why everyone looks like they shop at H&M? Nobody's going to watch this movie regardless, do they really think people will watch it if the actors look super cool and hip?

Exactly.

OK ,you can play around the edges a little with some topics, like the "Modern Retro" feel that the Two Burton Batmans had  (and so did "Batman:The Animated Series" but this movies just looks ridiculous.

And Audiences are not quite as stupid as people think;they pick up on this and it's going to hurt the film big time.

23 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I have a bad feeling about that one...

But yes, I too am saddened by such a drought. I love this kind of films too.

The 1963 Cleopatra has, even 50 years after, made studios very reluctant to green light a Cleo movie. It is sort of the ultimate Hollywood horror story about a film that went totally out of control. It brought Fox as close to bankruptcy as a studio can get and still live. (Irony is the closest they came was a year before the film opened..it was costing so damn much it created a cash flow problem that almost destroyed the studio).

When it finally came out, it was 1963's #1 box office grosser, but still lost Fox a lot of money in it's first release.. FOx did not break even on it until TV and video sales in the 80's.

• Like 1