kayumanggi

FRIDAY NUMBERS DHD | FOCUS - 7.5M-8M | THE LAZARUS EFFECT - 3.8M | FIFTY SHADES - 3.65M | KINGSMAN - 3.1-3.3M | SPONGEBOB - 1.98M

Yeeeaap, Will Smith's #1 drawing power days are ovah.  Yes, Focus looked like dumb action romcom schlock, but a 6m OD for a Will Smith vehicle is still bad.

100% Will Smith's fault. Took four years off of acting. Destroyed all of his good will with that vanity project After Earth. Not to mention he turned down Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained to do After Earth!!!!.  Fucking moron.  

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 4

There is no reason for it to still be seeing 45%+ drops without any significant theater drops, new competition in the marketplace, and good reviews.

SpongeBob has gotten a lot of nostalgic older audiences to see it, I think that made it more front loaded than typical family fare

• Like 1

100% Will Smith's fault. Took four years off of acting. Destroyed all of his good will with that vanity project After Earth. Not to mention he turned down Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained to do After Earth!!!!.  Fucking moron.

Do you see his net worth? Guess whos its more than:

yours

• Like 1

Pretty much, but I also think a lot of people blame Will Smith for how awkward and fucked up his kids are and that has hurt his image.

But then again, who needs Will Smith when Denzel Washington is still cranking out 100m R-rated hits?

• Like 5

Hopefully if Scuicide Squad is a hit, that it can bring back a lot of Smiths starpower, and fuel another solo vehicle outing.

that should help out and Focus may do alright in the long run because there are films that have debuted so-so like Fury for example

Do you see his net worth? Guess whos its more than:

yours

hey I like Will Smith, but it is fact the destroyed his drawing power and made poor career choices recently.  If anything it makes me sad he has done so since I am a fan of him. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

hey I like Will Smith, but it is fact the destroyed his drawing power and made poor career choices recently.  If anything it makes me sad he has done so since I am a fan of him.

He'll be fine. People here write actors off too early. Kevin Costner is doing flop after flop, wheres his doom and gloom? Jolie had nice break and was in the crap Tourist movie, then suddenly smashed with Mal. Will will be fine. Fresh Prince is still strong in syndication, he still has a good image (even if his kids are weird), and hes still got plenty of potential hits in the pipeline.

Yall cant act surprised with this opening, everyone has been saying an opening in this range forever, so why act all surpised now? And AE was a passion project, it was okay for him to pursue it, even if they did a poor job. He wouldve been awkward as Django, Foxx was the right cast anyway. Will will be fine. He'll headline another hit. Focus is not shat you base the rest of his carrer on. Now if MIB4 or BB3 flops, then youre on to something.

• Like 5

A murderous mercenary hired by the government to do their dirty work for them is a pretty daring role for Smith. But you are entitled to your ignorance.

I know who the character is. It's still the lead in a superhero movie. It's the exact opposite of a daring career movie :rofl:

• Like 5

I have never seen someone pushed so hard (despite multiple rejections) than Ryan Reynolds.

And Reynolds is (still) getting another superhero movie for audiences to ignore. At least this one is apparently gonna cost less than 100M

• Like 2

So American Sniper is just gonna swoop in take the 2014. Came in and stomped all over Guardians and Katniss and stole 50 Shades thunder. This is why I follow box office. You get that one movie hiding in the shadows in the mist of our big franchise  superhero and young adult revelry that comes in and crushes them both to be King of the Box Office. I wasn't ready but it was fun watching.

You win the Oscar for this thread.  And I love your avi!

If they manage to keep the budget low, it would only need to do like $250m WW to break even and I don't see why it shouldn't reach that mark. Its possible R-Rating wouldn't be an issue. Look at American Sniper and FSoG.

It's true. Lower budget, good release date and X-Men connection

Green Lantern's popularity was at an all time high when the movie came out. The popularity of the Blackest Night series was ridiculous.