terrestrial

Weekend Chappie - 13.35M | Focus - 10.01M | 2nd Best Exotic Marigold - 8.54M | Unfinished Business - 4.77M

Still can't get over American Sniper's gross. 472M right now, that's bananas.

AS may manage to pull off an amazing trick: grossing over 300m DOM without hitting 500m WW.

AFAIK the only other time that's happened is Return of the Jedi, back when OS grosses were significantly reduced.

• Like 3

I am pretty sure that both Sony and Fox were expecting much more from these movies when they scheduled them to open Spring. 

I'm pretty sure they gave up on them when they saw what they had on their hands. Unfinished Business looks like ass even by the extremely low standard of Vince Vaughn comedies these days, while CHAPPiE had one of the most tonally confused marketing campaigns I could recall.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

AS may manage to pull off an amazing trick: grossing over 300m DOM without hitting 500m WW.

AFAIK the only other time that's happened is Return of the Jedi, back when OS grosses were significantly reduced.

Return of the Jedi is a weird case though, it made 250M in initial release and made the remaining through re-releases.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure they gave up on them when they saw what they had on their hands. Unfinished Business looks like ass even by the extremely low standard of Vince Vaughn comedies these days, while CHAPPiE had one of the most tonally confused marketing campaigns I could recall.

Sony tried until the end. They changed the marketing campaign 3 times. The OS marketing campaign was always different from the DOM and in the last one or two weeks Sony grabbed the OS campaign and applied it DOM as well. The OS campaign was selling a completely different movie. Just look at the international trailer: 

I did a complete comparison on Tuesday in the Chappie thread after seeing the movie and the story in this trailer is totally different from the story of the movie. 

And I won't even touch the stuff that clearly says that the public is getting oppressed and controlled by the robots created by Jackman and Weaver and that Dev Patel and the thug friends steal one to fight back. That is fucking absurd. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

I think it's time to finally take the plunge... if any weekend to do so, it's today for this movie... I know a lot of people who consider it a recent classic, so here I go.

*starts The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel*

• Like 3

I don't see how thats possible at this point.  Its 27m away from 500m WW right now.  Its got around another 15m in the tank domestically and OS definitely has enough juice left for at least another 15m as well.

• Like 3

I think it's time to finally take the plunge... if any weekend to do so, it's today for this movie... I know a lot of people who consider it a recent classic, so here I go.

*starts The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel*

And tomorrow you can see Britvengers 2: Age of Seniority

• Like 3

Cinderella looks poised for an $80-90 million OW due to lack of kid-friendly films and the Disney brand

Run All Night would be doing well to get an OW above $20 million. $15-18 million is still solid.

Insurgent should open at least to $45 million. I'm thinking $55-60 million, but less legs than the original.

Get Hard looks like a massive breakout to me... $40-50 million OW, $125-175 million finish.

Home should do ok... $20-25 million OW on its way to $70-90 million.

I think this summer is where 2015 makes its massive rebound.

March 2016 looks like a monster though... I count 7 potential $100 million+ DOM grossers. Of those 7, 3 have a shot at $150 million DOM+.

you know mahnamahna I hope your projections are correct but these dull weekends need to stop at least we get back to nicer weekends starting next weekend
  • Like 1

3rd straight weekend of lackluster results.

At least it will pick up in the next 2-3 weeks.

April after Fast 7 is so uneventful as well. 

Unfriended and Paul Blart 2 should do decent enough. I'm thinking $25-30 million for both. However, I agree the rest of April is extremely dull. Everyone seems to be afraid of Avengers 2. 

• Like 1