Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

31 minutes ago, acab said:

I'm always interested in what Villeneuve makes. I've read that this isn't as dark as his latest films so i'd like to see him changing his style a bit.

It's not dark at all. It's cerebral and moving, and quite unlike any alien visitation story you have ever seen.

Probably my most anticipated movie of the year, alongside Rogue One.

• Like 1

This is screening tonight Thursday in @Telemachos backyard of Sherman Oaks under a different name

The Day They Arrive is a new major motion picture staring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forrest Whitaker, directed by Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners and Sicario).

When mysterious spacecraft touch down across the globe, an elite team is put together to investigate – including language expert Louise Banks (Amy Adams). Mankind teeters on the verge of global war as everyone scrambles for answers – and to find them, Banks will take a chance that could threaten her life, and quite possibly humanity.

This movie has not yet been rated. The studio cannot, of course, guarantee the rating that the film will ultimately receive.

You must R.S.V.P. to be admitted by clicking on the tickets below:

Click me to confirm!

Problems with the above link? Please use the link below -

http://bit.ly/1SDsXtO

You guys obviously don't read books, do you? No wonder.....

Anyways, this movie is based on a short story called "A story of your life" by Ted Chiang and won the Nebulla Award for best novella in 2000. That award is equivalent to an Emmy or Oscar but for Sci-fi and fantasy novels. 

The team is working on an excellent source material that's why I said this will likely be the best sci-fi/alien invasion movie of this year with the pedigree behind it.

I hope they keep the title as it is classy. The other one sounds like typical Hollywood nonsense and a sequel to The Day the earth stood still.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm certain that title makes a lot more sense once you read the book, but it still isn't very marketable when paired with a sci fi movie

Why take the easy/generic way? If the studio cuts great trailers/tv spots and the internet talks/hypes it 1/5th as much as they do for their beloved properties then it should be a solid hit. 

Why take the easy/generic way? If the studio cuts great trailers/tv spots and the internet talks/hypes it 1/5th as much as they do for their beloved properties then it should be a solid hit. 

Can you be sure they will, though? I mean, no one posted in this thread for over a year before I bumped it

18 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Can you be sure they will, though? I mean, no one posted in this thread for over a year before I bumped it

And what makes you think that after changing the title to something generic they will be able to market it better and make it a hit? Denis's movies have had short and simple titles yet nothing has broken out. So I suggest to let the title be as it is. Moreover, it shows respect to the author who wrote the story on which the movie is based on. 

As for the internet, most of it is full of hypocrites. Short title or not, most movie sites usually get behind certain movies/properties/franchises that will give them views and increase their visitor traffic. 95% is filled with marvel, dc, star wars or well known IP. Many movies that deserve attention dont get the required coverage. But as a studio you can get in touch with the editors or owners of these sites and request them to do the needful in return for some kind of gain. 

Edited by marveldcfox