Olive

Weekend Estimates: Insurgent 54m | Cinderella $34.5m pg 29

I actually thought Insurgent was better than Divergent and I really wanted it to open over the first movie's numbers, but facts are facts and Lionsgate made a shit job selling Insurgent. And I don't think Get Hard or Home will perform very well either.

That is crazy :lol: TST will be in good shape if it breaks 40M on OW.

I think 18 M more isn't that difficult to do for a sequel to a movie that had a 3x+ multiplier.

The wrong sorts of records are being broken at the mo though. That's kinda interesting but not in the same way.

Like what? How is this March looking to place in terms of attendance? One of the better years? Worse years? Avearge? Cinderellas been the only noticable hit, and all the strong February holdovers came out in the first half of the month.

Wait, will this March even beat February?...

Insurgent's budget is 110M. It won't do that DOM.

It's going to increase overseas, right? So it's basically doing fine. Not amazing, not breaking out, but solid enough.

But what does it matter if the studio is rolling in dollars? I don't get any of it.

There's no major reason to care either way, obviously. If a studio makes money, it'll make more movies. More movies making money means the industry as a whole is doing well. That's the only way it affects us.

• Like 5

Like what? How is this March looking to place in terms of attendance? One of the better years? Worse years? Avearge? Cinderellas been the only noticable hit, and all the strong February holdovers came out in the first half of the month.

Wait, will this March even beat February?...

It's pretty bad, might even be the worst in 20 years.

• Like 1

Fandango's silence regarding advance ticket sales proves right basically. Last year news of Divergent's advance sales were everywhere, this year nothing from Insurgent. Even the one article it got said "Insurgent accounts for 85% of weekend sales among new openers" - basically meaning nothing.

I don't think anyone is against the franchise or similar, just that everyone has been saying that a decrease was definitely possible despite the addition of 3D since the first movie was pretty forgettable and this one hasn't exactly added anything new to make the audiences come back.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is against the franchise or similar, just that everyone has been saying that a decrease was definitely possible despite the addition of 3D since the first movie was pretty forgettable and this one hasn't exactly added anything new to make the audiences come back.

Yes, I think this is basically true... it's appealing to pre-existing fans of the franchise but looks like it hasn't broken out in any meaningful way beyond that.

Possibility 1:
if insurgent follows American Sniper multiple on previews, it does 69m OW. if the legs on OW are equal to the avatar, it finishes with 670M
69m / 670m

Possibilty 2:
If insurgent follows paranormal activity 2 multipler on previews, it does 26M OW. and if legs of the OW are equal to the Undiscovered, it ends with 41m
26M / 41

So it does between 26M-69M in OW and between 41m-670m in Total

Edited by TheMazeRunner23
  • Like 9