Olive

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: Home 54m , GH 34.6m, Insurgent 22.1m, Cind 17.5m (official)

3rd biggest opening for a Dreamworks original movie ever, only behind Kung Fu Panda and Monsters vs Aliens, and the biggest dreamworks opening weekend since Madagascar 3 in 2012. Safe to say no one saw this coming, especially in light of the bad reviews critics gave it.

As I said, this was really unexpected, specially being a DWA flick that apparently had no hype.

But, still, Dragon 2's opening was not such a tall order, Frozen, Lego Movie, Big Hero 6 not being sequels opened bigger than it.

As I said, this was really unexpected, specially being a DWA flick that apparently had no hype.

But, still, Dragon 2's opening was not such a tall order, Frozen, Lego Movie, Big Hero 6 not being sequels opened bigger than it.

Home had a better release date, in terms of competition though.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Great O/S #s for BH6 and 50S. 

Disney though has to be a bit disappointed with Into The Woods.  It's budget was low ($50m) and did better than Annie ($135m ww) but will finish with less than half of Les Miz which is much darker.  Then again Les Miz is far more world famous and Sondheim isn't for everyone and it's doing better than Sweeny Todd.

Into the Woods is not a typical Disney fare and it has a very dark stage 3, so it has probably overachieved a bit. Les Miz is way, way more popular than ITW, and the songs are also way more popular. 200m should be all right as ITW's theater income.

Miss Saigon, Wicked would have a chance to exceed Les Miz when they got made into movies.

• Like 1

But if the RT score for Home really did rise twenty points from, say, Friday morning to Saturday afternoon (as it became clear the movie wouldn't flop) isn't that not suspicious? If a movie is at 33% with three reviews or something, of course the RT score changes dramatically, but if it had 25 reviews before, then it's a success and the critics chiming in later are more charitable toward it... Let's not pretend critics never go into a movie with agendas, or their knives out.

You really think all those critics wrote their reviews after looking up the box office on Friday and didn't already have them written out but not yet published days before?

Into the Woods is not a typical Disney fare and it has a very dark stage 3, so it has probably overachieved a bit. Les Miz is way, way more popular than ITW, and the songs are also way more popular. 200m should be all right as ITW's theater income.

Miss Saigon, Wicked would have a chance to exceed Les Miz when they got made into movies.

Wicked and possibly Book of Mormon if they make them into films will be bigger than Les Mis, I'm not as sure on Saigon being a box office hit despite being an obvious choice for a film adaptation

• Like 1

Home had a better release date, in terms of competition though.

Dragon 2 also had a good release date, the first major animated movie since Rio 2 in April and no other major family competition for the weeks but still it disappointed in DOM. I'm still shocked about that movie's DOM performance 

• Like 1

Cindy and Insurgent keeping up good numbers

It would seem Home took a bit of a bite out of Cindy's numbers. It's not holding up that well against the one-two punch of Insurgent and Home. Oh well. I doubt Disney is crying given the international numbers.

Seriously insane. With Spongebob and Cinderella, it wasn't even as if audiences were really starved for family fare.

Agree

I don't completely agree with those that explain Home success because there wasn't a family film in weeks. There were two: Cinderella (3rd weekend) and Spongebob (8th weekend).

Compare it to HTTYD2. It was Summer and it only faced Maleficent's 3rd weekend. The closest animation film was Rio2, which opened 10 weeks earlier. And look at how HTTYD2 underperformed. Clearly, lack of competition does not translate to inmediate business for an animated film, no matter the quality.

There's only one way to explain Home's success: it was appealing to families.

• Like 1

^haha my sentiments exactly.

Also lol to anybody who says Rihanna wasn't stunt casting. They have her songs in the background the entire movie! She definitely helped.

Who cares? I'd rather have her over Q-Tip Wallis.

It would seem Home took a bit of a bite out of Cindy's numbers. It's not holding up that well against the one-two punch of Insurgent and Home. Oh well. I doubt Disney is crying given the international numbers.

In the scenario you just described it is holding up incredibly well. If it was hit as hard by that one two punch as you say then it would drop a lot more than 50%.  50% is good all things considered.