#ED

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice | 532m overseas | 851m Worldwide

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

So it broke world record for highest opening in superhero movies of all time?

Excellent! I thought AoU was higher!

That record is pointless because on its opening weekend, AoU did not open in all countries. BvS opened in all countries (except Polan and Myanmar) so obviously its OW would be higher.

To be precise, these are the numbers when you add up all territories up to the film's first Sunday in each of them:

Age of Ultron: $429M (incl. a 6-day $156M from China) - w/o China: $273M

Iron Man 3: $315M (incl, a 5-day $65M from China) - w/o China: $250M

Marvel's the Avengers: $259M (incl. a 2-day $19M from China) - w/o China: $240M

BvS: $254M (incl. a 3-day $57.3M from China and w/o Poland*) - w/o China: $196.7M

*Poland's gross is negligible - might add about $2M to the gross.

Another comment I wanted to make. This is part of the Deadline article:

“The reviews did not matter at all,” an exec told me this morning. “Every market is over-performing.”

Completely ridiculous. First of all, we don't know yet that reviews didn't matter. Let's see what the mulitple will be. But if we were to use the daily changes within the weekend and comapre to Furious 7 (exactly the same circumstances):

In the US & Canada, the OW-to-OD ratio for FF7 is 2.18 and for BvS is 2.07. The OD-to-midnight ratio is also lower for BvS.

Overseas, the trajectory of FF7 based on Friday's gross would predict a $265M opening for BvS, yet the film only made $254M (estimate pending confirmation obviously). The celebration that it opened higher than FF7 and that it broke the OW record for the Easter weekend is also pointless because FF7 wasn't released in China, Russia or Japan on its Easter weekend.

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Quigley said:

That record is pointless because on its opening weekend, AoU did not open in all countries. BvS opened in all countries (except Polan and Myanmar) so obviously its OW would be higher.

To be precise, these are the numbers when you add up all territories up to the film's first Sunday in each of them:

Age of Ultron: $429M (incl. a 6-day $156M from China) - w/o China: $273M

Iron Man 3: $315M (incl, a 5-day $65M from China) - w/o China: $250M

Marvel's the Avengers: $259M (incl. a 2-day $19M from China) - w/o China: $240M

BvS: $254M (incl. a 3-day $57.3M from China and w/o Poland*) - w/o China: $196.7M

*Poland's gross is negligible - might add about $2M to the gross.

Another comment I wanted to make. This is part of the Deadline article:

“The reviews did not matter at all,” an exec told me this morning. “Every market is over-performing.”

Completely ridiculous. First of all, we don't know yet that reviews didn't matter. Let's see what the mulitple will be. But if we were to use the daily changes within the weekend and comapre to Furious 7 (exactly the same circumstances):

In the US & Canada, the OW-to-OD ratio for FF7 is 2.18 and for BvS is 2.07. The OD-to-midnight ratio is also lower for BvS.

Overseas, the trajectory of FF7 based on Friday's gross would predict a $265M opening for BvS, yet the film only made $254M (estimate pending confirmation obviously). The celebration that it opened higher than FF7 and that it broke the OW record for the Easter weekend is also pointless because FF7 wasn't released in China, Russia or Japan on its Easter weekend.

Well obviously that the numbers of markets made a huge difference but a record is a record and they have to report it and make some comparasions

theres no negative spin on this WW opening IMO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PanaMovie said:

theres no negative spin on this WW opening IMO

My point is that the film might gross less than The Dark Knight Rises worldwide, so there really should be no wild celebrations. And anyone comparing it to FF7 must be kidding cuz that film made $1.5B WW, which BvS will never reach.

However, it is definitely a win for WB. It will make a profit and it clearly shows that there's an audience for DC team-up films (and the brand is apparently immune to critic's reviews: Green Lantern, Man of Steel and now BvS). I even have to admit I wasn't expecting $1B WW (since the foreign audience was a wildcard). Obviously, with China's growth the $1B mark is easier and easier to reach.

8 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

Great post Quigley. I hate how so many here seem to eat up the records thought up by the studio executives without taking one step back. You'd think that on a box office forum people would know better.

You'd think you would know better how to read. Records need no spinning, they are facts. It's not WB's fault that they had a better opening strategy. 1 billion for a pre-JLA film with great potential for future Batman and WW films is an enermous success. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

Great post Quigley. I hate how so many here seem to eat up the records thought up by the studio executives without taking one step back. You'd think that on a box office forum people would know better.

10 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

You'd think you would know better how to read. Records need no spinning, they are facts. It's not WB's fault that they had a better opening strategy. 1 billion for a pre-JLA film with great potential for future Batman and WW films is an enermous success. 

Cynosure, I don't think you should even bother to answer.

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

That's what I was saying

They're records and they happen it doesn't matter the number of markets

BvS had a great weekend OS and there's no negative spin on that...it it's enough for the DCU? I think so

It certainly will not finish with 1.5B WW but it doesn't need to...at least it has the OW records in lc and dollars in some places and that's a fact 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Point is that Marvel fumbled the record with the spreaded opening. No one is going to do the maths that actually TA and AoU could have been higher. DC takes the record with an average film. Imagine when they get it right. 

DC is sssoooooooooo FAR behind the Marvel Cinematic universe it isn't even close. DC has a long way to go before they can catch MCU. If it's even possible!

BvS will make around 950 mil WW and not even close to even be within the top 4-5 Marvel Films.

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

DC is sssoooooooooo FAR behind the Marvel Cinematic universe it isn't even close. DC has a long way to go before they can catch MCU. If it's even possible!

BvS will make around 950 mil WW and not even close to even be within the top 4-5 Marvel Films.

It will beat most of their films with only their second film. Man of Steel has beaten a good number of their films as well.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Records are facts but they can be more or less meaningful. For example no one would take the record of the 'highest opening weekend for a movie starting with the letter B and  opening on a leap year Good Friday' seriously. Well imo it's simply the same for this WW opening-weekend record, and for several reasons :

-Exchange rate variations.

-The number of markets on OW varies depending on the movie.

-Market expansion : China's growth means this 'record' will keep on falling in upcoming years provided that simultaneous releases become more frequent.

I'm not saying the record isn't a record, I'm saying that when combining all this, it makes for a meaningless record.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

It will beat most of their films with only their second film. Man of Steel has beaten a good number of their films as well.

Yeah, it would be like 8th LOL. It hasn't beaten very many at all. This is pretty much a Justice League team-up movie anyways, and it won't even gross 1 billion. LOL. DC is FAR behind.

5 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Well, we could remember how much did the second film of the MCU, The Incredible Hulk, or that no one of the first 5 MCU films did more than MoS or BvS... Everyone can make unfair comparisons. I can not compare Hulk with Batman+Superman+WW together, and you can not compare a 12 films / 8 years universe with another with just 1 film+1 weekend universe. Let's wait until, at least, Justice League part I, to make more fair comparisons.

And IMO, this will reach 1 billion. Barely, but it will. April is clear.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, FilmBuff said:

Yeah, it would be like 8th LOL. It hasn't beaten very many at all. This is pretty much a Justice League team-up movie anyways, and it won't even gross 1 billion. LOL. DC is FAR behind.

No, it's not. Both MOS and BVS made more money sans Avengers and AOU.

Just wait until JL comes out. It will be even bigger. I will bet that DC'S first 10 will beat Marvels first 10, box office wise.

35 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Exactly. Not to mention that a standalone Batman film could be bigger than JLA. Certainly bigger than any IM films. DCUU will own MCUU the next five years. I'm talking strictly MCUU, Marvel hit the jackpot with GotG. Will see if Suicide Squad can do the same for DC.

Suicide Squad could do really well, if it can match GOTG's numbers, that will be a huge win for WB.