kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

19 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

By that logic BaTB and JB would'n't have done jack squat.

Not to mention The Meg is basically a Jaws reboot for all intents and purposes (look at its marketing) and it looks like a lot of young people are excited about it.

Edited by MrSinister
Spider fish, spider fish

https://deadline.com/2018/06/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-most-viral-sony-trailer-1202406584/

The first full trailer for Sony’s animated Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse has clocked 44M views since its Tuesday drop, with the spot standing as one of the Culver City lot’s most viral rate of 32:1 in its first 24-hours.

That’s a first day viral rate up there with Sony’s Sausage Party, and beating the Spider-Verse‘s first teaser (11:3) and even Warner Bros.’ Lego Batman (11:4). Also within the first day of Spider-Verse‘s release, it totaled 164K social conversations and 26M views across all social platforms, (Facebook, YouTube, etc).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

By that logic BaTB and JB would'n't have done jack squat.

First of all, Batb was 1991. Poppins was what? Summer 1964? I don't think you realize just how far ago that was. Secondly, Beast and Book were adapted into a new mediums. Jungle Book even skipped the Pixar/DWA/Blue Sky phase and went full on hyper realistic live action. Poppins is still live action, so no change. Thirdly, Beast is a princess movie, so Belle continued to have exposure way past the 90s. Poppins is a beloved musical, but they're not the same situation.

It was my opinion that Poppins won't be the biggest omgamaze to this generation, I didn't say it was a fact. I already admitted it's a timeless movie. And if I recall correctly, Beast turned out to be a huge hit with 20's and 30's year old women, whose ages match those who grew up with the original. What Poppins lacks for in kids and teens, it may make up with old folks.

Imo all 4 movies, Grinch, Spider man, Poppins, and Ralph have something to prove at the end of the year.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

What Poppins lacks for in kids

I wonder if for old enough classic we do not get some grand parents taking their grand kids to theater phenomenon going on, still bringing kids into theater.

34 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Hot Take: No family film goes over $300M, they’re going to cannabilize each other.

I think Disney would be very disappointed with MPR under 300. I am lowering expectations for it though, just because of all of the competition as you say. Thinking about 350 for MPR, 275-300 for WiR2, 175 for this, 150 for Grinch, and Nutcracker bombs with sub 100. I think the market can accommodate those numbers during the holiday, but yeah everything may be hurt somewhat. 

• Like 2

And if anyone thinks this holiday is bad for family film cannibalization, it's just the warm up for next summer when we have 4 family films all aiming for well over 300 in two months. 

Meanwhile, Frozen 2 hitting the jackpot just like its predecessor did with no direct competition. It's only direct competitor in all of Nov, Dec, and Jan is literally Sonic the Hedgehog. Ugh, why does that of all family movies have to be the one to get that luxury, again

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Thinking about 350 for MPR, 275-300 for WiR2, 175 for this, 150 for Grinch, and Nutcracker bombs with sub 100.

That’s a bit to high for Ralph and a bit too low for Grinch. Both open within the span of two weeks within each other, and that’s too high of a jump for Ralph. Both will also be hurt by Bumblebee, Poppins and Spiderverse. Something like Lorax adjusted numbers for Grinch and $235M-$250M for Ralph 2. Poppins also isn’t sparking social media on fire. I can see $175M for Spiderverse but that’s due to legs. However an advantage all of them share is that after CR nothing for families will be big. Smallfoot is probably screwed, Goosebumps 2 is eh and Clock seems too off putting for families.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And if anyone thinks this holiday is bad for family film cannibalization, it's just the warm up for next summer when we have 4 family films all aiming for well over 300 in two months. 

Lion King is going to destroy all of them easily. In fact I can see Lion King over Aladdin + Pets 2 + TS4. That’s going to be a bonafide 4 quadrant monster.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

Seriously? Toy Story 4 is pretty damn serious competition.  TS3 made over a billion dollars worldwide, so just saying that TLK will curbstomp it is pretty presumptuous.

Also, I normally wouldn't include CBM's in the same category as something like the Lion King or Toy Story, but Spider-Man is super kid friendly.  Will also probably compete for kids and families.

This trailer getting a surprising amount of attention and interest is definitely  bad news for both AQM and MPR. Parts of its demo could spillover into both of those and really affect them if this goes 200+. A lot of us weren’t counting on this making a big dent 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This trailer getting a surprising amount of attention and interest is definitely  bad news for both AQM and MPR. Parts of its demo could spillover into both of those and really affect them if this goes 200+. A lot of us weren’t counting on this making a big dent 

I can see a mini Greatest Showman/Jumanji situation where Spiderverse opens around $25M-$30M but legs it to $160M-$200M if Lord/Miller deliver. However I wonder if Bumblebee will hurt it too as I can see that breaking out. 

On a side note, Hailee Steinfeld and to a lesser extent @WrathOfHan should have a good holiday from this and Bumblebee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This trailer getting a surprising amount of attention and interest

Still a top 14 trend on Youtube. Plus it’s about to get a lot of exposure in front of Incredibles and HT3 shows this summer. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

This is doing $50m+ opening weekend 

In December? Nah. You can count the number of non-Star Wars/non-Middle Earth films that have done that on one hand. I can't see this having that much hype. It's much more likely to open to 30-35 and then have crazy legs to 200 or something. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Meanwhile, Frozen 2 hitting the jackpot just like its predecessor did with no direct competition. It's only direct competitor in all of Nov, Dec, and Jan is literally Sonic the Hedgehog. Ugh, why does that of all family movies have to be the one to get that luxury, again

Frozen was a beast.  No one wants to release against that.

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Frozen was a beast.  No one wants to release against that.

@MovieMan89 This ^^

The rather barren family slate not withstanding, we go through this about every 5/6 years which oh yeah, would be about when Frozen 1 was also released... its a normative cycle, in addition to the fact that no one wants to be potentially buried underneath Elsa's winter.... That being said, the first was lighting in a bottle and will be hard pressed to top 350m IMO....