kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

Man this looks like so much fun. Hopefully this plays in front of Incredibles, I feel like the crowd will eat up the "love you dad" bit. And it's still the #3 trend on Youtube. Could call it a formality and say #2 since the current top video is a Youtube-sponsored one. Very impressive.

PS this also already has more trailer views than Ralph/princesses, even though Ralph has a 2 day headstart. Also 326k likes to Ralph's 195k. Nice.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Man this looks like so much fun. Hopefully this plays in front of Incredibles, I feel like the crowd will eat up the "love you dad" bit. And it's still the #3 trend on Youtube. Could call it a formality and say #2 since the current top video is a Youtube-sponsored one. Very impressive.

PS this also already has more trailer views than Ralph/princesses, even though Ralph has a 2 day headstart. Also 326k likes to Ralph's 195k. Nice.

almost want to make a crazy club : spider-verse over grinch dom. but will wait for grinch's new trailer.

some might argue that being a spidey film, beating grinch os or ww will be easier but i think the unconventinoal animation will come in the way in some markets.

1 hour ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

13m views and 307k likes.

I'm fully expecting this to break out. 

Movie looks awesome

I think it'll do gangbusters on Netflix, and make a healthy profit at the BO, but I'm not convinced it's going to be huge at the BO relative to expectations in this thread. I'm thinking more "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and less Inside Out or Homecoming. It doesn't have the hook that demands you see it in theaters.

52 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I'm not convinced it's going to be huge at the BO relative to expectations in this thread. I'm thinking more "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and less Inside Out or Homecoming. It doesn't have the hook that demands you see it in theaters.

This thread in general hasnt been giving lofty predictions. It's Ralph, Poppins, and Grinch with the plethora of sky high predicts, not this. Though with that argument, there's no real hook with Grinch either. I'm young enough to still remember and know the 2000 Grinch and old enough to have no care to go see this new one without a child, which I don't have.

I've also seen $400m or so predicts thrown out for Poppins, though we have absolutely no basis for that other than it's a Disney movie during Christmas. Yes the princesses, will add exposure for Ralph, but how much it adds is also up in the air. Even with the princess hype, the lastest Ralph trailer hasn't gained the same traction as the princess-less first one.

I'm not saying this is about to be Homecoming 2.0, but surely it can beat Cloudy at least. And honestly, I have no idea in June how these holiday movies are gonna do. All 4 of these movies are actually kinda hard to predict. Yet I personally don't see how Grinch, Ralph, and Poppins all pull $300-400m and this only does $120. Not that'll fully translate to the BO, but he is the most popular character after all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jandrew said:

I've also seen $400m or so predicts thrown out for Poppins, though we have absolutely no basis for that other than it's a Disney movie during Christmas.

Plus the original Poppins was enormous. Not on board with 400m yet, but it's got the pedigree to do something big.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Plus the original Poppins was enormous. Not on board with 400m yet, but it's got the pedigree to do something big.

Yeah true, but like many of our parents weren't even born yet when that came out. While Poppins' popularity has spanned generations, it's hard for me to imagine a bunch of kids today getting super excited about something that was made back in their grandparent's day.

I mean Jaws has become a timeless movie too, but if they made a Jaws reboot tomorrow, really how many young millennials and gen Z would be jumping up and down for that? I think Poppins should be big too, but man 50+ years is a long gap for me to make a solid predict. VCR's didn't even last that long lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jandrew said:

Yeah true, but like many of our parents weren't even born yet when that came out. While Poppins' popularity has spanned generations, it's hard for me to imagine a bunch of kids today getting super excited about something that was made back in their grandparent's day. 

I mean Jaws has become a timeless movie too, but if they made a Jaws reboot tomorrow, really how many young millennials and gen Z would be jumping up and down for that? I think Poppins should be big too, but man 50+ years is a long gap for me to make a solid predict. VCR's didn't even last that long lol. 

Yeah, it's a weird one. I don't think there are any sequels that have had this long a gap between entries.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

I’m thinking around 300 DOM for The Poppins Strikes Back but I don’t think time is an issue. Jungle Book opened to over 100 million.

On 6/7/2018 at 2:40 AM, BK007 said:

The animation looks stunning, but why didn't they just give the kid a black name? Miles Morales or whatever sounds like a Latino. 

(I just Wiki'd it to see the character was meant as an Afro-Latino)

But that doesn't make sense coz his dad's black and presumably his mum's Latino but the surname is Morales? 

Anyway, not a big deal, but it was just weird to me at first. Almost like blackwashing a Latino character when that wasn't the intention.

Blackwashing a Latino character? It’s an odd concept. There are hundreds of millions of Latinos with Afro descent. Usually due to slavery in countries like Colombia those with more African ancestry tend to be poorer, and often  in more isolated regions but whether it’s islands cuba, DR, Puerto Rico, or more landlocked areas like Guyana, Brazil, Colombia. Unlike in the US where there was a huge black pride movement at the end of segregation, Spanish, French and Portuguese colonies never really had the one drop rule and a lot of Latinos that aren’t overtly Black aren’t quick to point out their African heritage (as many weren’t quick to celebrate their Indigenous heritage until recently), but with their ancestral heritage a lot of countries that may CIA certify as 10-30% black and 70%+ white (CIA doesn’t consider Latino a race, neither do a lot of these countries) might be closer to 50% if it was America. In the US you really don’t have a lot of mixed race people that consider themselves white or people like Sammy Sosa dieing their skin Casper white and looking at it as an improvement. Of course a lot of the more African Latinos have a harder time making it to the US since like in the US they’ve also historically faced discrimination there so Miles having a distinctly African American father and non Afro Puerto Rican mother is fairly realistic (I realize PR is the US too)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jandrew said:

By that logic BaTB and JB would'n't have done jack squat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

By that logic BaTB and JB would'n't have done jack squat.

I would agree that thsoe kind of classic are quite different and that include Poppins, a movie that is always in the list of the year best seller

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2013, #67

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2014, #66

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2015 #48

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2016, #36

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2017, #41

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2018, #29

According to the numbers it is getting close to 200m in sales.

I would also imagine that this will be the kind of sequel that will not require the audience to have seen the first.