kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

The animation looks stunning, but why didn't they just give the kid a black name? Miles Morales or whatever sounds like a Latino. 

(I just Wiki'd it to see the character was meant as an Afro-Latino)

But that doesn't make sense coz his dad's black and presumably his mum's Latino but the surname is Morales? 

Anyway, not a big deal, but it was just weird to me at first. Almost like blackwashing a Latino character when that wasn't the intention.

8 hours ago, JB33 said:

Thanks for this! :hahaha:

God, I can't wait for December. @IronJimbo @JamesCameronScholar are you guys in agreement with @Pure Spirit on the Alita prediction? Just want to get all you guys on the record.

He's lowballing it. Alita's floor is $12 Billion. I'm expecting the Chinese to really love it.

4 hours ago, BK007 said:

The animation looks stunning, but why didn't they just give the kid a black name? Miles Morales or whatever sounds like a Latino. 

(I just Wiki'd it to see the character was meant as an Afro-Latino)

But that doesn't make sense coz his dad's black and presumably his mum's Latino but the surname is Morales? 

Anyway, not a big deal, but it was just weird to me at first. Almost like blackwashing a Latino character when that wasn't the intention.

Some points here need clarification.

Unfortunately, Americans of African descent and European descent all bear similar names because of slavery (this is common knowledge). A large number of them have changed their names to develop more of identity for themselves but a lot of them haven't. Not to mention that a lot of Afro-Latinos DO bear Morales as a surname, so there's really no question of "blackwashing" (?) either way.

All this being said, Miles father's name is Jefferson Davis but because of his shady past, it was agreed that Miles will bear his mother's name. It did look a little weird at first but a number of people do bear their mother's name for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 1

Gonna be polarizing imo. I see the creativity in the trailer but didn't work for me. Theater experience could be different though. The very act of multiple spider-men/women being such a blase thing reduces the epicness.

20 minutes ago, Jessie said:

This won't even make 50m 

it's dom surely must beat smh's od ;)

peter rabbit did 25 ow 4.6x 115 dom. will be amazed if this does less than that ow and much worse legs wise (peter rabbit's legs were brilliant, beating zootopia but december should help spidey). 

thinking 35 ow 4.5x 155-160 dom.

Edited by A2k Rex
rethinking legs

I think the issue for this film is that most people associate animated CBMs with direct-to-video (a regular thing for both DC and Marvel). I think the animation and story look great, but it will be a challenge to convince the GA that this is a theater-worthy experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BK007 said:

You do know that one can be both Latino and black, right?

Zoe Saldana, Tessa Thompson, Rosario Dawson...

Just like one can be both Latino and white, like Edgar Ramirez, Alexis Bledel, Aubrey Plaza...

Also, a black name?

You mean like a stereotypical name based on how white people think blacks are named, like DeShawn Brown or something?

• Like 3

The budget for this will likely be sub $70M which is good BO wise. Emoji, Rabbit and HT3 are $50M and The Star was $18M. Smurfs was $60M. My guess is probably $60M for this.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Deathlife said:

Some points here need clarification.

Unfortunately, Americans of African descent and European descent all bear similar names because of slavery (this is common knowledge). A large number of them have changed their names to develop more of identity for themselves but a lot of them haven't. Not to mention that a lot of Afro-Latinos DO bear Morales as a surname, so there's really no question of "blackwashing" (?) either way.

All this being said, Miles father's name is Jefferson Davis but because of his shady past, it was agreed that Miles will bear his mother's name. It did look a little weird at first but a number of people do bear their mother's name for a variety of reasons.

Cool, I don't live in the US so at first glance to me it sounds Latino, plus as I mentioned, his father is black. 

He's a cop, no? But maybe that goes into spoiler territory so it doesn't matter. 

Thanks for the additional info! 

2 hours ago, StevenG said:

You do know that one can be both Latino and black, right?

Zoe Saldana, Tessa Thompson, Rosario Dawson...

Just like one can be both Latino and white, like Edgar Ramirez, Alexis Bledel, Aubrey Plaza...

Also, a black name?

You mean like a stereotypical name based on how white people think blacks are named, like DeShawn Brown or something?

Of course. I'm just saying that if they animated a black Spiderman and a black family, then it seemed like they should have given him a name that doesn't sound Latino. 

No, I'm talking about his surname, but that was clarified by someone else. 

And yes, although I do know there are a lot of mixed children around the world these days, I feel representation of minorities isn't at the level where it is good enough to not be diluted as a catch-all. For example, most Asian roles, if not completely whitewashed, are played by half-whites so their surnames are still always white ones. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Cool, I don't live in the US so at first glance to me it sounds Latino, plus as I mentioned, his father is black. 

He's a cop, no? But maybe that goes into spoiler territory so it doesn't matter. 

Thanks for the additional info! 

Of course. I'm just saying that if they animated a black Spiderman and a black family, then it seemed like they should have given him a name that doesn't sound Latino. 

No, I'm talking about his surname, but that was clarified by someone else. 

And yes, although I do know there are a lot of mixed children around the world these days, I feel representation of minorities isn't at the level where it is good enough to not be diluted as a catch-all. For example, most Asian roles, if not completely whitewashed, are played by half-whites so their surnames are still always white ones. 

They didn't make him up for this film. Miles is an established character already. He's even mentioned in Homecoming.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wow, trailer still #1 trending on YT. Looks like this may get the second most views out of trailerpalooza week. Would not have expected that. That certainly bodes well for it.

I'm assuming you're counting Bumblebee as #1, and to that I raise you the true #1:

I could see this doing a bit better than Lego Batman. It’s also getting some Disney support so I won’t be surprised if they merchandise and promote this heavy (idk what they have for Christmas this year apart from poppins, so this could be an Xmas seller)

Edited by AJG

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

I could see this doing a bit better than Lego Batman.

Lego Batman felt like something you had to know the lore to get the jokes and limited is potential (probably why it worked not so well oversea in markets that didn't grew up with batman like the US).

This feel like a near 0 resistance movie, the voice over making it clear it will take you by the hand and explain you the what ? There is more than one superman spiderman now ? That most people will feel.

It could break up or it could loose to distinguish itself enough from the direct to video stuff.

Edited by Barnack