kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

On 1/23/2019 at 1:29 PM, The Gotham Bank said:

You're the only person I've seen say that, maybe it's not overrated but just not your type? Did that thought ever cross your mind? It's totally fine if you dislike a movie that's genuinely good or do you actually care about people blaming you over bad taste because of that?

/wave

I didn't like the film either.

"just not your type of movie" - ya know its possible someone might just have a different opinion from you. ;)

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

In hindsight, I’m a little embarrassed that I was worried about this movie’s performance. I don’t know how I forgot that with the exception of Star Wars, movies that open in December tend to have lower opening weekends and significantly stronger legs. 

10 hours ago, Avatree said:

/wave

I didn't like the film either.

"just not your type of movie" - ya know its possible someone might just have a different opinion from you. ;)

Saying you don't like a movie and saying a movie is one of the most overrated movies of the year are two different things.

Edited by The Gotham Bank

15 minutes ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Saying you don't like a movie and saying a movie is one of the most overrated movies of the year are two different things.

Well, she didn’t like other well-received movies from 2018 either...so her tastes are a bit different from ours.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 6:11 AM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Well, she didn’t like other well-received movies from 2018 either...so her tastes are a bit different from ours.

I liked plenty of well-received films from this year.

for instance, these were my top 4 favourite films of the year. all with high critical acclaim, RT scores see:

they shall never grow old - 98% 8.7/10

you were never really here - 89% 8.2/10

the ballad of buster scruggs - 92% 7.9/10

sorry to bother you - 93% 7.7/10

Edited by Avatree

I don't think $200mn is entirely ruled out. 7th Week is $8mn approx with Thursday just 8% down from Week 6. This means Week 8th could be $7mn plus as well. And then steady run throughout February, oscar buzz, even with say average 25% drop every week, it goes to $198mn. A little better and $200mn is there.

Won Annie Awards for:

- Best Animated Feature

- Character Animation In An Animated Feature Production

- Character Design In An Animated Feature Production

- Production Design In An Animated Feature Production

- Writing In An Animated Feature Production

On 2/2/2019 at 8:01 AM, Charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think $200mn is entirely ruled out. 7th Week is $8mn approx with Thursday just 8% down from Week 6. This means Week 8th could be $7mn plus as well. And then steady run throughout February, oscar buzz, even with say average 25% drop every week, it goes to $198mn. A little better and $200mn is there.

Lego2 and HTTYD3 will make it tough. 

Both Upside and ITSV are 25 away from their milestones. But ITSV's weekend is half of Upside. That means that if Upside legs it and adds 25 more, ITSV needs to leg it twice as good despite animation competition increasing. Best Animation Oscar does not provide not enough buzz to make a difference without a big push from the studio.

Having said that, if ITSV adds 20 more after this weekend of about 4.5 for 195 and wins the Oscar, Sony might be tempted to re-release it in 1000-1500 theatres to get to 200. But if it's doing low-190s which I think it will do as Feb and March competition rises, Sony will let it put.

I know Lord and Miller didn't direct it, but they had a big hand in making it - Imagine, going from no nomination for Lego Movie 4 years ago at the Oscars and now Spider-verse basically kill the competition on 80% of the award circuit. 

12 minutes ago, YLF said:

Everyone ignores the actual director... like, he’s never mentioned. Why is this?

directors relationship with animated films is very different from that of live action films.

directors names are often ignored with even the most popular and highest acclaimed animated films.

Can you even name for me, for example the directors of the lion king? (the highest grossing animated film)

can you correctly guess even how many credited directors for the lion king there are?

25 minutes ago, Avatree said:

for example the directors of the lion king? (the highest grossing animated film)

can you correctly guess even how many credited directors for the lion king there are?

Rob Minkoff and Roger Allers.

• Like 2