Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Really solid numbers, obviously this is going to be massive, which we all knew.  I'm rooting for it, even though I thought it was inferior to The Avengers is just about every way.  Still really entertaining though.

These kind of releases help me remember how special Potter was in terms of rush factor.  43.5 million from midnights, not early preview, but midnights, is still so, so staggering.  I think there's no question that Star Wars will probably take it from come December but without the continuation of that franchise I think it would have been a record that could have stood for at least the next 5-10 years.

• Like 2

When Walt Disney reports that Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron earned $27.6 million on its advance-night Thursday showings in 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D, it means that, under normal circumstances, we’re looking at what amounts to 9-12% of its opening weekend. So just running those numbers, we’re looking at a debut weekend of $230m-$306m. So does that mean we’re looking at the first $300m debut weekend?  Well I would presume not, but that certainly would snap me out of my relative box office doldrums. But first some box office history for those who came in late.

:unsure: 

1322.gif

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum
  • Like 7

BOM has been slacking more than usual recently.

I know they're doing fewer and fewer articles but still, this is one of the biggest weekends of the year, and certainly the biggest weekend for a single film. It's a bit odd for there to be no forecast.

I'm feeling a bit like I'm catching the BK007. Just getting tired of movies in a sense after Avengers

Well except for Star Wars. Hopefully Fury Road will take me out of this mode in a few weeks

I know they're doing fewer and fewer articles but still, this is one of the biggest weekends of the year, and certainly the biggest weekend for a single film. It's a bit odd for there to be no forecast.

I agree. It's the first time in three years where a movie has a legit shot at breaking the OW record and BOM opts out on a forecast. Lame.

Great number. As usual, there's some calling it a disappointment when in all likelihood it's still gonna end up in the expected 210-220m range anyway. Funny how such a big number doesn't feel that exciting anymore.

• Like 1

This article gets ridiculous as you read on.

For what it’s worth, if Avengers 2 has the same “did 4.2x its Thursday number over Friday” pattern as Avengers 1, the Friday number will be around $118m.

He is just doing the math. He doesn't think it will break $300m OW either.

• Like 2

I agree. It's the first time in three years where a movie has a legit shot at breaking the OW record and BOM opts out on a forecast. Lame.

It's not recent, BOM has been increasingly dysfunctional since last year.

Great number. As usual, there's some calling it a disappointment when in all likelihood it's still gonna end up in the expected 210-220m range anyway. Funny how such a big number doesn't feel that exciting anymore.

A 210m OW would mean a gross no higher than $530m.

That's what happens when records are broken seemingly every week. Eventually 'massive' just doesn't cut it.