grim22

Tuesday numbers: AOU 13.13M (slightly down)

I used same quote last year in Japan thread with same result

You messed up Bluto's quote!  It's actually, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!? NOOOO!"

But, yeah, it's sad that anything less than 100% of the Internet-viewing population get that reference!

even though sat was deflated and the weekend couldve neared 200m, mon-tues are running 30% behind TA1. That shows the weakness going forward. I say it maintains that % through the weekend.

74m weekend down 61% , 30% less than TA1s 2nd weekend

310m total

I'd buy that. If general WOM is like my initial reactions of "It was...good? I guess?" it would affect the legs.

The ~22% admissions drop from TDK to TDKR would take AoU to a $483m total. Still big, of course, but just further illustrating how much of a phenomenon TA1 was (both in terms of up-front demand, and WOM).

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

This film is having one of those annoying runs that pleases neither the fans nor the meltdown lovers. Like TDKR it's performing decently by 'sequel to a phenomenon' standards, but there's little fun in that.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

Yes, read my above comment, I would not be surprised at a ticket sales dropoff on the level of TDKR. (And I don't want to hear about the shooting, my IMAX matinee showing the day after the shooting was still absolutely packed, so the idea that everyone was scared away is off-base IMO. Its mixed WOM played just as much a part in its drop from TDK, if not more - I say more.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

You messed up Bluto's quote!  It's actually, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!? NOOOO!"

But, yeah, it's sad that anything less than 100% of the Internet-viewing population get that reference!

Call it a paraphrase. We abbreviate, alter and out right mess them up all the time. 

Cary Grant never quite said "Judy Judy Judy"

Bogart never said "play it again Sam"

Robert Duvalls. " I love the smell of napalm in the morning, smells like victory" lot more there to that one

But we tend to get them

That's of course if your familiar with these pre 1980 movies

If your not then you will be put on "Double secret probation!"

• Like 1

This film is having one of those annoying runs that pleases neither the fans nor the meltdown lovers. Like TDKR it's performing decently by 'sequel to a phenomenon' standards, but there's little fun in that.

Yeah, it's hard to be too disappointed when you remind yourself that only one movie in history has made more over its first five days than AOU... but a lot of us thought it had a legit chance to match/exceed The Avengers' records.  I was never firmly on the $600-mil train, but I was very confident it would open over $200.

This upcoming weekend will be very interesting.  With virtually no competition, can it buck the trend we're seeing so far this week and hold strong?

Call it a paraphrase. We abbreviate, alter and out right mess them up all the time. 

Cary Grant never quite said "Judy Judy Judy"

Bogart never said "play it again Sam"

Robert Duvalls. " I love the smell of napalm in the morning, smells like victory" lot more there to that one

But we tend to get them

That's of course if your familiar with these pre 1980 movies

If your not then you will be put on "Double secret probation!"

Point taken; pass given!

The bigger point is that there are always a few people who earnestly correct the Germany/Japan reference, every time I see that quote used. I guess it's more acceptable in other forums on the 'Net, but on a Box-Office/Film site?!?  "Animal House" should be required viewing!

• Like 1

So true. Still hope the haters wouldn't get the last laugh though. They've been unbearable as it is.

I'm matching Ta domestic was ridiculous.

However matching Ta opening seemed reasonable.

It's just such a huge opening to over come.

You need near record Fri sat and sunday to beat the record.

I'm matching Ta domestic was ridiculous.

However matching Ta opening seemed reasonable.

It's just such a huge opening to over come.

You need near record Fri sat and sunday to beat the record.

It's like Magic Johnson used to say when he did color commentary, if one team has more points than the other at the end of the game, that team will win

• Like 1

Yes, read my above comment, I would not be surprised at a ticket sales dropoff on the level of TDKR. (And I don't want to hear about the shooting, my IMAX matinee showing the day after the shooting was still absolutely packed, so the idea that everyone was scared away is off-base IMO. Its mixed WOM played just as much a part in its drop from TDK, if not more - I say more.)

IMAX was pre-sold out pretty much the entire weekend. The shooting absolutely had an effect on the regular shows and it's delusional to deny this. Nobody said everyone was scared away. The movie would have made $30m on opening weekend if that was the case. Movie likely would've made $175m opening and around $480m total. Still a pretty big drop from TDK admissions.

• Like 1